Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disconnecting battery triggers alarm

Views : 1384

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2015, 20:26   #1
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Angry Disconnecting battery triggers alarm

Hello everyone, I come here as a freshman in hopes that one of you will save what's left of my sanity. I recently purchased a 1999 Volvo V40 T4 and there is one thing that has been driving me crazy - whenever I disconnect the battery the alarm ruptures my eardrums and won't shut up until I reconnect it. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a fault or a feature, but I'd much prefer to do my repairs in silence.

A couple of weeks ago my battery died. The remote control wouldn't work of course, so I opened it with a key and what do you know, the alarm went off. I couldn't turn it off, because taking the battery out did nothing, this bastard has it's own battery. So I had to leave it and pray that the neighbors wouldn't set it on fire.

Does everyone's Volvo do the same? I noticed there's a keyhole on a black little thing near the airbox, (at first I thought it was the siren, but I found that the siren should be inside the front wing?) but it is tiny and I have no such key, is it for turning the alarm off in such a situation? Maybe there's a fuse to save me? Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ww1dm1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 20:47   #2
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Strange - that is not the case with my vehicle. I have not had any issue disconnecting any time I needed to.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 21:46   #3
v40alex
I do like a V40

It's normal if the alarm is active as it's one of the anti tamper features, the siren should stop after five minutes. Sounds like your system is staying armed. I'm a bit unsure about your remote fob - do your indicators flash twice when you unlock with the remote?
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 00:11   #4
druid
V40 Owner

Need pic's of your (key)hole though, its an odd one!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 18:04   #5
ww1dm1

Alright, sorry for the late reply, apparently my brake pads decided to fall apart in the middle of a trip, had some bigger problems. One important point, I think the alarm system is aftermarket. Among the mostly useless garbage I got together with the car there was a couple of remotes with the Volvo logo. Here's a picture of it, is that what the original alarm fob looks like? The one I use, though looks like this (the trunk open button doesn't even work). The ultrasonic sensors don't seem to work either, not sure what was the point of an aftermarket system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Strange - that is not the case with my vehicle. I have not had any issue disconnecting any time I needed to.
Well, in that case I clearly have a problem. A simple fuse could save me here, but if it's an aftermarket system then I don't even know where to look :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
It's normal if the alarm is active as it's one of the anti tamper features, the siren should stop after five minutes. Sounds like your system is staying armed. I'm a bit unsure about your remote fob - do your indicators flash twice when you unlock with the remote?
I'm pretty sure the alarm should be disarmed, no other situation triggers it. The indicators do flash as supposed to, the doors unlock, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Need pic's of your (key)hole though, its an odd one!
That's naughty. Here you go: 1 2 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fob1.jpg (121.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg fob2.jpg (128.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg keyhole_far.jpg (145.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg keyhole_near.jpg (94.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg keyhole_nearer.jpg (98.0 KB, 13 views)
Old May 5th, 2015, 18:23   #6
druid
V40 Owner

It looks after market to me, given that you have a T4 it may have been an insurance thing in the past with a previous owner. I HAD to have one on a bike once.
The O/E alarm is very good. Only way to check is leave window open or sit in till it arms, but you "new" one may have interfered with it. Don't just cut the wires to it as they will be "everywhere" and usually bits of the loom are cut and routed through the alarm. Removing is tricky but not impossible .

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2015, 21:04   #7
ww1dm1

Alright, after some asking around I finally know what's the deal. It's an aftermarket autonomic alarm system. Apparently these things are quite common in some places, never felt the need for an aftermarket alarm myself. The keyhole thing is the siren, as suspected, and the only way to turn it off is to insert the nonexistent key ant turn it. It's actually designed to go off whenever the battery is disconnected, so turns out it's a feature. A glorious ****stain of a feature. So unless it's somehow possible to break the lock to make it unlock with a screwdriver, the only solution I have right now is to rip out the whole siren and smash it with a hammer.

Protip: if your Volvo has an aftermarket alarm installed and you find an odd tiny key lying around - fend it like your apricots.
The Following User Says Thank You to ww1dm1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
alarm, autonomous, battery, key, keyhole