Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

time to change the battery? Any advice where to buy?

Views : 748

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2016, 14:28   #1
Andries82

Default time to change the battery? Any advice where to buy?

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding the battery of my beloved Volvo.

My '05 S80 D5 doesn't start very smoothly anymore, it doesn't crank as powerfully as it used to do. Once it starts, I have driven the car and I have to restart, the restarting with a warm engine after a ride is always quite a bit more smooth; cranking feels more powerful.

That's why today I called up the "secret" diagnostic menu on the RTI screen and had a look at the voltages. The car had been standing for 2 weeks (last trip being a 330 mile trip with 1 stop during the trip), and before starting the car the readings were:

CEM voltage: 11.625 v (I think when I first turned the key the voltage started at 10.xxx v)
ECU voltage: 10.59 v

When I started the car where - as expected - the cranking sounded like the starter motor had to make quite an effort to turn the engine, the readings quickly stabilised on:

CEM voltage: 14,500v
ECU voltage: 13.31v

Q1: Would that indicate the battery (which has been in the car for years and years) is losing its edge?

Many say changing the battery is a breeze, just order one and fit it yourself. I like to believe this is true. The current battery (original Volvo 8645083) has the following specification: 12 volt, 800 A and 170 min.

Q2. And advice on what to replace it with? Would - in your humble opion - an original Volvo battery provide better quality than a Varta ordered online?

Q3. Some more expensive and "premium" batteries like Varta silver Batteries have 830 A cranking amps, 30 amps more that my current battery. Is that OK or could that overcook the starter motor?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Andries82; May 14th, 2016 at 14:36.
Andries82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 15:46   #2
dacvolvo
eVolvolution

Buy a Volvo original from the dealership. I bought one for my '07 D5 last month for £95

Takes 2 minutes to fit. Dispose of the old battery responsibly.
dacvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 16:34   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

The original Volvo batteries can be bought for under £100 from a Volvo dealer. Original quality spec and cheaper than a lot of aftermarket brands. There's really nothing to changing a battery. With the key out of the ignition, leave the car for 10 minutes before disconnecting the negative lead, followed by the positive. Insert new battery and connect the positive lead followed by the negative.

Some recommend having the key in position 2 when connecting the negative lead again. It's supposed to stop voltage spikes. This has been tested by many on the forums and it appears to be unnecessary. Reconnecting the negative lead without the key in the ignition doesn't seem to have any negative effects whatsoever.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 20:26   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Just a thought

In the name of good service or plain salesmanship a dealership might even include installation.

I love the hometown names of the contributors to this thread; London, Glasgow, Belfast and now Hackensack.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2016, 21:21   #5
CJL
Master Member

Agree, Volvo probably the best place, but I've also these people. Next day delivery too.

www.tayna.co.uk/Car-Batteries-C48.html

Just take care to keep the earth out of the way once you've disconnected it. You don't want it touching the terminal again. Undo the positive carefully and don't allow the spanner to touch anywhere else or you could get a shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I love the hometown names of the contributors to this thread; London, Glasgow, Belfast and now Hackensack.
I'm from Essex. Isn't there an Essex Road in Hackensack?
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 22:24   #6
luggsey
The truth is out there...

I just changed my battery for a 100Ah Exide from Tayna, very good service from them.
They gave me a 25% discount code, FACEBOOK25
Try it if you want to?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, s80, starting problem