Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beginner's questions about new V90

Views : 1198

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:29   #1
osbourne one-nil

Default Beginner's questions about new V90

I get my D4 Momentum Pro (MY18) V90 next week and I've got a few queries, the answers to which I think might be obvious to others.

The spec sheet says it has Volvo On Call - I assume if I want the features such as remote start or remote unlock/lock to work, I'd need to install a SIM card? I have a mobile plan which gives me 25GB of data a month, but because I'm not 15, I don't get anywhere near that limit each month so could use that for streaming etc in the car...but does the car's modem work better than using the phone as a hotspot? I'm just trying to gauge how much data I should get if I did go for a separate SIM.

Are you able to control the climate with voice commands on all specs? I've seen a few criticisms of the climate system as being a bit fiddly to alter while driving, but if you can do it with voice commands, I can't see the problem.

Do the voice controls work better than in my MY16 XC60? I had a V70 prior to this one and it was better in every respect. My current XC60 takes ages, often doesn't understand me at all and frequently, on calls, the volume is just too low even with everything turned up to max.

I know you can deal with the gears manually, like in my current XC60, but does it also have the effect of putting into "sport mode" to help at nasty junctions or overtaking, etc, or is that now dealt with by the drive mode thingy?

I'm sure I'll have more!

Thanks

Last edited by osbourne one-nil; Jun 16th, 2018 at 09:34.
osbourne one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:39   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

You do not require a sim card for VOC functions, you only need a data sim if you want to have wifi connection in your car for streaming music or using other apps etc, remote start door locking etc all work without a data sim. Your phone data will work just fine and I would just use that and see how you get along with it before buying a data sim, but having a sim card in the car can be a convenience but as you have so much data on your phone it would be a shame to waste it, some phone companies will provide a second sim card to use the data in your car, its worth asking your provider.
Voice control is much improved now and you can adjust climate via it and navigation as well as phone and texts,
You will find that the new engines are very quick and I dont think you will need to take it out of auto mode.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 16th, 2018 at 09:49.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:41   #3
osbourne one-nil

Oh! Do you know how it connects to...whatever it connects to to get the messages then?

Good news anyway.

Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:52   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

VoC works without a user SIM installed. My MY2017 has a 3G modem (all later cars are 4G) so for data I tether my (Android) phone to the car via Bluetooth. You can also tether via wifi hotspot but I use Bluetooth tethering because I can leave it switched on with minimal impact on the phone's battery. I often stream Spotify and never get close to my 25GB monthly allowance. If you don't use streaming services, data usage will be trivial. With an in-built 4G modem you may get a better signal in weak coverage areas but at the expense of a separate data plan. I'd suggest trying both methods ans see what works for you.

All specs get voice commands. It seems that later cars are better at responding to them. Whilst my car isn't great at interpreting some commands there are some that always work such as "I'm hot" and "I'm cold" which vary the temperature by 1 degree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:53   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
Oh! Do you know how it connects to...whatever it connects to to get the messages then?

Good news anyway.

Thanks
VOC has its own in built dedicated sim. It is only for VOC communication. There is a second sim card holder for wifi connectivity if required.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:56   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
There's a 'hidden' SIM in the car for basic VoC usage. It connects to Volvo's cloud and is not user accessible in any way, physically or otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:56   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

You may find this useful, scroll down to instruction videos.
You can change the car to V90 with the tab.
https://support.volvocars.com/au/car...=2019&sw=18w17

V90 selected.
https://support.volvocars.com/au/car...=2019&sw=18w17

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:02.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:30   #8
osbourne one-nil

Great - thanks all - that makes sense. I didn't know it would allow you to say things like "I'm hot" but makes sense and sounds good.

Looking at those videos - like always it'll probably all make perfect sense once I get the car.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:50   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I get my D4 Momentum Pro (MY18) V90 next week and I've got a few queries, the answers to which I think might be obvious to others.

The spec sheet says it has Volvo On Call - I assume if I want the features such as remote start or remote unlock/lock to work, I'd need to install a SIM card? I have a mobile plan which gives me 25GB of data a month, but because I'm not 15, I don't get anywhere near that limit each month so could use that for streaming etc in the car...but does the car's modem work better than using the phone as a hotspot? I'm just trying to gauge how much data I should get if I did go for a separate SIM.

Are you able to control the climate with voice commands on all specs? I've seen a few criticisms of the climate system as being a bit fiddly to alter while driving, but if you can do it with voice commands, I can't see the problem.

Do the voice controls work better than in my MY16 XC60? I had a V70 prior to this one and it was better in every respect. My current XC60 takes ages, often doesn't understand me at all and frequently, on calls, the volume is just too low even with everything turned up to max.

I know you can deal with the gears manually, like in my current XC60, but does it also have the effect of putting into "sport mode" to help at nasty junctions or overtaking, etc, or is that now dealt with by the drive mode thingy?

I'm sure I'll have more!

Thanks
On Call is far far more than using the app on the phone , make sure you read up on every aspect of it's safety and security functions . Volvo were the first manufacturer to pioneer this system way back about 20 years ago . I read that it is going to be law to have on all new cars at some point .
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:01   #10
Chief inspector
Master Member

The voice works better and does a lot more than the old XC60, yes, and 100% hit rate on the climate - 70% on media and Nav.