Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am i Doomed?

Views : 1539

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 23:44   #1
stevej69

Default Am i Doomed?

After having my MY18 XC90 T8 Inscription replaced after 7 months (and 7 courtesy/press cars from Volvo UK), my MY20 XC90 T8 R-Design finally arrived in July.

I'm around 5k miles in and i'm already experiencing issues. My mileage is nearly all motorway and not massively taxing. I have now had multiple instances of the car going into "Reduced Power Turtle Mode" whilst driving. The last time was at the weekend where the car lost a significant amount of power (akin to hitting a wall) whilst overtaking.

In all instances a restart clears the error, although i am hoping the ECU is logging codes.

The other issue occurs when the battery pack is exhausted and you are doing a tight right turn eg in a car park. There is a significant whine from the rear axel.

My local dealer cant have the vehicle until the 18th and given the challenge i've had since Jan, i'm sure they'll just perform a battery reset and tell me they can't find a problem (i even demonstrated the issues with my MY18 vehicle to their Master Tech and he couldn't "see" any issue).

I'm really frustrated, especially with an 80k car. Volvo UK were great, supplying me 7 courtesy vehicles (as i was only able to do 6k miles and i do 1k per week ish at peek). I was surprised that every one of the 7 vehicle i was loaned had some sort of issue. These were also all low mileage cars when they were delivered (500-1k miles).

I guess i'm just unlucky, but the faults are concerning. Any thoughts?
stevej69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 01:24   #2
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej69 View Post
After having my MY18 XC90 T8 Inscription replaced after 7 months (and 7 courtesy/press cars from Volvo UK), my MY20 XC90 T8 R-Design finally arrived in July.

I'm around 5k miles in and i'm already experiencing issues. My mileage is nearly all motorway and not massively taxing. I have now had multiple instances of the car going into "Reduced Power Turtle Mode" whilst driving. The last time was at the weekend where the car lost a significant amount of power (akin to hitting a wall) whilst overtaking.

In all instances a restart clears the error, although i am hoping the ECU is logging codes.

The other issue occurs when the battery pack is exhausted and you are doing a tight right turn eg in a car park. There is a significant whine from the rear axel.

My local dealer cant have the vehicle until the 18th and given the challenge i've had since Jan, i'm sure they'll just perform a battery reset and tell me they can't find a problem (i even demonstrated the issues with my MY18 vehicle to their Master Tech and he couldn't "see" any issue).

I'm really frustrated, especially with an 80k car. Volvo UK were great, supplying me 7 courtesy vehicles (as i was only able to do 6k miles and i do 1k per week ish at peek). I was surprised that every one of the 7 vehicle i was loaned had some sort of issue. These were also all low mileage cars when they were delivered (500-1k miles).

I guess i'm just unlucky, but the faults are concerning. Any thoughts?
If you are not happy, the long term answer is to buy another brand. It could be that it is also a matter of being in your best interest to cut and run, considering your intensive usage of the vehicle. You surely can't be happy with being inconvenienced so regularly.
Go for something with proven and reliable mechanicals next time, maybe no a plug-in hybrid with all the complications involved with such a design. A BMW X5 for instance. Or a Mercedes. Maybe something Korean or Japanese with a long bomb-proof warranty and reliability reputation. What about a Toyota Camry, which is almost guaranteed to not let you down and is available, I believe, as a simpler mild hybrid.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 09:10   #3
MaDProFF
Master Member

Does the safety systems think you are going to hit something, or you are approaching something very fast that you know you will not hit, but the car might think you will?

I have had this once when I was planning an overtake on a lorry, but left it quite late to move out, as I wanted to pass a driveway, it basically cut the engine just as I was about to move out, scared the living daylights out of me, good job I knew nothing was coming up the straight.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 11:38   #4
stevej69

To be honest i purchased a Volvo as a well respected brand, part of the reason was to have a customer facing vehicle due to the sector i work in. What i like about the XC90 is you can drive an 80k car without looking at it. Driving a Merc,BMW or RR all scream Bling which doesn't work.

The hybrid purchase was fuelled (no pun intended) by the tax benefits, so that would need to be a thing and Jap cars although reliable are awful (in my opinion).

Bottom line is an 80k car shouldn't have as many issues, i wouldn't accept it from a 30k VW so don't expect it from an 80K volvo.

Re the Safety system issue, it was definitely a "limp mode" experience as it presented "Service or Repair Required"
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 08:15   #5
stevej69

So it's been in since last Wednesday:

Engine Management Fault - Logging Overboost and underboost errors in the ECU, suspected Turbo Solenoid Valve which is being replaced.

Park Assist Unavailable Error in Traffic - Currently with Volvo Technical and parts on order.

Rear Axle Noise - Currently unable to re-produce.

I've got to go back in today to swap out my courtesy car (not sure if this means another long stint).

All in just over 6,000 miles
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 16:46   #6
m2srt

1000 miles per week! I really don't think that a T8 is the ideal drive train for that kind of motoring! Would you consider a diesel?

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m2srt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 21:23   #7
stevej69

Sadly the BIK on a Diesel is crippling (even more than the T8), regardless of this it's only done 6k which is a little scary
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 23:40   #8
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
1000 miles per week! I really don't think that a T8 is the ideal drive train for that kind of motoring! Would you consider a diesel?
I cannot understand your thoughts here, considering cars back in the 80's I had were easily doing 1k a week up, and selling with over 100k some with 200k why would not think any car especially a Volvo could not do that today? If that was the case I would be taking it back and never buy another Volvo again.

I am sure these cars are tested for over 100's k miles, or designed for it.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 08:22   #9
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I cannot understand your thoughts here, considering cars back in the 80's I had were easily doing 1k a week up, and selling with over 100k some with 200k why would not think any car especially a Volvo could not do that today? If that was the case I would be taking it back and never buy another Volvo again.

I am sure these cars are tested for over 100's k miles, or designed for it.
If he not coming at it from an efficiency angle rather than longevity?