Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I've been banned from my Volvo dealership!

Views : 36312

Replies : 222

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 14:48   #111
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Crikey, some issues in there then!

Two years ago, I was competing on LeJog rally in my 144 and blew the prop bearing as we headed into Scotland. Not a spare I carried so the RAC towed us in to Clellands in Galashiels I think.

Bear in mind that this 35 year old car is filthy, the two crew are unshaven and a little fraught. The staff were brilliant. Looked after us in any way they could, spent ages on the 'phone trying to find the part, John McC also got involved to see if the one on his Amazon would fit! In the end, we had to get one couriered up from the stores so we had to overnight nearby, they even sorted us with a hotel.

I was called the next morning at 9am to say the part had arrived and was on the car. We arrived to find they had even washed it for us! Total cost £120 which is a lot for the job to us DIYers but incredible value from the marble palace that is a main dealer.

Brilliant!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 14:53   #112
mollusk
VOC Member

I'd just like to put in my threpance in to a thread that I suspect will run and run.

One very common fault that all the recipients of lousy dealer "sevice" seem to have is that they seem to be of an age that predetory salesmen think means that they cannot contribute to that days commision. The other failing seems to be "inappropriate" dress (ie. they don't look like salesmen!). Very dangerous to impose such standard on those who pay your wages.

My wife and I have also received "interesting" attention of late, and no one can accuse me of being of tender years.(58). I will admit to being "a little eccentric" as those who know me on V3M will attest, and I also admit to a long white beard, a ponytail, tatoos, and not having worn socks for at least 25yrs.! What I am hovever is a Volvo owner through and through - having over the years owned and driven most models. (including a 340 since 1987 (same car)). We also have a 440GS and a 940 Turbo Est. ("Barge" in the latest Driver).

Earlier this year my wife decided that she would like a C70 (admittedly not brand new, but we were looking to spend 20k or so). We visited the dealer in Ipswich - big mistake. It was a wet afternoon, I was wearing shorts, and we were driving a Citroen Xsara (yes I admit to one of those as well) therefore we were obviously timewasters. After seemingly being unable to speak to my wife (who actually was buying for herself) the salesman grudgingly allowed a very short test run of three miles in a 2yr.old C70GLT but throughout the attitude seemed to be - well you can't afford it so don't waste my time! We excused ourselves and said we would let him know.
The following day we visited our next nearest dealer (M.R.King in Halesworth), were treated as would have expected to be treated and promptly purchased an 04 C70 "Collection" - Kings could not have been more gracious - and their service since purchase (6mths.) has so far been exemplery.

The difference between a "faceless" dealer chain and a small family run business !!!

A few days later I called the first dealer to inform him that we would nor be buying - response, "I really didn't expect you to". ("oh!, you really were serious" greeted my comment that I had already "done the deal" elsewhere.)

As an aside, "bad attitude" is not limited to Volvo dealers. During our annual trip to Guernsey this year we stopped over in Poole and visited a Mercedes dealer (we had been considering a new A class as a runabout) We were interested in a brochure (no chance) but could look at a spec. sheet there!
It was only when I was seen to fetch my glasses from the C70 that suddenly we became potential profit !! (interestingly the salesman tried the high pressure trick of "I'll get in trouble with my sales manager if you don't leave a deposit today - I've spent nearly 15mins with you). We left!

What to do, Enjoy the bad salesmen (they are the loosers) and use the dealers who do believe in their customers (there really are some).

As a final comment, a DP who lets fly at a customer because of dirty footprints (hello - it's a garage) simply does not deserve to keep any customers at all - it's an appalling attitude.

Mollusk (Mac)
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 17:19   #113
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

I went to the sales department of one dealer with the intention of buying a brand new S60 (the one I've got now, in fact) and signing on the dotted line that day. Bearing in mind I was trading in a very-low-mileage S60 the salesman was clearly uninterested in making a sale and when I asked him about trade-in he started muttering about change of registration letter and phases of the moon and Capricorn lining up with Mercury and any other number of reasons it would be difficult to give me a trade-in figure....so I walked out. A few days later called in at another dealer (different chain), salesman couldn't have been more attentive and he got the sale.

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 19:53   #114
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

I used to love going into dealers with my old cars (ok old is a bit of a misnomer) walking in as a 21 or 22 yo with a current plate car, and asking them to come and have a look at the car as there was a small niggling fault with it... after the intial ignoring of me as being a time waster, and me having to find the service department (it does make me appreciate the receptionist that some dealers use) myself, asking them to look at the car and they fill in the paper work for the job asking who's is the car, and the repsonse being a VCUK Lease Car.... watch things shift like the proverbial off a shovel.

I can remember after my brother starting to drive taking him to the local dealer (who was very good anyway, and does get recommended on here) to introduce him to the service guys. Those who didn't know us looked at us a bit oddly as we appeared with a sightly broken V70, 21yo and 25yo walking straight in and stopping to talk to the senior sales guys...

Images are what we look at first of all, as someone who's worked in retail I've learnt not to always judge people on 1st appearances; in addition having spent time at independent school very few people had the newest cars, most people were running stuff a couple of yrs old because they were careful with their money, and had no need for the image boost that some cars give you.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:14   #115
st5ve
S60 R

I did put an idea forward some time ago about having a shield or trophy for the best dealership and one for the worst, this could be presented every year to the apropriate dealers. However it does come down to how do you judge fairly. Also some dealers who are very good may not be represented that well due to location (i.e. not many VOC members registered in that area)
Top Gear run a poll every year maybe something could be adapted from that, but would anyone be willing to take the job on?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:10   #116
ahal
Master Member

Smile Dealer snobbery.

Hi Mac,

Great post, very well said. I think yourself and Graeme should make a point of going to the respective garages for any reason at all - perhaps to buy a replacement bulb - and park your purchases within good view of reception. It's the slap of a cold wet fish these gits deserve.

My friend has a 1992 Merc. 380 and he gets it really bad. Poster who made the point about wealth not equating to car was bang on. Our Ray has 3 houses and a pub, but just likes the older Mercs. His remarks re: Merc. dealers usually begin with "They're full of ..."

The funny thing is, in most of these places the biggest snobs, if the truth be known, probably have their 1987 Fiesta parked around the corner. Having worked in the trade I can concur with the view on secretaries: most of them laugh at the B***S*** they see, and know more about how the business works than the D.P.

Cheers,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:08   #117
Razor1
Razor1 S40 T4

I have spoken to my dealership here in South Africa about the post they just laughed when i told them that the DP chased the dude out...i am very happy with the service i get there..
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 14:00   #118
Naz
I haven't a clue - help!!

FWIW i've had a couple of experiences.

the main one was with Vauxhall when i wanted to buy my VX220. I'd done all the groundwork and spoken to people in the dealership that i would like the car that was on display (couldnt be bothered waiting for delivery as they were theonly ones with the colours that i wanted). Walked in with my brother, nice summers day, dressed in cargo pants, t-shirt and a baseball cap. went and stood next the the VX220 (all £30K of it) and it took more than 6 minutes to get some snotty nosed sales rep to shout across the floor "can i help you guys".
if i'm buying a new car, i expect to be sitting down with tea and biscuits no more than 3 minutes after walking into the showroom. it took this person to see my ID, the credit card i was buying the car on and mention of the principal's name before i even got a seat.
i obviously havent been back there since driving away with my car!
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 14:20   #119
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
FWIW i've had a couple of experiences.

the main one was with Vauxhall when i wanted to buy my VX220. I'd done all the groundwork and spoken to people in the dealership that i would like the car that was on display (couldnt be bothered waiting for delivery as they were theonly ones with the colours that i wanted). Walked in with my brother, nice summers day, dressed in cargo pants, t-shirt and a baseball cap. went and stood next the the VX220 (all £30K of it) and it took more than 6 minutes to get some snotty nosed sales rep to shout across the floor "can i help you guys".
if i'm buying a new car, i expect to be sitting down with tea and biscuits no more than 3 minutes after walking into the showroom. it took this person to see my ID, the credit card i was buying the car on and mention of the principal's name before i even got a seat.
i obviously havent been back there since driving away with my car!
I know that feeling well.i was actually removed from showroom...was so mad at these people went nextdoor and bought brand spanking new Toyota Carina E after afew returned to showroom to rub the salemans nose in it..and he wasnt to happy that the £16000 cash they could have took from me went elsewhere
S60-MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 14:24   #120
paulstorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Driver View Post
I know that feeling well.i was actually removed from showroom...was so mad at these people went nextdoor and bought brand spanking new Toyota Carina E after afew returned to showroom to rub the salemans nose in it..and he wasnt to happy that the £16000 cash they could have took from me went elsewhere
You were removed from the showroom?! Did they tie you to a small trolley and wheel you out, or did the mechanics pick you up and throw you through the automatic doors to the ground?

1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto
1997 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 100 16v
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E-24
paulstorer is offline   Reply With Quote