Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel engine stutter when cold

Views : 1407

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:30   #1
pan1100

Default Diesel engine stutter when cold

My D5 estate Nov 2002 36,000 miles has been serviced and now when pulling away first thing in morning there is no throttle response for a couple of seconds (very dangerous)and then its away as normal like a rocket,garage has rechecked diesel filter fitting and explains it sounds like a tiny air leak as they had to remove diesel heater as filter was very tight.The garage now propose at my expense to replace filter and heater as 1 unit because cannot buy seals separately.Unit costs £100
Does this seem reasonable or any ideas was OK before service.After initial start and stutter the car is fine for rest of day until left for a long period or overnight.
Can you buy seals for filter and heater from any source. Alan
pan1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 17:23   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan1100 View Post
My D5 estate Nov 2002 36,000 miles has been serviced and now when pulling away first thing in morning there is no throttle response for a couple of seconds (very dangerous)and then its away as normal like a rocket,garage has rechecked diesel filter fitting and explains it sounds like a tiny air leak as they had to remove diesel heater as filter was very tight.The garage now propose at my expense to replace filter and heater as 1 unit because cannot buy seals separately.Unit costs £100
Does this seem reasonable or any ideas was OK before service.After initial start and stutter the car is fine for rest of day until left for a long period or overnight.
Can you buy seals for filter and heater from any source. Alan
hi alan
are they charging you for labour, if so i would argue that point,was it a volvo garage that carried out the repairs?if not check with volvo first. hope that helps
mike
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 19:44   #3
pan1100

No they are not charging me labour but cannot gaurantee the new unit will remedy fault.Not a Volvo garage but private garage only ,been doing solely Volvos for 20 years.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 20:18   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan1100 View Post
No they are not charging me labour but cannot gaurantee the new unit will remedy fault.Not a Volvo garage but private garage only ,been doing solely Volvos for 20 years.
hi
was the filter changed on the service if so the its down to the garage to rectify the fault if the fault wasent there before. did they change the o ring on the filter and was it nipped when the fuel filter was replaced. imho i cant see why you have to take all the unit off just to get the fuel filter off. if its tight they should be useing the special tool to take it off, by taking the whole unit off has caused problems maybe this we dont no. have you spoken to volvo to see if you can get spares??
hope that helps
mike
850 tdi
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 14:37   #5
pan1100

Garage said they assumed filter was tightened with a filter wrench but is was last changed at Volvo dealer so unlikely.Seals not available on there own.Fault was not present prior to service and garage believes me.I think they have nicked the seal above the heater and not the filter one which is on the other side of heater.
This morning i let the car warm up for 2 to 3 minutes with little revs in between and the fault was not present which obviously shows fault is a pressure fault caused by air entering system overnight.
What special tool should i ask if garage used one.
Thank you for response i will keep you all informed.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:35   #6
tim2985

Default compression

These symptoms are always due to poor compression when cold not burning the mix until the head is warm enough to assist the fuel burn - have you been through a flood because if you have sucked water in then one of your conrods could be bent slightly (very common) causing a lack of compression on that cylinder - you need to do a COLD compression check to eliminate this first....
tim2985 is offline   Reply With Quote