Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Solex-Cisac carburettor overhaul

Views : 6208

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:46   #1
vlv240
Renault addict

Thumbs up Solex-Cisac carburettor overhaul

Hello everybody,

I intend to overhaul the carburettor fitted on my 240DL: a Solex-Cisac.

As this operation hasn't been done for more that 10 years it is a MUST!

The throttle remains stuck from time to time (it's not the cable's fault - I checked it) and it doesn't operate well at higher revs or when accelerating fast.

I have the following in my mind: to buy the following:

- internal fuel filter
- gasket kit (from Volvo);
- repair kit (also OEM)
- all thermistor components

and a few other "bits" and "pieces" and to dismantle it, clean everything, replace the parts mentioned above and to adjust it (with the help of a technician).

If there is anything else I need to know / buy in order to make the carburettor run again pretty well, don't hesitate to tell me.

Thank you!
vlv240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 20:42   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

From memory this is a two-stage carburettor, the second barrel coming into play at wide throttle openings, controlled by a vacuum valve. I don't think the valve is serviceable if the diaphram is holed. But I do remember that the spring-loaded mechanism was prone to sticking.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 06:12   #3
vlv240
Renault addict

Many thanks for the info Clifford Pope
Therefore, I suppose that it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the vacuum valve and to clean the spring-loaded mechanism.
Anything else that might be helpful?

& 1986 240 Dl Saloon LHD since '93
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:07   #4
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi..I have the same carb as yourself..and although it has never given me any trouble i"m in no doubt that it is tired and running a little rich..I would try to source a second hand carb and refurb that so you always have the original should you run into any problems with the refurbed one..ie tuning/running..you could try carb cleaner to free up sticking throttle..not a lot of us here have this carb anymore due to its mysterious nature and associated pipework that can confuse the most experienced engineer..but i for one would be very interested to see the solex dismantled for a refurb as in time i will have to do this..but at the moment..if it is not broken..well..need i say more..best of luck to you...cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:45   #5
vlv240
Renault addict

Thanks honestjoe for your advice
I will keep you informed about it.
If I would want to switch to another carburettor, that one would be the Pieburg?

Any other advice regarding the Solex-Cisac carburettor, repair & overhaul is greatly appreciated!

ie: other parts that should be renewed.

Last edited by vlv240; Feb 24th, 2011 at 09:15.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 11:45   #6
chesters6
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
Hi..I have the same carb as yourself..and although it has never given me any trouble i"m in no doubt that it is tired and running a little rich..I would try to source a second hand carb and refurb that so you always have the original should you run into any problems with the refurbed one..ie tuning/running..you could try carb cleaner to free up sticking throttle..not a lot of us here have this carb anymore due to its mysterious nature and associated pipework that can confuse the most experienced engineer..but i for one would be very interested to see the solex dismantled for a refurb as in time i will have to do this..but at the moment..if it is not broken..well..need i say more..best of luck to you...cheers hj.
i'm in the same predicament ,i darent try and overhaul mine because then living in a small village with no bus and no-one i can cadge a lift off if the project goes tits up i then cant get out for parts.One day another carb will come my way so that can be overhauled instead and swopped over.

it would be nice if a member could list alternative carbs and how to fit them instead of the solex.
ofcourse finding another carb is probably not just a case of bolting it in so the list would need to list everything needed for us handy but inexperienced errr fiddlers

Last edited by chesters6; Feb 24th, 2011 at 11:48.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 12:31   #7
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters6 View Post
it would be nice if a member could list alternative carbs and how to fit them instead of the solex.
ofcourse finding another carb is probably not just a case of bolting it in so the list would need to list everything needed for us handy but inexperienced errr fiddlers
Webcon sell a Weber conversion kit for the 240DL. It is listed as a Weber DRTM, which I have never heard of.
Steve Curtis has fitted a Weber DMTR to a 240, but I'm not sure what engine it was. This is the conversion kit used on 740s. Notice that one carb is DRTM and the other is DMTR; I've often wondered if this is a misprint though.
These are fixed-jet double barrel down-draught carbs.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/20...tor%20kits.pdf

I think they cost at least £250. Probably more now.

It is worth comparing the cost of overhauling your Solex to the cost of buying a brand new Weber.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 15:23   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Sounds like we need a loan carb scheme! Sadly at present I don't have one.

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 15:38   #9
vlv240
Renault addict

Thanks chesters6, OldBlueVolvo.
Both came up with great ideas.
I will go on Monday to check if the gasket set and repair kit is still available for the 240Dl with Solex-Cisac carb

You "read" my thoughts Mike_Brace.
That's exactly what I intended to do next: to ask for a scheme of all internals of the Solex-Cisac carb

Old Feb 24th, 2011, 15:47   #10
chesters6
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Webcon sell a Weber conversion kit for the 240DL. It is listed as a Weber DRTM, which I have never heard of.
Steve Curtis has fitted a Weber DMTR to a 240, but I'm not sure what engine it was. This is the conversion kit used on 740s. Notice that one carb is DRTM and the other is DMTR; I've often wondered if this is a misprint though.
These are fixed-jet double barrel down-draught carbs.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/20...tor%20kits.pdf

I think they cost at least £250. Probably more now.

It is worth comparing the cost of overhauling your Solex to the cost of buying a brand new Weber.
i doubt my car is worth £250 unfortunately
but webers are plentiful at boot fairs what else do you need and where do the coloured pipes that run into the solex go when its not a solex?
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carburettor, overhauling, solex-cisac