Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 d5 cold starting problem

Views : 639

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2023, 21:12   #1
Peter2ltr

Default 2002 d5 cold starting problem

Hello
Iv got a 2002 v70 d5 with around 170k and iv owned it for quite a few years.
Once the colder weather crept in at the end of last year I noticed on cold start
it sits and hunts for a 30 seconds or so until it heats up a little sometimes the hunting is quite erratic almost cut out then bounce back the 1100rpm
I initially thought ah not a problem new glow plugs required but they made no difference also tested and there getting voltage.
Anyone had anything similar? Or any ideas?
Peter2ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 21:34   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I would suspect you will have one or more injectors playing up. Monitoring some of the live data on start up would give you a better indication of what’s going on. How does the car run once warmed up? Any faults or warnings?

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Jan 7th, 2023 at 21:40.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 01:06   #3
5cilinder
Premier Member

A leakback test on the injectors and checking engine balance /injector corrections in vida will give some clarity.
It will pinpoint possible bad injectors or bad compression

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 8th, 2023 at 01:20.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 09:14   #4
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I would suspect you will have one or more injectors playing up. Monitoring some of the live data on start up would give you a better indication of what’s going on. How does the car run once warmed up? Any faults or warnings?
It seems to run fine no faults or warnings messages
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 09:33   #5
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
A leakback test on the injectors and checking engine balance /injector corrections in vida will give some clarity.
It will pinpoint possible bad injectors or bad compression
After reading up a little I have been thinking along the injector route
And leak back test was the next thing I was going to try see if that produces anything.
Unfortunately I don’t have Vida but may have to invest
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 15:00   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Would do no harm to change the fuel and air filter too...especially the fuel filter, if you have no record of it being replaced, as any moisture in there may have congealed during the cold snap.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 18:10   #7
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2ltr View Post
After reading up a little I have been thinking along the injector route
And leak back test was the next thing I was going to try see if that produces anything.
Unfortunately I don’t have Vida but may have to invest
Try a leakbacktest first if there are 1 or more injector leaking more than 40 ml /minute you can then replace those injectors....

As a sidenote ...is your coolant sensor reading out the right temperature? if that is off your injection timing will be off and also the pre glowing times..do a resistance measurement on the sensor itself and compare it with a ntc table
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 18:19   #8
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Would do no harm to change the fuel and air filter too...especially the fuel filter, if you have no record of it being replaced, as any moisture in there may have congealed during the cold snap.
Iv another genuine fuel filter on order for it. It had all the filters replacement a year ago. And only done 7k maybe
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 18:59   #9
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Try a leakbacktest first if there are 1 or more injector leaking more than 40 ml /minute you can then replace those injectors....

As a sidenote ...is your coolant sensor reading out the right temperature? if that is off your injection timing will be off and also the pre glowing times..do a resistance measurement on the sensor itself and compare it with a ntc table
Leak off test is the plan this week along with a fuel filter.

The temperature gauge seems to read correct enough but probably means nothing. Do you know Where is the sensor is there more than one? Interesting you mentioned this because I have wondered what controls the cold start procedure.
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 20:26   #10
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2ltr View Post
Leak off test is the plan this week along with a fuel filter.

The temperature gauge seems to read correct enough but probably means nothing. Do you know Where is the sensor is there more than one? Interesting you mentioned this because I have wondered what controls the cold start procedure.
Only one sensor...on top of the thermostat housing left on top engine behind the serpentinebelt
Sensor dial is dampened and below 40 celsius not readable, take a cold engine ( a day not used) take the temperature with a different meter and then resistance measure the sensor. Lookup in the ntc table the resistance with the corresponding temperature and if thats off with the measured temperature with the different meter by more than a few degrees celsius ..replace the sensor