Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ELM327 adaptor - Car won't start!

Views : 489

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2019, 11:13   #1
robertfleckney

Default ELM327 adaptor - Car won't start!

A fortnight ago I purchased my first V70. A 2006 D5, which i'm chuffed with.

So far it is running lovely, and i'm slowly working out what 'might' need doing (engine mounts look to be shagged for example).

Anyhow, I purchased an ELM327 adaptor from ebay in the hope of doing some basic diagnostics but when I plugged it in, the car would not start. In fact, it wouldn't turn over, but a message of 'anti-skid service required' popped up on the dash. After removing the dongle, the car started fine. I tried plugging it in again and the same message appeared.

Anyone heard of these adaptors causing issues? Could anyone recommend a decent obd2 adaptor which would be more reliable.

Thanks in advance.
robertfleckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:26   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Default Vida/dice

If you can juggle the spanners and intend keeping the car the best option is VIDA+DICE. Its the "cloned" Volvo software/hardware. Takes a bit to get used to, and is better run on a dedicated laptop ( but not necessary)

Check out Cheshire5 here :https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=164

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:48   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I have an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 interface... Never any issues on my Honda Accord, but always causes the ABS warning light to come on when used on our MR2 Roadster. If I leave it plugged in to the Volvo, start up and drive off then sometimes it brings up several dash warning lights.
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:20   #4
petey
Master Member

Even VIDA will cause the ABS light to come on, depending upon what it's looking at, presumably because the overhead of interrogating various systems potentially interferes with the processing requirement of looking at wheel speeds.

VIDA is the only real sensible solution. Simon (ChesireD5) does sterling deals on used laptops. Everything else just isn't VIDA.....
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:52   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I've had no issues with my ELM327 in 5 years.
It's one of the cheapest (under a fiver) blue plastic mini Bluetooth dongles.
I can even use the ELM327 on my motorbike for data and fault codes.

Like everything cheap though (and usually Chinese), quality is hugely variable so getting something that's tested and known working is always preferable.

I use the ELM327 for quick live data beamed to my phone and love its simplicity and surprising usefulness but the fact that it can only communicate with engine and auto transmission modules is a huge limitation so as suggested, there's nothing like Dice and Vida for a Volvo.
Dice and Vida pays for itself then you recoup a lot of your outlay again when selling it on once you're done with it.
Old May 15th, 2019, 14:36   #6
robertfleckney

Thanks for the really helpful replies folks, much appreciated.

Wasn't aware that the Volvo software could be purchased. is it a standalone code reader, or is it software that requires a computer to run?
Old May 15th, 2019, 15:33   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfleckney View Post
Thanks for the really helpful replies folks, much appreciated.

Wasn't aware that the Volvo software could be purchased. is it a standalone code reader, or is it software that requires a computer to run?
It can't but there are a lot of doctored counterfeit copies going around ...
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:20   #8
robertfleckney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I've had no issues with my ELM327 in 5 years.
It's one of the cheapest (under a fiver) blue plastic mini Bluetooth dongles.
I can even use the ELM327 on my motorbike for data and fault codes.

Like everything cheap though (and usually Chinese), quality is hugely variable so getting something that's tested and known working is always preferable.

I use the ELM327 for quick live data beamed to my phone and love its simplicity and surprising usefulness but the fact that it can only communicate with engine and auto transmission modules is a huge limitation so as suggested, there's nothing like Dice and Vida for a Volvo.
Dice and Vida pays for itself then you recoup a lot of your outlay again when selling it on once you're done with it.
Attempted to send you this as a PM Si, but haven't made 30 posts yet.

First I wanted to say that I have appreciated all the great videos you have posted on youtube, they're incredibly helpful as I get to know my new V70.

Secondly, I wondered if you could give me a little more info on the diagnostics you sell. Do you they work standalone, or will they need a laptop to run them? When using a laptop, are there any particular operating systems it won't work on? I have an old windows laptop but am unsure what operating system it runs. I have only ever used it with VAGCOM diagnostics on my old passat estate.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to robertfleckney For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:28   #9
robertfleckney

Thanks for the PM Simon, unfortunately, still can't reply by PM.

I'll be in touch soon about purchase, cracking prices as well.

Regards,

Rob
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:49   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfleckney View Post
Thanks for the PM Simon, unfortunately, still can't reply by PM.
No problem.
You can use the email address I gave in the pm or just let me know when you're ready on the main sales thread here.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: