Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual to Automatic

Views : 684

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 11:56   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobm View Post
Are you barking, or do you just enjoy the challenge?
When you live on an island with no Volvo 740s available your could be driven to being called barking!

I have been looking for a 740 automatic turbo estate in silver . I'll travel to get one and pay the right money. Just can't find one[/QUOTE]

There was a 760 Turbo (basically a 740 Turbo with extra toys) for sale for restoration for a long time. Can't remember if it was silver or white but now sold and being restored.

Not being funny though, is being that specific not a little ambitious if there are no 740s round your neck of the woods? I appreciate you're willing to travel for the right car but there is always the chance that what appears to be a great car is in fact a right old dog when you get to pick it up.

There was one recently on here, black or dark grey in the west Midlands, 740 Turbo estate, allegedly immaculate and driving perfectly for about £2k.

A forum member decided to buy it, arranged with his wife to drive him from Dorset to the car, paid the deposit for the car and when he got there it was obviously not as described.

For a start, it wouldn't - start that is. When it eventually did (think it needed more petrol and then a prolonged jump start) it barely ran on 3 cylinders, very strange noises from the engine, clutch/transmission problems, air/vacuum leaks on the engine with various pipes disconnected, plugged and some just open - if i can remember/find the thread i'll post a link to it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 15:00   #12
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Not being funny though, is being that specific not a little ambitious if there are no 740s round your neck of the woods?
I agree with Dave - 740 Turbos are rare now and automatic narrows down the chances even further. What's wrong with a 940? There's plenty of these auto's out there in condition/mileage to suit all pockets.
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 15:04   #13
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
There was a 760 Turbo (basically a 740 Turbo with extra toys) for sale for restoration for a long time. Can't remember if it was silver or white but now sold and being restored.
Like 740 Turbo, 760 Turbo is now very rare but at least the 760's are nearly always autos. There was also this one only a few days ago....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-V...frcectupt=true
Old May 21st, 2019, 15:15   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
What's wrong with a 940? There's plenty of these auto's out there in condition/mileage to suit all pockets.
I thought of suggesting the same Kev but then i thought about how i feel about the 9xx compared to the 7xx range. Not really willing to expand on that in case i upset a lot of 940 owners but if our friend in the Emerald Isle thinks in a similar way, he's probably equally reluctant to consider a 940 turbo.

Nothing against later Volvos per se - my other automotive passion is Rover 800s and i wouldn't have a post-96 model if you paid me.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 21st, 2019, 15:18   #15
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
There was one recently on here, black or dark grey in the west Midlands, 740 Turbo estate, allegedly immaculate and driving perfectly for about £2k.

A forum member decided to buy it, arranged with his wife to drive him from Dorset to the car, paid the deposit for the car and when he got there it was obviously not as described.

For a start, it wouldn't - start that is. When it eventually did (think it needed more petrol and then a prolonged jump start) it barely ran on 3 cylinders, very strange noises from the engine, clutch/transmission problems, air/vacuum leaks on the engine with various pipes disconnected, plugged and some just open - if i can remember/find the thread i'll post a link to it.
Here you go Dave......

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290245
Old May 21st, 2019, 15:36   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
That's the one Kev, thanks! Reading it back i appear to have a few things not quite right but fairly close - in fairness it was several months back now and i've been asleep since!

That said, i still had the basics right.

Old May 21st, 2019, 22:50   #17
volvobm

but if our friend in the Emerald Isle thinks in a similar way, he's probably equally reluctant to consider a 940 turbo.

That's correct I like 740s
volvobm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvobm For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 23:10   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobm View Post
but if our friend in the Emerald Isle thinks in a similar way, he's probably equally reluctant to consider a 940 turbo.

That's correct I like 740s
Thought you might!