Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 2009 (V70) oil leak

Views : 666

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 16:58   #1
V70d5peter

Default D5 2009 (V70) oil leak

I've got a wet oil patch on the side of the engine low down (Looking in from the Grill) looks messy but the funny thing is no oil stains on the drive and no noticeable oil loss on the dipstick. I'm going to get some degreaser to try and determine how bad it is. Anyone any idea where it's coming from?
V70d5peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 23:38   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

My Dad's V70 had similar symptoms. There was no loss of oil on the dipstick, but the side of the engine was covered in oil. It turned out to the the crankshaft oil seal, which is now fixed & there's no sign of oil leaking!
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 00:16   #3
V70d5peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
My Dad's V70 had similar symptoms. There was no loss of oil on the dipstick, but the side of the engine was covered in oil. It turned out to the the crankshaft oil seal, which is now fixed & there's no sign of oil leaking!
I wonder how expensive that fix would be ? Thanks for the reply though.
V70d5peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 06:28   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Are you sure it is not a spill from changing the oil filter (on the front of the engine) or seepage from the PCV valve (also on the front of the engine)?

The D5 has an under-engine cover plate to reduce noise. This catches and holds any leaking fluids.

So take of the under engine cover plate and clean it (I did mine in the shower)
And clean and degrease the front of the engine

Then you will have a much better idea of where the oil is coming from.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:03   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70d5peter View Post
I wonder how expensive that fix would be ? Thanks for the reply though.
The seal itself is about £20-£30, but there's a fair bit of labour involved. I think its a £250 fix or in the region of.

As Swiss XC90 said above, it could be oil leaking from the oil filter or spillage when changing it. Sometimes oil can weep past the rubber o-ring if its failed or maybe installed incorrectly and oil may spray outside the filter housing when the engine is running. This can look like its a bad leak when its just a cheap fix.

As suggested, take the under tray off, give it a good clean and have a proper look around. The leak could be coming from any of multiple components, so its not always easy to distinguish.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 24th, 2019 at 12:07.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: