Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 2008 D5 2.4 Tf80sc transmission issues

Views : 1065

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 09:12   #1
Arash79

Default Volvo 2008 D5 2.4 Tf80sc transmission issues

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and just thought I'd ask you guys about some problems I'm having with my Volvo xc90 after a transmission fluid change.

I used the fill drain method and drained and filled the transmission oil 3 times. I replace the level plug and screw with a new one and also replaced the O ring and washer.

I used VIDA DICE to check the fluid temperature and when it reached 50 degrees I then removed the torx screw with the engine running to set the right fluid level by letting it drain.

The only thing I did wrong was to turn the engine off during setting the fluid level as I thought it may pump all the fluid out.

I then replaced the screw and took the car for a drive.

The car was driving fine but now the transmission sometimes fails to engage gears between gears and the revs reach about 4k rpm then the gear engages with a hard cluck.

I used Castrol transmax multi vehicle for the oil which is rated for Asin Warner 3309 transmissions.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers
Arash79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 09:31   #2
Arash79

I forgot to mention that I didn't do the adaption reset not sure if this may be causing the issues.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 15:21   #3
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

By switching the engine off during setting the level do you mean that you switched off before the oil had stopped coming out?
When I did this it did feel like the box was going to dump all its oil but did finally stop; only then did I switch the engine off. It may be you have overfilled which is giving problems so if this is the case then I am afraid you still need to drain some oil to get the level correct and I would also reset the adaption so the box software knows it needs to re-calibrate.

I am not sure about the oil spec - hopefully someone else can confirm that it is Ok for your box.
Once you have got this sorted only then can further diagnosis be done - the fact you are getting a 'bang' with the gear change suggests hopefully is a hydraulic issue by having too much oil but if yours is high mileage and first time oil changed then worst case is some of your clutch bands have worn and with new oil are slipping.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 05:49   #4
Arash79

It's only got 153000 km on the transmission. I read that after an oil change you should put the transmission into adaption mode. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 09:05   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I don't think that the oil change has anything to do with your symptoms HOWEVER I would say that it is absolutely imperative that you recheck your oil level correctly with the engine running and the transmission oil nicely up to temp. Incorrect level will not allow the box to function correctly

With regards to adaptation what I have done on a couple of my cars so far is to clear the current adaptation using Vida and then simply allowing the car to relearn itself. Even if you didn't have Vida the car should still be ok once you sort the level out.

I have had no issues at all by doing this in fact quite the opposite.

That said, anyone else doing this does so at their own risk

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 02:55   #6
Arash79

Thanks Guys,

I think i have worked out what I have done wrong. During the last oil change I didn't move the gear shifter from Park to Neutral to Drive and hold it in each gear of 10 seconds.

What has happened is the fluid has not moved into each of the gears and when I set the level and then drove the car fluid has then found it way in, hence dropping the fluid level of the car.

The TF80SC transmissions are very sensitive to oil levels and that is what is causing the transmission to flare/slip between gears.

The solution will be to drain and refill the fluid again, ensure I move through the gears and then set the level once the transmissions hits 50C.

This should ensure the fluid level is set right.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 11:19   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

If you measure the amount you drain out and replace it with the same quantity you will be very close to the correct level (assuming it was correct in the first place!)
Old May 17th, 2019, 08:01   #8
mroscar1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash79 View Post
Thanks Guys,

I think i have worked out what I have done wrong. During the last oil change I didn't move the gear shifter from Park to Neutral to Drive and hold it in each gear of 10 seconds.

What has happened is the fluid has not moved into each of the gears and when I set the level and then drove the car fluid has then found it way in, hence dropping the fluid level of the car.

The TF80SC transmissions are very sensitive to oil levels and that is what is causing the transmission to flare/slip between gears.

The solution will be to drain and refill the fluid again, ensure I move through the gears and then set the level once the transmissions hits 50C.

This should ensure the fluid level is set right.
Did You manage to set level and does it cured the problem?
mroscar1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 18:51   #9
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Arash79, the OP, has not been on line since February so I guess we can assume all is OK with him now.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote