Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V is for vibration

Views : 8815

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2019, 17:18   #21
Giles1234

It's going in on Tuesday (different garage to the first lot) so hopefully I'll have some answers for you later next week.
Giles1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 06:45   #22
bigx86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles1234 View Post
It's going in on Tuesday (different garage to the first lot) so hopefully I'll have some answers for you later next week.
Yes, please do and good luck!
bigx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 22:26   #23
Giles1234

Update for you interested in this one. Car went in on Tuesday for 1st service and to check out the vibration complaint. Garage couldn’t replicate it due to M25 road surface being poor, congested and the speed limit is 70. It only starts to become noticeable at 70 on a good road surface. You need to be doing 85 > 95 to turn your coffee into a cappuccino! Garage recommended holding onto the car to have an expert vehicle technician (who comes once a week) look at it today. Car is test driven again and it is agreed something is off. Expert tech informs Volvo UK and the garage calls saying they need to keep the car for more tests.
Giles1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giles1234 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:29   #24
bigx86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles1234 View Post
Update for you interested in this one. Car went in on Tuesday for 1st service and to check out the vibration complaint. Garage couldn’t replicate it due to M25 road surface being poor, congested and the speed limit is 70. It only starts to become noticeable at 70 on a good road surface. You need to be doing 85 > 95 to turn your coffee into a cappuccino! Garage recommended holding onto the car to have an expert vehicle technician (who comes once a week) look at it today. Car is test driven again and it is agreed something is off. Expert tech informs Volvo UK and the garage calls saying they need to keep the car for more tests.
Thanks for the update! Please keep us informed. I have the same issues with my S90, my local retailer have had the chance to fix it several times but the vibrations are still there….
bigx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 23:41   #25
Peacocksean

I look forward to your update as I have the same issue with my S90 that the dealer can't fix. They put it down to the tyres I had fitted (Continental premium contact 6) and got me to fit Volvo spec tyres. It has got better but hasn't eradicated the issue.
Old May 5th, 2019, 00:00   #26
Giles1234

Not much of an update. The car was in for 4 days, during which time I think the garage got their head around the vibration symptoms I have been experiencing. They want the car for 4 more days to diagnose and repair the cause. It’s booked in for the work to be done in 2 weeks time.
Old May 5th, 2019, 20:33   #27
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

I'm following this with interest. Yesterday and today I did the longest runs since buying the car c.200 miles each way. My route was from outside of Edinburgh to Clitheroe via the A703, M74 and M6. As soon I hit the M74 the vibration became very pronounced. I was sitting at about 80 mph and could feel it through the wheel, seat and floor. It reduced slightly at about 90 but as I had a roofrack on with skis the noise didn't make that an option.

By the time we reached the hotel I felt fatigued. My feet were tingling and it felt a relief to stop. I am used to long distance and when we lived in Dorset we'd travel to/from their to Edinburgh without issue. I also did the Dordoyne to Edinburgh in a single day in my A6 Allroad and felt fine at the end of the journey. There is not a snowballs chance in hell I'd contemplate that in my V90.

The return trip today was slightly more bearable. The vibration was still there but didn't seem as pronounced. This make me think the issue is mechanical rather than simply tyres.
Bash D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:18   #28
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash D Bishop View Post
I'm following this with interest. Yesterday and today I did the longest runs since buying the car c.200 miles each way. My route was from outside of Edinburgh to Clitheroe via the A703, M74 and M6. As soon I hit the M74 the vibration became very pronounced. I was sitting at about 80 mph and could feel it through the wheel, seat and floor. It reduced slightly at about 90 but as I had a roofrack on with skis the noise didn't make that an option.

By the time we reached the hotel I felt fatigued. My feet were tingling and it felt a relief to stop. I am used to long distance and when we lived in Dorset we'd travel to/from their to Edinburgh without issue. I also did the Dordoyne to Edinburgh in a single day in my A6 Allroad and felt fine at the end of the journey. There is not a snowballs chance in hell I'd contemplate that in my V90.

The return trip today was slightly more bearable. The vibration was still there but didn't seem as pronounced. This make me think the issue is mechanical rather than simply tyres.
Guess you know this with living up that way but the M74 is a very heavily policed motorway.... I always put the cruise on at an indicated 75mph and just let the 90 or so miles slip by in a bit over an hour. It is unusual for me to drive the whole length without seeing at least one traffic car and often a camera van too....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 15:24   #29
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Guess you know this with living up that way but the M74 is a very heavily policed motorway.... I always put the cruise on at an indicated 75mph and just let the 90 or so miles slip by in a bit over an hour. It is unusual for me to drive the whole length without seeing at least one traffic car and often a camera van too....
The M74 in Dumfries & Galloway and M6 through Cumbria are Scamera Van hell. I cross referenced the Adaptive Cruise Control set at 80 with the GPS on my phone and it showed 76 mph. In England the threshold for prosecution is Speed Limit + 10% + 2 mph, therefore on a motorway they won't pursue you if you are doing 78 mph or less. Police Scotland won't say what their threshold is but it is likely to be similar.

Unusually, I never saw a Scamervan on either journey but when heading north yesterday I saw an unmarked BMW sitting on sliproad on the southbound carriageway with a copper pointing a laser at traffic going south.
Bash D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 13:09   #30
mr rusty

Just tripped over this on swedespeed FYI

I wanted to share something with the folks researching this issue that I hope you will find useful. I had such bad vibration issues with a brand new 2018 S90 that the dealer let me turn it back in within 30 days of taking possession and put me into a brand new 2019 S90. I was grateful that they made that process trouble free. Which is why I when I experienced vibration in the 2019 that I just kept it to myself. It wasn’t nearly as bad as the 2018, but it was noticeable as certain speeds. But, I just couldn’t go through that again and I just chose to live with it. Shortly after taking possession, I put brand new snow tires on the factory rims and the vibration, while still there, was the least it had been which made the driving experience less distracting. I recently had the factory issued tires mounted back onto the factory rims and the vibration was awful at all speeds. I had the tire tech re-balance the tires to no avail.

Coincidentally, I have a client that owns several tire shops and I talked to him about the problem. He asked if Volvo and the other tire shop that swapped out the snow tires “force balanced” the tires and I told him that they did. He advised me that he got rid of his force balance machines because of not trusting that they did a good job and replaced them with laser balancing machines. He told me to drop the car off and he’d re-balance the tires and that he was “certain” the problem would be fixed. I wasn’t as confident as he was, but I dropped the car off to let him do his thing.

I watched while the tires were dismounted, re-balanced using his Hunter Hammerhead laser machine and remounted in about 30 minutes. I shook his hand, thanked him for his time and was on my way still not convinced anything would change. Was I ever wrong. This car now rides like I’m sure the engineers intended. I have never experienced the ride it is now giving. It is as smooth as glass. I can’t believe it.

When Googling the vibration issue, all of the message boards talk about how their original issues tires and the numerous replacement tires have been force balanced, but their problems continued. It makes me wonder that the problem is not with the car, but with using force balancing machines. That conclusion seems to be supported by why my client got rid of his force balance equipment and went with laser.

I hope this helps anyone having a similar problem.