Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust on 1998 V70 Tdi

Views : 1517

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2019, 22:30   #11
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I'd agree. It's difficult to tell to much from the pictures and my main purpose in including them was to identify the location of the problem area. It's so much clearer than trying to describe it. A cursory poke around when I took the photos suggests that it may not need welding so I think my next move is as you say: clean up and assess.

I'd welcome any further suggestions as to good products to use for treating rust and bad ones best avoided. Things must have changed since I last had a go at treating any rusty bodywork many years ago.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:48   #12
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post

I'd welcome any further suggestions as to good products to use for treating rust and bad ones best avoided.

Martin
Bilt Hamber or Dinitrol as mentioned above, they are the main ones, you don't need to waste your time looking at others. I prefer Bilt Hamber of the two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2019, 14:17   #13
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I'm thinking either Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 or Deox Gel and Electrox. If I'm going to do it I may as well do as good a job as possible.

Martin
Old May 6th, 2019, 14:20   #14
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm thinking either Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 or Deox Gel and Electrox. If I'm going to do it I may as well do as good a job as possible.

Martin
I have only used the original but would probably go bilt gambler now due to experience with their products.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 19:17   #15
Alpine

Quote:

Martin
Hydrate 80 is what I use, to "cure" the rust. If its an enclosed section, such as an inner wing or cill I then use their Dynax S50 to give a protective film.

But on such an exposed part of your car you might be better using Hydrate 80 and then paint over with Black Hammerite paint. That is what I have done. Dynax S50 tends to get washed off under the car as it is so exposed.
Old May 6th, 2019, 19:23   #16
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Hydrate 80 is what I use, to "cure" the rust. If its an enclosed section, such as an inner wing or cill I then use their Dynax S50 to give a protective film.

But on such an exposed part of your car you might be better using Hydrate 80 and then paint over with Black Hammerite paint. That is what I have done. Dynax S50 tends to get washed off under the car as it is so exposed.
Don’t use Hammerite, it’s a shadow of what it used to be.

Another big fan of Bilt Hamber here. Hydrate 80 and Dynax S50 internally; either Electrox or black epoxy primer brushed over the treated rust (assuming no perforation or serious thinning requiring welding, then Dynax S50 on top of the epoxy primer or Electrox. Bilt Hamber do a good epoxy primer.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2019, 20:09   #17
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Smile

I do have some unopened tins of Hammerite I bought in 1985...
Old May 6th, 2019, 22:01   #18
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Don’t use Hammerite, it’s a shadow of what it used to be.
I agree Hammerite is not that great, but at least when the rust starts to show through again in 12 months time it is easy to see and you can scrape and retreat so its good for another 12 months. I have found in the past that if you apply a sticky /messy product sometimes the rust can start to come through again below it, without you being aware it is doing so. You'd want to use the Hydrate 80 first though.

Last edited by Alpine; May 6th, 2019 at 22:05.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 21:44   #19
Martin Cox
VOC Member

So, the Hydrate 80 having arrived and the sun shining nicely, I decided to make a start on the rust. Happily it was little more than surface rust with a little pitting here and there and the underlying steel is sound enough.

Dremel in hand, I ground out as much of the rust as possible, degreased with some isopropyl alcohol and then gave it a good wash followed by a blow dry with the leaf blower followed by an old hairdryer. Two coats of Hydrate 80 as per instructions and that will do for today.

I'll put a couple of coats of Electrox on tomorrow and then think about a top coat later in the week.

I'll look into some Dynax S50 for inside the section.

I bought a box of accessories for the Dremel from Lidl the other day; £12.99 for a ridiculous number of items. Admittedly there was quite a lot of sandpaper in it but that's what I needed. Unfortunately the first couple of little sanding drums didn't last long at all. Then it occured to me to read the instructions. The drums last a hell of a lot longer if you run them at the correct speed! The kit seems good value.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2019, 21:42   #20
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Could we have some after pictures if possible.

Craig

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote