Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Decision time

Views : 638

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2019, 22:18   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Decision time

Since retirement last year my mileage-although not high even before that-dropped to less than 5,000mls per year.So did I really need 2 cars? Obviously not,so then what to do?The Omega[owned for over 8yrs]carries the burden of sentimentality[it was the last car I and my late partner went anywhere in together]while the V70 is the always scruffy but ever faithful mongrel with the sad eyes.Much debate/argument with myself and the decision was made...….I'd buy a 3rd car Next question then is what?A trawl of E-bay,Gumtree and the like for inspiration followed and there it was! Screaming out of the computer screen at me "BUY ME"!!!!! So I have todat travelled down to Surrey to do just that.Others may have seen it advertised also it's a 1995[M] 960 3L auto saloon.19 stamps+P.D.I. in the service book all belts/tensioners and water pump changed last October,it tipped over 122,000mls on the drive home.It never missed a beat on the journey stuck in traffic on M25 near Heathrow or cruising with the best of the moderns on the M1,supreme comfort and near silent,beautiful Built in booster seat in rear armrest,privacy blind for rear window etc. For those interested I'll try and get some pictures up at some point.Faults? Yes[it is 24yrs old after all]the door cards are wrinkled-I believe a common problem on these?-the front bumper paint shows battle scars and for some reason a recurring problem with the horn sounding for no apparent reason??but that's it as far as I've been able to tell and in fairness the seller had spoken to me about these issues before I agreed to set off to look at/buy it.All in all well chuffed especially at what I think is the bargain price of £695
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 18:17   #2
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Whatever you do, keep the Omega. There's no replacement for personal attachment. Other than that, this 960 sounds nice!
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 19:29   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes the Omega is staying for a while longer at least[strange as I never thought myself a sentimentalist when it came to cars]the thing most likely to kill it[as with any car I own]would be rust issues as I can't weld and even if I could I've nowhere that I could put a car to weld it,and welding is expensive even at back street garage rates.The Omega has just over 135,000mls on it,the V70 is also in that mileage bracket and as said the 960 tipped over 122,000mls on my way home from Surrey-a journey it completed on less than £40 of fuel[at Southern fuel prices which are higher than round here]
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 22:48   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Well done you.

All that for less than a grand and only done 122,000 miles. My 1992 940 has done 218,000 miles.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2019, 19:54   #5
biggbn
I've Been Banned

960/v/s/90 still itches I must scratch. I had a six pot 760gle and loved it, 960 is a stealth hot rod
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:08   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes,I think I've already surprised a few people.What they see is a big old barge of a Volvo driven by an old git,but give it a bit of the loud pedal and it'll lift its skirts and run for the horizon at a goodly rate of knots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:23   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

Oh,and I bought it from a honest trader too! When I saw the e-bay listing[and then checked M.o.T. history] I knew it was the car for me.So I phoned to ask if I hit buy it now how he'd want payment to be made as that wasn't shown on the listing and his first words to me were "I won't sell any car to anyone who hasn't actually seen it and satisfied themselves as to condition" He then went on to re-iterate that there were "issues" with it i.e. the wrinkled door cards and strange problem with horn[although so far I've not experienced this] this made me even more determined to buy it,he even picked me up from his local train station when I went to see/buy it!On this experience so far i'd have no hesitation buying another car from him should I want another vehicle.He did have another Volvo[either an S60 or S80 I didn't pay enough attention to notice which]for sale in a gold colour.
Old May 17th, 2019, 14:04   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

pictures of the latest purchase

SDC10244.jpg

SDC10245.jpg

SDC10246.jpg

SDC10247.jpg

SDC10248.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 19:07   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Yep. I’ve an S90 3litre auto, 204bhp and takes off like the devil if you ask it to!

It really does surprise people because I don’t think anyone expects a big old barge to have that sort of get up and go.

It’s surprisingly good on less than straight roads too, thanks to the multi-link rear suspension.

The one downside is the mpg........
Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote