Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashcam installation instrustions XC60 MY19

Views : 1650

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2019, 13:59   #1
rogc

Default Dashcam installation instrustions XC60 MY19

As the title says.
Firstly i decided to connect the hard wired kit to the back of the accessory socket in the centre consul. Starting under the dash get your fingers underneath and pull. There are a number of push clips that will disengage, giving excellent access.
Under glove box. Remove the 2 screws allowing the cover to be removed. This also has push fit clips.
Sill cap. Using a trim tool start about 20mm back towards the A pillar from the join. Lever up and the back clip will come loose, lift from this end and the trip will come out.
Trim adjacent to dash, once the sill trim has been removed just pull this towards the B pillar, this will give sufficient room to put the cable in position.
Run the cable inside the rubber seal, until you reach the airbag trim. At this point you can continue pushing under the rubber or remove the capping.
Continue to work cable behind headlining to required position.
Reassemble job done.

I have positioned the camera approx 100mm fron the mirror housing. Appears not to affect the system operation.

As for the power connection. I made up a short harness, with a soldered tap connection. Spade connections either end to tie into the harness, with bullet connectors on the supply to the dash cam wiring.

20190512_120202.jpg

20190512_120209.jpg09

Last edited by rogc; May 12th, 2019 at 15:16.
rogc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogc For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 00:17   #2
J30 YAP

I just connected mine in the fuse box Near passenger foot well under the carpet. Bought a piggy back micro2 fuse holder and connected it to the door lights fuse. All done, no soldering, no cutting and separate fuses for the dashcam and door lights.

Last edited by J30 YAP; May 17th, 2019 at 00:19.
J30 YAP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J30 YAP For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:08   #3
Steve XC60
Structural member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30 YAP View Post
I just connected mine in the fuse box Near passenger foot well under the carpet. Bought a piggy back micro2 fuse holder and connected it to the door lights fuse. All done, no soldering, no cutting and separate fuses for the dashcam and door lights.
Thanks for this. Any chance of some pictures?
Old May 17th, 2019, 12:13   #4
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve XC60 View Post
Thanks for this. Any chance of some pictures?
As they say it ‘a picture (or maybe many in this case) speaks more than words do’.
Old May 18th, 2019, 18:12   #5
BillyJay

Or you could buy a Rearmaster OBD lead from Amazon for about £11 and plug it into the OBD socket down by your right foot. You don't need to remove any trim and it has a switch so that it either stays permanently powered or goes off with the ignition.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:35   #6
lawndom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJay View Post
Or you could buy a Rearmaster OBD lead from Amazon for about £11 and plug it into the OBD socket down by your right foot. You don't need to remove any trim and it has a switch so that it either stays permanently powered or goes off with the ignition.
I did exactly this. Works fine with my Xiaomi 70mai positioned passenger side next to the sensors on the windscreen.

I did find though, that when I had it switched to permanent power, it drained my battery too much and my stop/start would only work occasionally. I don't do many miles though tbh and the car is mostly sat on the drive. Since switching to come on with the ignition it's been fine.

Cables are quite long, but can be run round the headlining and A pillar fine.
lawndom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 19:47   #7
rogc

My cam is to the passenger side of the mirror. Everything appears to work as normal, therefore suspect that there is little foundation for the scare stories about the camera interfering with the safety systems.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 20:47   #8
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
As they say it ‘a picture (or maybe many in this case) speaks more than words do’.
I don't know about the XC60 but the fuse box in the passenger footwell in the V60 is virtually inaccessible. I wired my dashcam to the auxiliary socket in the centre console. You will find more info here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747 including pictures
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 21:01   #9
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I don't know about the XC60 but the fuse box in the passenger footwell in the V60 is virtually inaccessible. I wired my dashcam to the auxiliary socket in the centre console. You will find more info here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747 including pictures
Likewise on the XC60, it’s no longer user accessible easily as you have to remove a section of the carpet to reach the fuse box.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 21:02   #10
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogc View Post
My cam is to the passenger side of the mirror. Everything appears to work as normal, therefore suspect that there is little foundation for the scare stories about the camera interfering with the safety systems.
Mine is in the same position and was installed there by my local Volvo dealer as well ........ so that alone answers your question!