Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 49930

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 12:57   #171
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad it's sorted Tom and good luck with the MoT!

PS ask him for a print out of the emissions if he doesn't give you one when you pick it up - some useful clues on it for the cold running and general engine health.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 13:20   #172
TomSaintJames

Thanks dave, will do! Will the meths in the tank interfere with the emissions? Perhaps I should have told him, but it was quite clear he didn't want me hanging around. Also hope the bulb failure light isn't a fail.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 15:30   #173
TomSaintJames

Success! We have an MOT, with no advisories either.

The only thing the chap said (who was noticably less grumpy after he'd looked at it and done the MOT) was to look at some of the front brake lines as they may need doing in the next year or so, but not bad enough for an advisory (or whatever they are now).

Exhaust gasses are:
CO - 0.437 (max 3.5)
HC - 60 (max 1200)
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 19:57   #174
Dippydog
Premier Member

Congratulations on the pass Looking forward to see how the camper conversion progresses when you get that underway.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 20:18   #175
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Success! We have an MOT, with no advisories either.

The only thing the chap said (who was noticably less grumpy after he'd looked at it and done the MOT) was to look at some of the front brake lines as they may need doing in the next year or so, but not bad enough for an advisory (or whatever they are now).

Exhaust gasses are:
CO - 0.437 (max 3.5)
HC - 60 (max 1200)
Yay!!! Congratulations Tom! It lives!

Good call adding the emissions readings, the engine is in good condition and the breathers aren't blocked - that's the good news!

The (very slightly) bad news is it's running lean which explains the hesitancy/stalling when cold. It will still be on the gutless and thirsty side when hot as well, not that it's going to be a ball of fire even if you get it tweaked/tweak it richer yourself.

It should be set to 1% CO @ 900rpm (hot) and for checking, should be anywhere between 0.5 - 2.0% CO.

You could always let it warm up a minute or two before driving/engaging gears and leave it as it is or find a friendly local garage to set the CO to 1% @ 900rpm when hot.
Tweaking it yourself is possible but without a CO meter you could overdo it as it will only need a very slight touch on the mixture screw.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 13:44   #176
TomSaintJames

Now that the hearse is MOT'd we've been driving it about for the last week or so and enjoying it, however my patience is wearing very thin with the badly adjusted coil-overs, so the old thing is in the garage for new suspension all around, and for investigation of the whining bearing noise.

Can't wait to get it back, so we can enjoy it being more comfy and quiet!

After this not insubstantial spend, the exhaust needs aligning more properly, and some form of radio/CD player and speakers are required. The OH has ideas of a big touch screen job.

The space for the radio looks to be DIN 1.5 (if that's a thing) or somewhere else in between DIN and double DIN, what have others done for their ICE? Any ideas folks?
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 21:52   #177
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Now that the hearse is MOT'd we've been driving it about for the last week or so and enjoying it, however my patience is wearing very thin with the badly adjusted coil-overs, so the old thing is in the garage for new suspension all around, and for investigation of the whining bearing noise.

Can't wait to get it back, so we can enjoy it being more comfy and quiet!

After this not insubstantial spend, the exhaust needs aligning more properly, and some form of radio/CD player and speakers are required. The OH has ideas of a big touch screen job.

The space for the radio looks to be DIN 1.5 (if that's a thing) or somewhere else in between DIN and double DIN, what have others done for their ICE? Any ideas folks?
You might find the whining noise disappears once it rides at the correct height Tom. SAme goes for the exhaust.

As for the radio, anything is possible but for an easy life, i'd suggest something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...yBP:rk:16:pf:0

Comes with the fascia adaptor, leads to bypass the original amplifier and so on so is plug'n'play. You could probably get a single DIN touchscreen with a motorised screen that slides out then up, chances are the same seller could sort something out.

In my previous 640s i've bought the fascia adaptor plate and used various stereos including a Sony head unit and 10 disc changer, in my 760 i've got a Rover head unit and 6 disc changer. Other people have found their solutions as well, see if someone else suggests something you like.

Old Nov 15th, 2018, 09:51   #178
TomSaintJames

Thanks Dave, OH saw a double DIN, quite new and quite slick touchscreen cd/blutooth maybe even DVD palyer (we don't need a DVD player in the hearse!) head unit that had android connectivity for your smart phone and wanted one, it did look smart and would be good for our french adventures in the hearse, but they seem quite expensive and tricky to install.

I've been looking around online and see that some have used a 780 radio trim piece, cut the middle out and hey presto! You have a double DIN space, it does mean relocating the cigarette lighter socket, removing and relocating the overdrive relay and moving the whole fuseboard back a little - i'm thinking this is quite a lot of effort! Even if the trim piece can be found, which is unlikely these days I think. The thread I saw was here.
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 11:19   #179
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave, OH saw a double DIN, quite new and quite slick touchscreen cd/blutooth maybe even DVD palyer (we don't need a DVD player in the hearse!) head unit that had android connectivity for your smart phone and wanted one, it did look smart and would be good for our french adventures in the hearse, but they seem quite expensive and tricky to install.

I've been looking around online and see that some have used a 780 radio trim piece, cut the middle out and hey presto! You have a double DIN space, it does mean relocating the cigarette lighter socket, removing and relocating the overdrive relay and moving the whole fuseboard back a little - i'm thinking this is quite a lot of effort! Even if the trim piece can be found, which is unlikely these days I think. The thread I saw was here.
That 780 panel looks suspiciously similar to the 760 panel. One being broken for spares here :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-760...g/263964810756

Whether the panel will fit into the 740 panel is another matter!

I'd go for the 740 fascia panel adaptor and single DIN touchscreen if you really want a touchscreen.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+unit&_sacat=0

A few to choose from there.

The other thing to remember is while the double-DIN looks bright and shiny and new, it's relatively recent technology for cars. Of course, touchscreens have been around since the late 80s but mainly for industrial computer panels for machines. However, your hearse is well and truly planted in the mid-late 80s so i think a touchscreen would look out of place.

I don't know if you've settled on a theme for the hearse but the obvious one and easiest to achieve would be a mildly gothic theme. A double-DIN touchscreen would look out of place in that IMHO but even if you went for an ultra-modern rainbow theme, looking inside the car would still look wrong with a double-DIN i think.

The beauty of a single-DIN with motorised screen is when it's in use, it still gives you a double-DIN size screen but when it's off, looks like a standard single DIN unit, some even have the "stealth" look with just a black panel to be seen when they're off.

In terms of wiring, there's not much difference between a single and double, both sizes have speakers and an aerial and need one memory line and one ignition/accessories switched power line, some have a lighting input (leave that disconnected or take that from the headlight output of the light switch) and if there are other extras such as a GPS aerial, camera inputs etc then again, that will be both units.

The big difference and where the work comes in is fitting a double-DIN physically.

Bottom line is it's your car and money so your choice but hopefully some food for thought there!

PS - as a total aside, your previous chariot has reappeared with a respray - looking good!

Old Nov 19th, 2018, 21:37   #180
TomSaintJames

Good evening all, the hearse is still in the garage and we're having difficulties getting the correct suspension parts.

Right now, according to the mechanic I need to find a pair of good used front suspension 'struts', the parts that the shock absorbers sit inside. Do I need to look for a particular year/model, or will any old 740/940 do? I'm hoping to source these this evening so would really appreciate the advice.

The PO has chopped most of these struts off and welded the coilovers to where they've been cut. This is mixed news, i'm unlikely to need new springs (as the used struts hopefully come with usable springs) so a saving to be had there, but I will need new top mounts as the coilovers use different ones.

I'm currently looking through the 1,694 page parts catalogue to see about years/part numbers etc!
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post: