Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you get the alarm to beep/chirp when locking to confirm?

Views : 3696

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2020, 20:58   #1
Yelper85

Default Can you get the alarm to beep/chirp when locking to confirm?

Hi all,

New to the forum and VOC in general so firstly hello.

I've not yet get a Volvo and I'm now waiting the long 6-months to be able to access the Affinity Scheme, however I'm doing lots of research on the models, options, packs etc.

One question I have is around the available settings for an audible confirmation when you lock the car. Can you get the alarm to beep/chirp when locking to confirm?

I have enabled this on my two current VW cars and it's a godsend as you know straight away that the car hasn't locked either because you didn't press the button properly/hard enough or one (or more) of the doors or boot is open.

Do Volvo's offer such a convenient setting or something similar?

I chose the XC40 form to post this question as that's the car I'm thinking of starting out with, but I do wonder if the setting will also be dependent on whether I choose keyless entry, assuming the option for keyed or keyless still exists with the new upcoming models? (a colleague at work who owns a 2019 plate XC40 said keyless is mandatory with a certain pack?)

Thanks in advance

Mitch
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 22:37   #2
jamei305

The hazard lights will flash to confirm, and you can set the approach lighting too. If you’ve left a door open, no lights.

It makes sense because you’ll get deaf drivers but not blind ones.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:33   #3
Yelper85

Good morning. Cheers for the reply.

What exactly to you mean by approach lighting?

Also, when you say no lights, is that no hazards and approach lighting, or just no approach lighting?

I can see how it covers both bases, i.e. deaf and blind, however the ease of walking away and hearing a loud blip/beep/chirp makes it much more convenient as you don't need to look at the vehicle. To me it makes it feel more secure as well, not that it does!
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 18:58   #4
jamei305

This is what the manual says

Lock confirmation
The car indicates with hazard warning flashers when the car is locked or unlocked.

Exterior indication

Locking
• The car's hazard warning flashers indicate locking by flashing and retracting the door mirrors.

Unlocking
• The car's hazard warning flashers indicate unlocking by two flashes and extending the door mirrors.

All doors, the tailgate and the bonnet must be closed for the car to indicate that it is locked. If locking takes place with just the driver door closed, locking will take place but the lock indication with hazard warning flashers will only take place when all doors, the tailgate and the bonnet have been closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamei305 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 19:01   #5
jamei305

Approach and home safe lighting are functions that put some lights on when you lock and unlock the car so you don’t fall down your doorsteps. These won’t be activated unless you have successfully locked/unlocked the car, although they aren’t a formal locking indication like the hazards are.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamei305 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 19:13   #6
deepsix

In Canada many cars 'toot' their horn when locked. A most irritating feature that seems so pointless and must annoy neighbours no end.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.

Last edited by deepsix; Feb 5th, 2020 at 19:14. Reason: spelling
deepsix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:54   #7
Yelper85

Cheers for clarifying on the locking combinations, much appreciated.

So approach and home safe lighting are the equivalent of VW coming home/leaving home functionality. I think VW is the same, they don't work unless it's locked, although I have mine setup such that the headlights stay on until the drivers door is opened, then they start timing and restart the timed if/when locked.

Personally I like the 'toot'. Mine is not too loud and is a high pitch chirp, it's not a second long og horn going off. This is the same for the Golf and the Tiguan.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:55   #8
Yelper85

What about the actual locking options on the XC40? Can you only get keyless entry now or is it an option? Is it mandatory with certain packs or trims? I heard it was mandatory on the Pro models?
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:17   #9
V60derbyshire

Hello Mitch,

Welcome to the forum.

Volvo will soon release the MY2021 specs so everything could change regarding features included. But all Volvo models have some level of keyless, either keyless drive (this is standard) or the additional keyless entry and drive.

I think the selection of the pro models includes keyless entry and drive. if you also opt for a convenience pack then that also includes a keyless entry.

I think you can also drive the XC40 with your iPhone and the VOC app. I bet there is some cleaver person on here who can tell you how to make your car bleep on locking although it might not be official.
V60derbyshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 21:46   #10
Yelper85

It will certainly be interesting to see how the 2021 lineup changes things, especially with the recharge coming along.

Do you know if the standard options differ for the XC60 and XC90?

My friend at work has an XC40 and I know he's used his iPhone and VOC to gain access and drive. I think he was also able to allow his wife access straight from his phone, but the other drivers phone needs to be setup first.

If anybody knows a secret way to make it bleep, please let me know!

Tags
alarm, audible, beep, chirp, lock