Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice Required

Views : 835

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2018, 11:48   #1
Ceejay 1974

Default Advice Required

Hi all,

Just joined forum, hoping for some much needed advice, should I take the plunge and purchase my first Volvo.

I've really taken a shine to a Volvo C30 D5 SE that's come up for sale. It looks great with low mileage and I've just turned 50 and probably having a mid life crisis (3dr + nice power) !!

Problem is car has this message on it - SRS Airbag Service Urgent.

I've trawled through several websites, their forums etc etc to look for answers....some ranging from people who have ViDA / Dice (yep, been looking hard, never knew such things existed !) to Volvo main dealers requiring an absolute fortune for sorting it.

Do I not touch car with bargepole or take the plunge and go for it as it's an easy fix....loose connector etc ????

Anyone live reasonably close to me, so that If I do purchase and someone has this Dice thingy is able to help me out for a few large beers !!!

I live near Swansea, S.W.Wales.

Cheers in advance
Ceejay 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 12:08   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejay 1974 View Post
Hi all,

Just joined forum, hoping for some much needed advice, should I take the plunge and purchase my first Volvo.

I've really taken a shine to a Volvo C30 D5 SE that's come up for sale. It looks great with low mileage and I've just turned 50 and probably having a mid life crisis (3dr + nice power) !!

Problem is car has this message on it - SRS Airbag Service Urgent.

I've trawled through several websites, their forums etc etc to look for answers....some ranging from people who have ViDA / Dice (yep, been looking hard, never knew such things existed !) to Volvo main dealers requiring an absolute fortune for sorting it.

Do I not touch car with bargepole or take the plunge and go for it as it's an easy fix....loose connector etc ????

Anyone live reasonably close to me, so that If I do purchase and someone has this Dice thingy is able to help me out for a few large beers !!!

I live near Swansea, S.W.Wales.

Cheers in advance
simple really . get them to fix it before you take delivery or get £500 off the price … It won't be a simple fix and will need to go to the dealer to read codes and go from there . It is a MOT failure .
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 13:20   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
simple really . get them to fix it before you take delivery or get £500 off the price … It won't be a simple fix and will need to go to the dealer to read codes and go from there . It is a MOT failure .
I second that advice,

If I were to be selling a car and that lights were on I would take it to a dealer and pay £40 for diagnostics. If it were an easy fix the seller would have done it, it’s probably not and that’s probably why he’s selling hn it.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 14:05   #4
Peter86
Pete

I had the radio out on my 2003 V70 I use to have and went and locked the car while I went in the house for a while and this threw up a fault can't remember if it was abs or srs message but one of the two. Had to take it to a local garage to get it off as my cheap handheld one wouldn't do it.
It could be simple as something like that with the complex computer systems they use.
I would take the side of caution as mentioned above just incase there is a more major fault.
An old laguna i had, had a similar problem also and that was due to a loose wire connection under the drivers seat, that would trigger it if the seat was moved.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 15:39   #5
Ceejay 1974

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. I've just this very second come off the phone to the seller and he confirms that the car has been to Volvo main dealers who've said that the module needs replacing at a cost of £596 fitted...

Such a shame.

58 plate 37k £3950 !!!

Can't justify spending another £600 on top.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 15:51   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejay 1974 View Post
58 plate 37k £3950 !!!

Can't justify spending another £600 on top.
I doubt anyone else will either so make the guy an offer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 16:48   #7
Ceejay 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I doubt anyone else will either so make the guy an offer.
He said something along the lines of - "I would have put the car up for sale at around £4750 but because this issue has just cropped up I've lowered the asking price considerably"
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 16:51   #8
Ceejay 1974

Here it is -

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...Trim=D5&page=1
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 22:41   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Leave it a week and then see if he will take an offer. It's 9 years old with faults, no way is anyone going to take a punt at the price he is asking. For that price I would want a 6 months warrantee and the fault fixed. He may well of reduced the asking price but would he of sold it at the asking? Not to me he wouldn't.

Mate baught a range rover for 3 grand which the seller thought was worth 10. The 90 logged faults put any buyer off and at 10 grand it would of sat on his drive forever.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 14:13   #10
AndyJudge
Premier Member

If it's got an Airbag fault then it's an MOT fail so the car's pretty worthless. I'd go back & make an offer based on him covering maybe 2/3rds of the cost to repair it.

Then maybe a little bit of discount from the main dealer to fix the fault will sweeten the bill for you a bit further
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post: