Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uneasy at these events.

Views : 3351

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2018, 14:28   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Uneasy at these events.

It may have escaped members attention that some 80+ drivers are to be fined and have points added to their licences for driving off the M11, after the road was closed and traffic halted following an accident, but driving the wrong way to do so.
Evidence for this offence being provided by dash cam footage from cars and drivers which were there at the time.

Is it just me or is anyone else uneasy at this situation.

I'd ask how soon it will be before such evidence be accepted for other motoring offences ie speeding, I can see a situation arising where, as dash cams become more common, we as drivers are going to be encourage to "Spy" on our fellow drivers and "shop" them when we think they are guilty of wrong doing all in the name of civic duty..

BTW I am not one of the 80+ drivers who are to be fined... just in case you were wondering..

Thank goodness my driving days are nearer ending than just starting....

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 14:48   #2
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Not uneasy at all, it's about time and might serve to make idiots think twice in future.

Plenty of people have already been prosocuted for varing offences captured on dashcam so it isn't anything new.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 14:53   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

No unease from me. I assume that most of my driving is caught on overhead cameras etc so a dash cam or a police / council camera, it makes no difference to me. Don't do anything stupid is the answer.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 15:16   #4
TonyB65

In an increasing era of authoritarianism I absolutely share your concern. I am currently reading Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago" (The abridged version), a book so powerful that it helped to bring the collapse of the Soviet Union. If ever there was a more powerful warning in history I'd like to see it. People are so flippant with comments like "As long as I'm doing what I should who cares?", and "serves them right!".
Whilst I can understand those sentiments, the underlying message is "You will have nowhere to hide". Imagine a situation where we have driverless cars, guided by GPS, with 360 deg cameras, and now imagine the state having access to that. This is not even a Sci-Fi scenario, this is a reality in the very near future. We give up our freedoms so easily, but once they're gone that's it, it's a lot harder to get them back, ask the Russians. As a side note, The Gulag Archipelago is mandatory reading in Russian schools now, as it should be in ours judging by the little bolsheviks we're churning out these days.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 15:18   #5
phutyle

Say I saw someone being mugged on the pavement as I drive past. I get home and I see that I have it captured on my dashcam. I hand the footage over to the police, who had no other evidence to go on, and they identify the suspect and secure a conviction.

Would that make you feel uneasy?
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 15:25   #6
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
Say I saw someone being mugged on the pavement as I drive past. I get home and I see that I have it captured on my dashcam. I hand the footage over to the police, who had no other evidence to go on, and they identify the suspect and secure a conviction.

Would that make you feel uneasy?
They wouldn't be interested, too busy on patrol on Twitter.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 16:29   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB65 View Post
They wouldn't be interested, too busy on patrol on Twitter.
To be fair to them if someone reports abuse from Twitter or wherever they are duty bound to deal with it. I feel for them there, they are being bogged down with name calling investigations, 99.999% being from cowardly keyboard warriors. It must drive them nuts.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 16:30   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
It may have escaped members attention that some 80+ drivers are to be fined and have points added to their licences for driving off the M11, after the road was closed and traffic halted following an accident, but driving the wrong way to do so.
Evidence for this offence being provided by dash cam footage from cars and drivers which were there at the time.

Is it just me or is anyone else uneasy at this situation.

I'd ask how soon it will be before such evidence be accepted for other motoring offences ie speeding, I can see a situation arising where, as dash cams become more common, we as drivers are going to be encourage to "Spy" on our fellow drivers and "shop" them when we think they are guilty of wrong doing all in the name of civic duty..

BTW I am not one of the 80+ drivers who are to be fined... just in case you were wondering..

Thank goodness my driving days are nearer ending than just starting....

Cheers
Bob
You can already send your dashcam images in to Bristol police on their web site ...
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 16:40   #9
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
To be fair to them if someone reports abuse from Twitter or wherever they are duty bound to deal with it. I feel for them there, they are being bogged down with name calling investigations, 99.999% being from cowardly keyboard warriors. It must drive them nuts.
That was a trap they laid for themselves with the ludicrous "hate speech" law, which is totally Orwellian and takes me back to my original point.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 17:10   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB65 View Post
That was a trap they laid for themselves with the ludicrous "hate speech" law, which is totally Orwellian and takes me back to my original point.
Was that not politicians rather than the police? The police enforce the law, politicians set it. Perhaps the police asked for it in which case more fool them for not seeing the consequences.