Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE : Changing the front gear linkage bushes

Views : 15882

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:48   #1
JSeaman

Default GUIDE : Changing the front gear linkage bushes

If you are finding your gearbox has become very sloppy and that you have trouble getting into first, second or fifth gear then you might be in need of a gearbox bushing refresh. This guide will take you through which parts to get and how to fit them, it will tighten up the gear shift and hopefully regain that 'as new' feel. Note this guide is for boxes with reverse up and to the left.

Step 1 - We'll start at the front of the linkage (next to the gearbox). You need to buy two plastic bushes and two O rings. The part numbers are :

Bushing 30871722 (£1.15 each)
O-ring 30872329 (0.25 each)

This will set you back £3.29 including VAT

Picture 1 shows the back of the bush and an o ring
Picture 2 shows the front of the bush where the o ring sits
Picture 3 shows the o rings fitted to the bushes (they jus tpush in with your fingers)
Picture 4 is the two bushes ready to fit

JSeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:49   #2
JSeaman

Step 2 - I just wanted to show how much play there was in the gearstick, this is in first gear

Step 3 - Slide a jack under the car at a suibtable point i.e. on a structural part of the car as shown

Step 4 - Jack the car up nice and high, give yourself plenty of room to work or the job is twice as difficult

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:50   #3
JSeaman

Step 5 - Once the car is jacked up, fit an axle stand underneath in case the jack fails. Again, fit it on a suibtable point such as the member running down the car as shown. Note I always release the jack until the weight sits on the axle stand and then pump the jack once more so the weight is split between the two

Step 6 - Once the car is safely supported, climb under and trace the gearbox linkage (shown in picture 1) to the joint we are interested in (picture 2)

Step 7 - Hook an 11mm ring spanner over the top of the assembly and hold it in place. Note you can pull the linkage down to make it easier to fit the spanner on

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:50   #4
JSeaman

Step 8 - Use a socket (or spanner) to remove the 11mm nut from the bottom whilst holding the spanner

Step 9 - Push the bolt up and remove it from the top of the bushing

Step 10 - You can now move the linkage from the gear stick backwards and away from the problematic bush

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:51   #5
JSeaman

Step 11 - Remove the old bushing. You have the old version of the two bushes and two o rings that you bought to remove and also a metal tube that goes between them. Simply pull either bush off then the rest will slide out

Step 12 - You can see the old bush was a bit oily and dirty. This picture shows the metal bar that joins the two bushes

Step 13 - Here I've tried to show how much play there was in the bush. The metal rod could wiggle up and down in the bushing a small amount which is multiplied a lot by the time it hits the gearstick

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:52   #6
JSeaman

Step 14 - Now give the metal rod a quick wipe and grab your two new bushes to fit (picture 1). Check everything fits together properly as shown in picture 2.

Step 15 - Sorry for the blurry image but you should see I've fitted the top bush and metal rod in place

Step 16 - Now squeeze the second bush into place, it shouldn't require much of a squeeze if everything is lined up

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:53   #7
JSeaman

Step 17 - Grab the gear linkage arm and slide it back over the bush (it will be a slightly tight fit)

Step 18 - Try to align the holes with those in the bush as close as you can (don't get too carried away though!). You can see that my car is due a bit of a clean here

Step 19 - Use the bolt from the underside as shown in the picture to make sure you get everything in alignment. Whilst pushing the screw up from beneath you can manoeuvre the gear linkage around until it all slides into place

Step 20 - Once aligned, drop the bolt in from the top and tighten the 11mm nut on. This is done in the same way as early using the 11mm spanner on the top also

The Following User Says Thank You to JSeaman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:53   #8
JSeaman

Step 21 - This is to show how much play was left after the front bush was replaced

Hopefully you can see the amount of freeplay was reduced significantly at this stage. I could now get into first and second gear without having to lift the reverse collar so was thoroughly pleased. For me, there is still an unacceptable amount of play in the gearstick so I will do he rear bushes too in another guide (when Volvo finally get the parts!)

Note that the kits you can buy on ebay for about £20 have the metal tube in them which is not required. The shoudln't under normal operation, the plastic ends are there to take the brunt of the movement so it is cheaper to just buy the bushes from Volvo directly.