Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geely again

Views : 3227

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 17:12   #21
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
800dly Hell my friend that post has depressed me so much I am going to double up my valium intake today. Joking apart. I had a Jaguar STR for 3 years in a gap between Volvo's. Jaguar now owned by TaTa so it was Ta Ta to my Jaguar. Now Volvo has gone to China. I have no intention of getting a new one so it looks like my T5 will be with me till I kick the bucket.
Volvo Truck and Marine are still owned by Renoult.
If you really want to get depressed see what the Chinese have done to the MG. I fear that Land Rover manufacturing will be moving to India. I understand some of the tools have gone allready.
Would just like to point out that Volvo AB (trucks, earth moving machinery etc, and Volvo Penta) are not only the second largest truck manufacturers in the world, but are also Swedish owned, and THEY own the Renault truck division, not vice versa.

Further to that end, they are rolling in money, and why they didn't take the opportunity to buy back the car division for a bargain price is beyond belief.

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Apr 28th, 2010 at 18:29. Reason: typo
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 17:22   #22
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
It's not a welding technique that I've ever seen or used before. Those are the sort of frantic movements I sometimes make when I get the wire stuck to the piece (MIG welding).

I think what happened is that the workers were having a break and then noticed a television camera and so they panicked.

If you want to compare Volvo's old production methods to Geely's then there is about 20mins of youtube videos showing 240 bodies being assembled. I'm sad enough to have watched them through! Basically, 20mins of spot-welding! You will notice that the Volvo workers did use hammers, but not for straightening out a whole bonnet.
240 Production Video 1
240 Production Video 2

Going off on a tangent...
One for the 240 geeks: In the video, what is the purpose of the vertical metal piece in the centre of the windscreen?
The vertical strut is to support the windscreen surround until the roof panel is added.

As for Geely - I can only say to those china mad fanatics who tried to shoot me down in flames some months ago - I told you so!

Cheers,

T
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 17:38   #23
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
The vertical strut is to support the windscreen surround until the roof panel is added.
I thought it might be some sort of temporary support/brace that was removed during production, but it also made me wonder if there was a split-screen version produced (which I've never seen) in the final year. But, it's very hard to imagine that Volvo would modify the body for a few limited edition cars. When I have the headliner out of the 740 I'll have a look to see if I can find evidence of the support. Presumably the 740 had this support too. I am such a geek/nerd/whatever!
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:18   #24
Magnum357
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
Would just like to point out that Volvo AB (trucks, earth moving machinery etc, and Volvo Penta) are not only the second largest truck manufacturers in the world, but are also Swedish owned, and THEY own the Renault truck division, not vice versa.

Further to that end, they are rolling in money, and why they didn't take the opportunity to buy back the car division for a bargain price is beyond belief.

Cheers,

T

Thanks for the update must admit I was not sure which way round it was so thanks for the correction. I wonder why they did not take the car division back. Can you confirm that Volvo still have part ownership of the car division.
Magnum357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 19:42   #25
Yellowbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
800dly Hell my friend that post has depressed me so much I am going to double up my valium intake today. Joking apart. I had a Jaguar STR for 3 years in a gap between Volvo's. Jaguar now owned by TaTa so it was Ta Ta to my Jaguar. Now Volvo has gone to China. I have no intention of getting a new one so it looks like my T5 will be with me till I kick the bucket.
Volvo Truck and Marine are still owned by Renoult.
If you really want to get depressed see what the Chinese have done to the MG. I fear that Land Rover manufacturing will be moving to India. I understand some of the tools have gone allready.
AB Volvo who make Volvo trucks, buses, marine engines and construction equipment are an independent quoted company who actually own Renault/Mack trucks. Renault do NOT therefore own AB Volvo.
Yellowbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:47   #26
RCSH
G-BOAF

This is what has been issued on our website (Volvo Trucks).

Position statement prior to a possible sale of Volvo Cars to Geely

• The sale being discussed by Ford and the Chinese manufacturer, Geely, comprises the car operations, which was part of the Volvo Group until 1999 when it was sold to Ford.

• In 1999, AB Volvo’s Board of Directors resolved to divest Volvo Cars to the Ford Motor Company. Volvo Cars was then the world’s smallest independent car manufacturer with an annual manufacturing volume of about 400,000 cars. The purchase consideration was SEK 50 billion.

• Since then, the Volvo brand has been owned equally by Ford and AB Volvo via the company Volvo Trademark holding. Ford was never the owner of any other operations than the car manufacturing operations.

• The sale of the car manufacturing to Ford enabled the Volvo Group to streamline its operations and focus on heavy (commercial) vehicles. In addition to high organic growth, the Group has since also made several major acquisitions, including Renault Trucks and Mack (2001), Nissan Diesel (2007) and the manufacturer of industrial equipment, Ingersoll Rand (2007). In addition, the Volvo Group has established a joint venture company for trucks with the Indian company Eicher, in India, as well as a joint venture company for construction machinery in China, with Chinese Lingong.

• Today, the Volvo Group is the second-largest global manufacturer of heavy trucks and heavy buses as well as the third-largest manufacturer of construction machinery. The Parent Company, AB Volvo, is a public limited company and listed on the NASDAQ OMX Exchange Stockholm. Owners include the French vehicle manufacturer, Renault and the Swedish holding company, Industrivärden. Other major owners include Swedish and international institutions and investors. Neither Ford nor Geely have any holding whatsoever in the Volvo Group.

• When Ford acquired Volvo Cars, Ford was the second-largest car manufacturer and also one of the more profitable. Since the divestment of Volvo Cars, Ford’s performance has been weak and the company has reported major losses, which is the reason behind the current strategy to divest other brands and concentrate solely on Ford.

• Since spring 2009, Ford has been actively trying to find a buyer for VCC and a transaction with Geely is expected to be finalized shortly. This transaction would involve Geely purchasing VCC from Ford and also taking over Ford’s 50% ownership of the Volvo brand. The other half of the brand will remain in the Volvo Group as before.

• The Volvo Group has been monitoring the process to find a new owner for VCC. The Volvo Group has always emphasized the importance of VCC being owned by someone who will offer the right industrial and market conditions. We believe it is crucial for VCC’s future that VCC has an owner that can offer economies of scale by virtue of large proprietary production and access to new and expansive markets.
RCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 20:19   #27
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Further to the replies posted since I last dropped by, AB Volvo have always retained ownership of the name, and logos - so, for instance, if Geely don't perform to their liking, they can snatch the name and use of the logo back at any time they so choose.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Volvo Cars actually falls into AB Volvo's lap in the not too distant future.

Cheers,

T
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 22:08   #28
Dibble
VOC Member

Hope you are right T240.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 22:33   #29
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

A little info on Volvo Trademark Holding AB.
http://www3.volvo.com/investors/finr...e/ingress.html

Basically, if AB Volvo started producing passenger cars again they wouldn't be able to apply the Volvo logos/badges. Similarly, if Volvo Cars started building buses and trucks they couldn't use the Volvo trademarks either.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:17   #30
T240
Pure is Beautiful

I think you'll find, if you read between the lines, that AB Volvo (Volvo Group) hold sway over the use of the name and logos.

I have spoken with a number of people associated with the company in Sweden and this is the essence of the feedback I got.

Perhaps a more concrete proof of the status of the name and logos is to be seen in the fact that AB Volvo applied the new 'Iron' logo first, then Volvo Cars followed suit.

Whatever, Geely are buying a share of Volvo Cars which is NOT a controlling share. Again from feedback I have received, they are not fully aware of this fact, much the same as the Chinese companies buying the remnants of Rover believed they were each buying ALL of Rover, only to be ultimately disappointed even after the forced Chinese government merger of the car companies when they found that BMW held the rights to the name and logos.

Cheers,

T

p.s. There are anomalies in the post by RCSH, not least the quote that Ford were the second largest manufacturer of cars when they acquired Volvo Cars - at that time Toyota were the second largest manufacturer of cars in the world (after GM), so his post should not be taken as gospel, nor as directly from AB Volvo, Volvo Trucks (where no such article exists), nor Volvo Group.

Last edited by T240; May 1st, 2010 at 07:37.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote