Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA D4 D4204T14 engine vibrations low RPM.

Views : 4815

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:08   #1
SonicV40

Default VEA D4 D4204T14 engine vibrations low RPM.

hello forum,

after the same post on a different forum, i wanted to ask my question here too:
Im pretty new to the volve-scene. Owning a MY15 V40 D4, which i love so far.

Im kind off a nitpicker, if it comes to vibrations. Reading all over the internet that the D4 is a very smooth diesel and is made to low-rev without problems. That its not a "typical diesel feel" So i found something:

i have an engine/rpm related vibration problem:

In low revs the engine feels smooth when cold(no tipical diesel vibrations) But when the engine gets hot after a 10min drive the enginevibrations are getting realy feelable mostly the steering wheel, mainly in low revs under 1800 rpm. And the engine feels more raw than it should. But only when cruising or on throttle, when i let of throttle it feels very smooth and clean again. when stopped in front of trafficlights i feel the engine vibrations through the steering wheel as wel but that doesnt bother me, RPM on idle is fine and doesnt feel weird.

Above 2k revs it is starting to feel better, so the vibrations a more noticible under 40mph(60kmh) in the steering wheel/collum under 1800rpm, also in the floor a bit, not to much in the seat or dash. Under full load nothing weird, The car pulls fine with no stutter nor hesitations, power seems to be there. So mostly vibrations when cruising around 1300 to 1600 rpm. its really a high pitched/resonanced vibration.

Sometimes i get the idee when cruising 50 mph in 5th/6th gear on the highway that the car does a cycle between vibrate/smooth/vibrate etc. so the vibrations dissapear for a few seconds to come back again. so i gues its a engine control issue more likely than a mechanical (i.e clutch or something)

went to a dealer, they stated that the inlet manifold whas cloged up with carbon and 2 codes showed up: P200A00 intake runner manifold performance error and P200977 voltage control unit manifold valve position error. 2 codes that didnt show on my own OBD reader(so yes the bluetooth ones suck)
both related to the MAP sesnor/inlet manifold.

This intake problem is what volvo newest recal is based on too, but they dont have any solution yet, so if i could pay € 700,- for a new manifold and sensor or wait till the solution is there from the volvo research regarding the D4 ECM/Intake problems.

So i called with Volvo main headquarters here in holland, and few calls later the volvo dealer called and admitted that this issue has something to do with bad ECM software, and volvo said to all dealers: if they didnt trust it, it would be replaced. So they replaced -with permission from the headquarters- the whole intakemanifold under full warranty !!

Also i did get a ECM software update after the replacement, which i don't find very noticible.
They also checked if the EGR valve operated fine. It did. closed to 0.80%.

this said, the car drove fine for a day or 2 but then the vibrations came back again. so i pulled the MAP sensor (wich the dealer wanted to replace @ 100 euro/pound) for my own cost, and i cleaner it with brake cleaner and a toothpic.

made difference at first (maybe placebo) but the vabrations came back 10 km later.

could this vibration be related to the MAP sensor being gone? so rich mix or something, since i touched the inner parts of the sensor to clean but it made no difference. or has anyone maybe a solution or anything else to try?

im lost and really not loving to cruise through the city with lower speeds. only highways are fine.
SonicV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 18:57   #2
SonicV40

o quick update: sensor replaced today, overall i would say not a bad move, but not a solution. The shaking seems better but i still get this smooth engine > rough engine behaviour, i bought injectioncleaner which i will poor in today.

I can really feel/hear the engine going trough the transition cycle of being rough to a smooth one. Ist just a rough growl mixed with vibrations. Must be some sensor right?
SonicV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 10:39   #3
mackan92

Default Similar issue

I bought Volvo V60 2020 D3 and I have a similar issue. Mine is currently being checked at the car mechanics. Did you find a solution?
mackan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 11:17   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

The balancer units on these engines were known to fail in the early ones. Can’t remember if it was noise or vibration they caused but maybe worth mentioning?

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 16:27   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
The balancer units on these engines were known to fail in the early ones. Can’t remember if it was noise or vibration they caused but maybe worth mentioning?
they had a whine not failed.. replaced under warranty