Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil overfill warning??!!??

Views : 15288

Replies : 112

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 11:57   #71
taylora

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Isn't this a problem of the diesel engines, not of the model as such?
I can only comment as I find, same driving habits and no DPF issues on two previous cars, BMW320D and VW Passat. Previous C30 and V70 both had issues and my V90 does too.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 13:18   #72
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
I can only comment as I find, same driving habits and no DPF issues on two previous cars, BMW320D and VW Passat. Previous C30 and V70 both had issues and my V90 does too.
Did your BMW and VW have the same environmental technology as the diesel engines of today?
Since I don't read that it's an issue with petrol engines, it's not a V90 problem as such.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 14:18   #73
taylora

Yes, both were DPF equipped and neither used Ad Blue. I've only ever had DPF issues with Volvos - no other diesel car in our household with a DPF has had any problem related to oil dilution.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 20:25   #74
Boatie
Master Member

There are a couple ot threads running re DPFs and oil overfill.Several posts have mentioned monitoring DPF 'activity' via apps and ELM327 readers. (Whatever that is) Can anyone put the whole thing into language a 73 year old can understand (I still have a few grey cells ). Up to 10 years ago I was keeping on top of things but now,forget it.

Frank
2017my V90.
Windows 7 laptop
Windows10 laptop
Android tablet
Android smartphone
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 14:02   #75
Whaty

Had my car in the garage on Tuesday for the 'Oil Overfilled' issue. On collection I was told they had changed the oil and filter and applied a software update.

Got home, pulled on the drive and checked the oil level indicator. Instead of it showing a solid bar as it did before, there is now a single, verticle line 1 or 2 pixels wide at what I assume is the oil level (it's at approx 8 - 9/10ths).

I'm not worried but I was curious as to why the indication had changed and therefore contacted the garage. Bottom line is they don't know.... They asked me to pop in on my way to work this morning so they could look at it for themselves, I did, they've taken a photo of the display are are going to contact Volvo.

Anyone else had this?
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 15:48   #76
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaty View Post
Had my car in the garage on Tuesday for the 'Oil Overfilled' issue. On collection I was told they had changed the oil and filter and applied a software update.
I wonder how this solultion works.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 17:16   #77
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I wonder how this solultion works.
I Ssuspect by black magic like all those before it.

I'm still looking into a reader/app but I'm not confident there's a suitable app out there.

Still don't understand why Volvo can't introduce a waring light. They can offer software enhancement for crash mitigation (for £75) . I'm sure many would pay for a DPF regen warning. I know I would.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 17:59   #78
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
There are a couple ot threads running re DPFs and oil overfill.Several posts have mentioned monitoring DPF 'activity' via apps and ELM327 readers. (Whatever that is) Can anyone put the whole thing into language a 73 year old can understand (I still have a few grey cells ). Up to 10 years ago I was keeping on top of things but now,forget it.
I'll give it a go. All modern cars are fitted with an on-board diagnostic port, known as an OBD2 port. It's a connector in the cabin to which a 'reader' box of electronics can be connected. Inside a so-called ELM327 reader there's a ELM327 chip which translates the on board diagnostics into something that an appropriate smartphone app, connected to the reader via BlueTooth or WiFi, can read and display. The apps can display numerous items of data including data related to soot buildup which can indicate DPF activity.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 18:00   #79
uksteve

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaty View Post

Got home, pulled on the drive and checked the oil level indicator. Instead of it showing a solid bar as it did before, there is now a single, verticle line 1 or 2 pixels wide at what I assume is the oil level (it's at approx 8 - 9/10ths).

I'm not worried but I was curious as to why the indication had changed and therefore contacted the garage. Bottom line is they don't know.... They asked me to pop in on my way to work this morning so they could look at it for themselves, I did, they've taken a photo of the display are are going to contact Volvo.

Anyone else had this?
Hi Whaty, following my recent service when I next checked my levels the adblue was still in solid blocks but my oil was in small vertical lines showing approx. 8-9ths full - when I told the wife she said I must be confused due to old age!!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 12:33   #80
Whaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksteve View Post
Hi Whaty, following my recent service when I next checked my levels the adblue was still in solid blocks but my oil was in small vertical lines showing approx. 8-9ths full - when I told the wife she said I must be confused due to old age!!!!
Hi Steve, sounds like mine. Is your oil level indicated by a single line or several? In my case it is just a single thin line... Like you say, the AdBlue is still in solid blocks.

Thanks,
Terry