Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T6 Engine Opinions?

Views : 1660

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 21:52   #1
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Question T6 Engine Opinions?

Hi Guys,

Looking to maybe come back to Volvo with an XC60 T6.

We just got this engine this year in the UK, was wondering if anyone else has one or has driven a car with this engine and could tell me what its like?

Would get it with Polestar - I had a T8 which I guess is the same engine minus the electric stuff but it must weigh less and has a different AWD system.

Whats everyone's thoughts - also whats the normal AWD distribution on normal cars?

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 07:51   #2
gaby
Premier Member

We (test) drove both the T5 and the T6 in an XC90.
Found the T6 too aggressive, the T5 smoother having more than enough power.
Some (or many) won't agree. I think you should try both before deciding.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 09:08   #3
Haldex
Premier Member

Interesting decision by Volvo UK to start offering the T6 in UK now that they seem to be removing it from the lineup elsewhere.. It's been offered in most of Europe proper since the very beginning but it's not offered anymore in most EU countries..

Haven't tested the XC90 with it but I have driven a XC60 T6 and that thing flies- but the fuel consumption (I couldn't get more than 25 mpg to save my life..) was a dealbreaker for me.. And I would expect the mpg numbers to be much worse on XC90..

You get 50/50 torque split from standstill (for max grip) which drops to 95/5 under normal driving conditions. Rears can get up to 50% (slippage and torque vectoring). Side-to side quasi-lock accomplished via brakes. It will however feel much more composed compared to ERAD.

I'd look into a B5 petrol AWD though - if nothing - for economy reasons..

XC40 B4 RD AWD

Last edited by Haldex; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 09:21.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:36   #4
Begonia

I love My XC90 Inscription T6. Furthermore, I'm very proud of it, too.

It can be driven very nicely and with a gentle or delicate touch but, my goodness!

What you have got under your right foot, should you ever decide you need it, beggars belief! This thing will do 0-62mph in 6.5 secs.

I will most probably only do around 8,000 miles per year, so I'm not too concerned about its fuel consumption, which as far as I can see, might be this car's only negative.

Conclusion:

You will love it but only buy it if you can afford to run it.

Last edited by Begonia; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 11:02.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 18:18   #5
DangerMUK
VOC Member

I've bought the XC60 T6 - thought why not most of my driving is in London and I did like the power of the thing!

Feels like a lot nicer drive than the T8 (to me) personally!

Dropped the SIM card holder behind the floor carpet so I have to figure out how to get that out now!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-10-23 18.16.28.jpg (337.0 KB, 48 views)

Possibly XC90

Last edited by DangerMUK; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 18:20.
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 20:25   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

Wow.. already?? I wish I was half as spontaneous

Congrats! Osmium gray RD as mine- except yours is about a second faster 0-60

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 21:12   #7
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Yeah lol!!! I was between cars and the dealer did me a good deal there and then (was one of their staff management cars that they had just de-fleeted).

There were only two T6's in the country (XC60s) on Autotrader and the other was Red so it was either this one or something else !

I like it a lot, the T8s are a LOT heavier and feel it compared to the normal engined cars - its basically like my old car without the ERAD and batteries and without the weight so its sort of similar when it gets going (not so much low end grunt).

Also for someone who lives in a city but isn't great at charging the car all the time this just works out better for me :-)

Handles and rides a lot nicer !

Possibly XC90
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 06:16   #8
Dilinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
Yeah lol!!! I was between cars and the dealer did me a good deal there and then (was one of their staff management cars that they had just de-fleeted).

There were only two T6's in the country (XC60s) on Autotrader and the other was Red so it was either this one or something else !

I like it a lot, the T8s are a LOT heavier and feel it compared to the normal engined cars - its basically like my old car without the ERAD and batteries and without the weight so its sort of similar when it gets going (not so much low end grunt).

Also for someone who lives in a city but isn't great at charging the car all the time this just works out better for me :-)

Handles and rides a lot nicer !
Hey congrats on your new ride...
Looks spectacular !
Do you mind reminding me your previous ride 90 or 60?
And what made you change to T6 from T8? (you might be the first), so a comparison is in order LOL...
I agree with the above comment about waiting for B5 or B6 Petrol, but if you got a sweet deal it makes a lot of sense to grab it now...
Dilinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 18:22   #9
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Wow.. already?? I wish I was half as spontaneous

Congrats! Osmium gray RD as mine- except yours is about a second faster 0-60
Its a nice engine but I live and spend 90% of my time in Central London.

I've had a D5 XC60 loaner for a week or two before and that was a really nice engine - I'm guessing with Polestar it would be cool as well.

The D5/newB5 is probably the best engine choice of the range for the XC60 but I was intrigued by the T6 with standard Haldex system and Polestar tune (which I have) and I do really enjoy it - very revvy and quite fun! Not sure how well its going to do with the B6 around the corner - but we will see !!

Really enjoying it so far !

Possibly XC90
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 18:27   #10
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
Hey congrats on your new ride...
Looks spectacular !
Do you mind reminding me your previous ride 90 or 60?
And what made you change to T6 from T8? (you might be the first), so a comparison is in order LOL...
I agree with the above comment about waiting for B5 or B6 Petrol, but if you got a sweet deal it makes a lot of sense to grab it now...
Hey mate, this is personal to me, but, I live in flats, so we have no chargers here and no on street chargers, so it was relying on me charging at work and sometimes I forgot or couldn't be bothered so I wasn't really charging it that much and then I was using more fuel to charge it in the car so basically most of the time I just had a T6 anyway just without the haldex AWD system.

So when I remembered they were launching the T6 in the UK I had a look, a dealer did me a good deal and I jumped at it. Will see how it pans out!

The non-hybrid cars are a LOT lighter (I had both an XC60 T8 and then an XC90 T8 after it) so they handle a lot differently to the hybrid versions in my opinion. The air suspension was a LOT more crashy in the XC60 with even smaller wheels! This has to be due to the weight of the batteries and ERAD as the suspension setup would have been identical.

Obviously the MPG on the T6 is really bad - I'm getting mid to low 20s but then I don't do many miles and I enjoy the power on offer so its no big deal.

Thats just me though and everyone's different so what works for me might not work for anyone else?

With that being said enjoying it !

Apart from the rear suspension seems to have a mind of its own when it levels itself but I'll keep an eye on that!

Possibly XC90