Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vodafone 100GB SIM not working

Views : 23865

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:56   #71
MattDell

I have. Sorry, I meant the 3 page guide on page 1 of the forum thread

I’ve put in the APN, selected data roaming, etc.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:57   #72
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDell View Post
I have. Sorry, I meant the 3 page guide on page 1 of the forum thread

I’ve put in the APN, selected data roaming, etc.
Hmmm... is a bit of an odd one then as should all work if you follow it to the letter.... maybe need to pop to your local dealer as they should be able to assist.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 12:24   #73
Chelt Guy

Default Working at Last

Had to take my new xc60 back to the garage twice before they could get the internet symbol to show. However that's just the beginning, you then need to switch the car to become a wifi hotspot and go thru a series of Vodafone registration screens to get the SIM to work. Took me 5 or 6 times before I got it to work. Always managed to get to the last registration screen and then it would dump out.
Just need to keep at it over a few days, as I said I eventually go it to work and since then it has worked fine.
Chelt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 12:27   #74
Beavis
Premier Member

i'm fairly certain my 100gb bundle is now working.
can i check with other users -
after startup, does your system take around 1 minute to get a signal before the globe shows on the screen, and then "pings" through the speakers?
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 14:34   #75
Begonia

I am led to believe, that if you disconnect the battery in the boot and leave it for a few minutes, then doing this is like a reboot of a PC and any old data will be removed.

(Can someone please confirm as to whether this is OK to do and won't wreck anything. Should doing it be left to the dealer?)

I think this is what my car might need. Why? Well......

When I collected it, I was told by the dealer, that they'd tried to install the 100GB SIM but hadn't succeeded. The young lady concerned, further explained to me, that Volvo dealers were experiencing 'glitches' with doing this and if so were waiting for Volvo to come back on it. Once this happened and they had further information, it would be sensible to move further with things and attempt a re-install of the 100GB SIM card.

I went home with the car but with no operable SIM card in the car - it had obviously been removed. I read on here what one could do and went back to the young lady who posted me a fresh SIM card for me to try to install myself.

I didn't have any success but in my efforts to do so I did detect signs that someone had tried before and with an iPhone too, and had obviously left behind their old passwords and username.

I think this old data needs clearing out. Hence my query on disconnecting the battery to get rid of that old data. I'd do it with the SIM card removed and then re-try a fresh install with that SIM card once again.

On the Instructions, kindly supplied by our friend Marc Tilling at Bells, it does disturb me to read the following:

P-SIM Retailer Process

NB: once the SIM has been inserted into the vehicle, this SIM is then allocated to this vehicle digitally. Therefore, you must only insert a SIM into one vehicle once. If subsequent SIMs are put in the same vehicle, they will be cancelled.

This reads to me, that one can only ever try to install one SIM card. Why? Well, any SIM inserted after that will not work because it will be canceled.

This is just utterly ridiculous!!!!!!!

Last edited by Begonia; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 14:37.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 14:48   #76
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
I am led to believe, that if you disconnect the battery in the boot and leave it for a few minutes, then doing this is like a reboot of a PC and any old data will be removed.

(Can someone please confirm as to whether this is OK to do and won't wreck anything. Should doing it be left to the dealer?)

When I collected it, I was told by the dealer, that they'd tried to install the 100GB SIM but hadn't succeeded. The young lady concerned, further explained to me, that Volvo dealers were experiencing 'glitches' with doing this and if so were waiting for Volvo to come back on it. Once this happened and they had further information, it would be sensible to move further with things and attempt a re-install of the 100GB SIM card.

I went home with the car but with no operable SIM card in the car - it had obviously been removed. I read on here what one could do and went back to the young lady who posted me a fresh SIM card for me to try to install myself.

I didn't have any success but in my efforts to do so I did detect signs that someone had tried before and with an iPhone too, and had obviously left behind their old passwords and username.

I think this old data needs clearing out. Hence my query on disconnecting the battery to get rid of that old data. I'd do it with the SIM card removed and then re-try a fresh install with that SIM card once again.

On the Instructions, kindly supplied by our friend Marc Tilling at Bells, it does disturb me to read the following:

P-SIM Retailer Process

NB: once the SIM has been inserted into the vehicle, this SIM is then allocated to this vehicle digitally. Therefore, you must only insert a SIM into one vehicle once. If subsequent SIMs are put in the same vehicle, they will be cancelled.

This reads to me, that one can only ever try to install one SIM card. Why? Well, any SIM inserted after that will not work because it will be canceled.

Hi,

I personally wouldn't advise disconnecting batteries yourself as you're likely to cause more issues than you resolve - it does sound like it's going to need some kind of reset though...

The fact someone had an iPhone paired to the car before you got it would have no influence on the P-SIM process.

There is always a default username and password in the Car WiFi as default from the factory.

I have a PSIM in the XC40 I'm driving current which activated fine and we have had plenty of cars go out without any issues now, so not sure why some dealers are still struggling to get it right. You can always ask them to get in touch with Volvo Technical to try and help resolve it if they don't know/aren't able to do it themselves?..... does sound like if they have tried a SIM which hasn't worked (who knows how far through the procedure they got?) then your car may have been digitally signed to that SIM - if you now don't have access to this SIM then any subsequent SIM is going to get cancelled ...

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 16:45   #77
BroadwayBlueshirt

Quote:

P-SIM Retailer Process

No on your last point.

I removed an old sim and inserted a new one recently and works perfectly well
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 18:14   #78
Begonia

Quote:
No on your last point.

I removed an old sim and inserted a new one recently and works perfectly well
So have I - on my last car but the one you are referring to, that you say you swapped, was it a 2020 model car with Volvo's 100GB Vodafone P-SIM?
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 19:17   #79
BroadwayBlueshirt

Quote:
So have I - on my last car but the one you are referring to, that you say you swapped, was it a 2020 model car with Volvo's 100GB Vodafone P-SIM?
No, it wasn`t.

It was a 100Gb that came out though.

But anyway, my story doesn`t help you.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 13:30   #80
Begonia

I found this article on AM-Online.com:

Volvo boosts connectivity with free SIM card data in every car

01/08/2019
Author: Tom Sharpe
News and features editor

A standard-fit data SIM card offering 100GB of free data will boost the take-up of Volvo connectivity services for the first year of customers’ ownership experience with the Swedish brand.

Emphasising the technology’s use as a tool to boost safety on the road, the Swedish brand said that real-time traffic information and alerts received and transmitted when a similarly connected Volvo car’s hazard lights are triggered nearby – or slippery road surfaces are encountered – are all among the benefits.

Volvo has a long-established target to ensure that no-one should be killed or injured in one of its vehicles by 2020 and has rolled-out various technology to help boost safety in recent years.

In March this year, it announced that it would install cameras in their vehicles which will watch drivers through cameras to look for signs of intoxication or distraction.

It also intends to impose a 112mph speed limit on all its cars by 2020.

But Volvo retailers could also benefit from the ability to deliver service reminders direct to customers’ cars thanks to the new connected SIM card technology.

Kristian Elvefors, Volvo Car UK managing director, said: “Being connected is a hugely important part of modern life, and in-car connectivity brings a whole host of benefits in terms of entertainment, information, journey planning and safety while on the move.

“By fitting a data SIM card to every new Volvo, we are ensuring that our customers can enjoy the cutting-edge technology in our cars to the full, while also making their lives easier and more enjoyable.”

The standard-fit SIM card initiative will be rolled-out across the Volvo franchised network on all Model Year 2020 cars, buts can also be retro-fitted to any that have already been delivered to customers.

The SIM card allows the driver and their passengers to be fully connected at all times, with access to 100GB of data for up to one year.

Volvo said this is the “longest and most generous” Vodafone plan currently offered by a car maker in the UK.