Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annual cost of maintenance

Views : 11826

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Annual cost of Car Maintenance
Under £200 26 16.67%
£201 to £400 44 28.21%
£401 to £600 32 20.51%
£601 to £800 20 12.82%
Over £800 34 21.79%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 22:41   #71
wdavies

I don't think they are any different to run than other cars.
Parts are pricey, but reliability on ours has been second to none. The only car I can say that has been as good was a legacy gt-b we owned years ago.
In four years we had two engine lights on that, one was a knackered alternator, other was airflow meter.
Our t5 has been with us 6 years over now.
Sensor wise, airflow meter, etm, variable cam sensor.
They do eat tyres and bushes but weigh two ton approx so they are going to. Ours has had discs and pads on front rear pads and shoes, and the adjuster upgrade, couple of exhaust mounts, cambelt, inner and outer track rod ends serp belt and pulley wishbone bushes, lower ball joint thermostat. That's about it really apart from regular oil and filters which I don't really count.
Cost of car £1750,
Maintenance easy that again. But it's a versatile 7 seater that ticks all boxes.
Volvo parts are as good as benz when it comes to knowing cars and being able to find and order the parts you want.

All in all good cars and great service departments.
wdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wdavies For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 09:20   #72
Cento16v

Depends on how far you go with it and what you want from your car I guess!

I've spent in excess of £2000 on replacing bits that have failed and probably nearly the same in consumables in the near 4 years I've owned mine, but, I've always replaced with better parts when I've changed anything, and I've replaced everything at once as well as preventative maintenance.

When the rear shocks were tired I replaced all 4 springs, shocks, arb links, spring seats, rubbers and any suspension bushes on arms which needed to be removed as i was removing them anyway, same with the track rods etc...

I also replaced suspension but with better than o.e in the case of shocks and springs which added costs.

I change the gearbox fluid with the oil every 8000ish miles as my car runs more power than standard and I tow a caravan occasionally so it best to look after it to make sure there are no issues down the line, but to be fair the fluid stays red now regardless.

Exhaust was replaced due to rot, radiator and inter cooler for the same reason, boost pipes replaced due to being a bit soft and old, one coil pack failed so I replaced all 5 along with the plugs, PCV and new hoses were fitted about 3 years ago, upper and lower engine mounts about 2 years ago, front and rear discs, pads and shoes last year, new TCV last year, replaced the ABS pump motor last year, replaced the wheels this year as all the beads were corroded and losing air, 3 sets of front tyres and 2 sets of rears, 6 oil changes, 3 pollen filters, 1 Pipercross panel air filter and cleaning kit, 1 fuel filter, 3 sets of Bosch Aerotwin wipers.

Some of that consumables, some just preventative maintenance, but if I put costs at £1000 a year for replacements and servicing I think that's pretty cheap tbh, the car doesn't owe me anything, I've covered 50000+ comfortable miles in it, it's never let me down and what could replace it for that cost!
Cento16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 21:30   #73
oragex
Premier Member

As above, it's going to vary widely depending on the user. If someone wants everything perfect, and fixed right away only by the main dealer, these cars will make you spent hefty amounts, perhaps even close to the original sticker price in the long term. I'm closer to the opposite end: I get 80% of my parts at the breakers - BUT I look mostly for genuine (or made for genuine) parts that were recently replaced. Still, I had to buy new parts, some genuine - such as the shock absorbers, some aftermarket (flex downpipe and catalytic converter). Doing basically everything myself (except mounting tires) I'm at about £400 yearly expenses in average (including tires, battery, brakes, etc). Fortunately, to date no big repairs other than a $400 towing for a broken alternator regulator
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 00:24   #74
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Yesterdays cost of maintenance is a cracked rib and lots of pain.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2023, 23:18   #75
Chris1Roll

The old boy who owned My wifes 2001 V70XC for the first 20 years of it's life had everything (including bulbs, wipers and tyres) done by the main dealers.

On average, he spent £1000 per year on it.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 06:13   #76
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

It's over £1k for us this year so far thanks to minor service and overhaul of rear brakes, replacing calipers, pads and flexible brake pipes.
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 08:53   #77
Fastpatsilents

I have the three year service plan with my dealership (Ray Chapman Malton) £30 a month. Locked in any inflation increases and together with an extended warranty means I know that most of my motoring costs are covered at £1,000 a year in total.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote