Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Rear reflector LED light strip conversion.

Views : 13514

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 20:56   #21
Funky Diver
FD

Ian's are red and white. I've only put red in mine.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:10   #22
phaedrus

Oh no, now this I love! Another thing on the todo list me thinks.
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phaedrus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 18:24   #23
stevesullie

Default stevesullie

great how to,,,have you had any problems with bulbs blowing since leds went in and do you have any check bulb warning light on dash,,very interested in doing this,,,cheers
stevesullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 21:45   #24
Matthew Malaney

Thumbs up rear light conversion

Thanks very much, your detailed information will be of great help, i'm bringing the vehicle over to Spain in May, will carry out the work then, hopefully no rain to interfere with the job, once again thanks for your help.
Matt
Matthew Malaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 22:40   #25
Matthew Malaney

Default rear lights conversion

Hi, pulled off one of my tail lamps today intending to follow your detailed instructions, the problem is, it would appear that the inside of my lamps are different from yours mine is a 2009 model, their is no cavity between the black plastic backing and the red plastic light body, the backing has a pyramid dimple pattern and would appear to be attached directly to the outer shell of the lamp, do you know if the light units have been changed, if so would I need to source other lights? Or could I take a chance and try and cut the backing off anyway,
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Matt
Matthew Malaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:10   #26
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Malaney View Post
Hi, pulled off one of my tail lamps today intending to follow your detailed instructions, the problem is, it would appear that the inside of my lamps are different from yours mine is a 2009 model, their is no cavity between the black plastic backing and the red plastic light body, the backing has a pyramid dimple pattern and would appear to be attached directly to the outer shell of the lamp, do you know if the light units have been changed, if so would I need to source other lights? Or could I take a chance and try and cut the backing off anyway,
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Matt
I do believe the rear light sections did change unfortunately (not sure what year tho'), but I think they are forward compatible iirc. Not seen the newer style so don't know how you'd modify them - if at all ?
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:12   #27
deeming77

Hi I have a set already modified, same as the style in the guide, but I'm after a set off newer reg.
I have 2012 lower lights and they seem to fit ok.
Look in the sale section, I have put an add with pics if this may help
deeming77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:09   #28
nickbw898

There is a guy in the US who has done this to an XC70 (not sure which year, but post 2007, I think) he has taken off both tail light sections, each side, and used a dremel to chase out the outer edge to leave a channel into which he introduced strip LEDs.

The finished appearance is great; very similar to current Volvo LED setup where the rear view accentuates the hipped appearance. Very sexy! His write up is on the VolvoXC.com website complete with photos, including a video of the external rear view appearance. When I find the posting I will come back and edit here to leave a link.

Right here is one link:-
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ED+tail+lights

Also, if you go to the original Russian web site for this topic and copy the URL into Google translate you can follow it perfectly. It is no good just using the PDF document and trying to translate parts of that. I think because of the text encoding. Every time I try it google Russian to English thinks I am posting Chinese characters!!!
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 12:35   #29
sasvarit

Default Fuse?

Hi guys! I would like to know more about the fuse. Do I need to use stronger fuse after this led stripe modification or the existing fuse will be able to handle the new power consumption? Thanks in advance...
sasvarit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 13:19   #30
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasvarit View Post
Hi guys! I would like to know more about the fuse. Do I need to use stronger fuse after this led stripe modification or the existing fuse will be able to handle the new power consumption? Thanks in advance...
Would doubt it as the power drawn by the LED is very little
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post: