Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeaking/Whistling sound

Views : 2528

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2019, 16:43   #1
Owee

Angry Squeaking/Whistling sound

A squeaking sound is driving me mad. Its like someones sat with a little whistle. I have had the dealership look at it who initially thought it was the brakes but are now scratching their heads too. Its very significant at low speeds over the slightest bumps/pot holes in the road, enough for pedestrians to hear it and been told "you got a squeaky suspension."

Car has air suspension and covered 22k so I guess original brake pads.

Couple of thoughts, happens in all driving modes and all the time so leads me to think its not the brakes as the dealers first question was does it go away when you press the brakes? When I press the brakes hard it goes away but I presume that is something to do with load on the suspension silencing it?? If it were brakes then I assume it would only happen when pressing the brakes, right?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 12:45   #2
rubachuk

Edit - Deleted
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 17:45   #3
mdmd

Exactly same thing happens to me (with an XC60 -air). Few days ago my dealer said it was due to certain piece of the brake caliper that slightly touched the rotor (kind of a cover, I understood). The explanation was sounding and I was happy.

But noise has returned. Again an open question.

Good luck for both of us!
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 07:50   #4
JAmaral
XC90 MY18 - PGray/MBrown

Exactly the same here. Also driving me mad. Dealer swapped the pads for free after running a few tests and saying it was nothing. I complained and showed them the problem and they finally noticed it as well. The thing is that the problem persists and it’s super annoying as I drive with my window open most of the time...
JAmaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:19   #5
serious
Neophile

Default whistling sound

Funnily enough I had been hearing a random whistling over last few weeks on my XC60. Must admit I'm not the most observant and assumed it was my boy messing with windows so didn't pay it much attention. Normally most noise is drowned out by his recent love of Queen songs!

Over the weekend though the Air suspension unit failed and now waiting for a replacement to be shipped from Sweden(I'm told) under warranty repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191018_222024.jpg (63.3 KB, 75 views)
serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 17:58   #6
streetg

My car (XC90 MY19 with <10k miles) has just started making a whistling / air leak type sound, it happens whilst sat still and revving the engine, below 2000 rpm.

It's been in the dealership all day today where they have not found anything, its booked in for a week in a couple of weeks time so they can start pulling it apart to see if they can find it.

Hoping its not too major!!
2019 XC90 D5 Momentum Pro, Polestar.
2022 XC60 B4 R-Design Pro.
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 21:32   #7
Giles1234

I get a faint whistle from the wing mirrors when driving along 40mph+. It's only really audible when the window is all the way down.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 09:18   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
Funnily enough I had been hearing a random whistling over last few weeks on my XC60. Must admit I'm not the most observant and assumed it was my boy messing with windows so didn't pay it much attention. Normally most noise is drowned out by his recent love of Queen songs!

Over the weekend though the Air suspension unit failed and now waiting for a replacement to be shipped from Sweden(I'm told) under warranty repair.
I noticed by your stop start "Ready" you have not had the latest software update yet, get your dealer to update this when you get you car fixed.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 22:08   #9
mdmd

My car is also squeaking at low speed. Can only be heard at low speed and windows open, but it is quite bothering. Looks like comning from brakes, although it sounds when no braking.
Dealer tried to fix it once, with no success. In USa forum there are also reports on this problem:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...The-Problemrst
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...17#post7455817

As far as I know, there is no solution yet.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 23:50   #10
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Mine does it too. Only at very low speed and it's irritating for sure. Curiously or not i have air suspension too. All people here who commented have air suspension too? If yes it's probably an air suspension problem.