Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850R issues or am I going mad?

Views : 2108

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 12:11   #11
volvo again
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Checking the rack and steering wheel alignment should be fairly quick so not bad to rule it out, (if you start with the wheel at 12 o'clock are there as many turns to full lock one way as the other?), maybe the delta links are the issue, what I think dingo means is to get the body shell checked for the correct alignment by an accident repair shop, wheel alignment will only change the suspension and tracking settings but won't tell you if the foundations you are building on are true.
Exactly what I was saying...if the shell is twisted or suspension mounting points are damaged, maybe due to a previous owner, OP did say it might have slid into a kerb, nothing will be straight. Expensive I know...
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 14:13   #12
850Red

I already know it definitely needs delta links as when on the big 4 wheel laser alignment system the N/S/R arm is adjusted as far as possible but is still out of alignment.

I was just checking that my theory on the steering made sense, and it seems people agree with me that it does.

I think the point about amount of turns to full lock is wrong though. If the track rod ends are fully extended at one side, and fully in on the other, then even though the wheel may look perfectly centred, the steering rack definitely wont be!

A side note. When I picked the car up, driving home I noticed the steering wheel was at 90 degrees from where it should be. I rang the seller (I got the car shipped over from England to NI) and he said "Yeah no problem, just take steering wheel off and adjust it mate." Alarm bells were ****ing ringing at that point. I carried on home but noticed the steering seemed to be getting worse. I pulled off the dual carriageway and now proceeded at at a crawl, hoping to make it home. I approached a junction and as I pulled out, the car seemed stuck. I got out, and the ****ing wheels were both pointing in opposite directions. THE TRACK ROD END HAD BECOME DETACHED FROM THE STEERING RACK!

I could have been killed that day.

The AA rescue guy couldn't believe it. He got underneath and said the end of the steering rack nut had been threaded, but managed to reattach the track rod to get me home. I then started rebuilding the entire ****ing front of the car from scratch. THAT is what I'm up against with this car. Nothing surprises me! So I am almost 100% certain the previous owner has got the steering wheel on wrong.

:/
850Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 03:29   #13
PNuT
MaDMaN

How exactly can the steering wheel be on wrong?

The track rod ends need adjusting, it is as simple as that!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 09:50   #14
850Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
How exactly can the steering wheel be on wrong?

The track rod ends need adjusting, it is as simple as that!!!
Wrong. I've already explained it several times.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 11:48   #15
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

The steering wheel can be on wrong if a previous owner removed it and reinstalled it incorrectly in a deliberate attempt to try to mask the alignment/steering issues.

The most certain way to check the steering wheel would be to disconnect the track rod ends so the rack is only connected to the steering wheel then turn the wheel from lock to lock counting the number of turns, then for example if it is 3 whole circles from lock to lock turn it 1.5 turns from full lock and that will be the rack centred. Then if the steering wheel isn't on straight you will need to remove the airbag and wheel then reinstall the wheel correctly on the splines.

Then you can check the front alignment/position of the track rod ends.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:04   #16
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Red View Post
Wrong. I've already explained it several times.
so because you have explained something it makes you right?
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:05   #17
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
The steering wheel can be on wrong if a previous owner removed it and reinstalled it incorrectly in a deliberate attempt to try to mask the alignment/steering issues.

The most certain way to check the steering wheel would be to disconnect the track rod ends so the rack is only connected to the steering wheel then turn the wheel from lock to lock counting the number of turns, then for example if it is 3 whole circles from lock to lock turn it 1.5 turns from full lock and that will be the rack centred. Then if the steering wheel isn't on straight you will need to remove the airbag and wheel then reinstall the wheel correctly on the splines.

Then you can check the front alignment/position of the track rod ends.
steering wheel position wont matter if it is hitting the stops first!

I wonder why the steering column is splined.....
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:28   #18
850Red

Quote:
so because you have explained something it makes you right?
If you're too thick to keep up then that's your problem, not mine.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:31   #19
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Red View Post
If you're too thick to keep up then that's your problem, not mine.
o dear
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 20:22   #20
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
o dear
Yeah..

Sorry, as much as I don't like his swearing (why he got banned, different thread), I think it would be good if you re-read this whole thread.

Example: lock to lock stops won't engage at all if rods are disconnected. That's because wheels and hubs (and stops are fitted to hubs and wishbones) don't move at all.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote