Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cannot open tailgate

Views : 1165

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2015, 20:46   #1
vrb

Default Cannot open tailgate

Hi everyone

Just bought an 2008 xc70 a few weeks ago and have a strange problem.. Since today i cannot open the tailgate... I hear an unlocking sound coming from the lock area but trying to open the tailgate i feel no resistance in the handle and nothing happens.. Aarrgghhh. Anyone know of an easy fix or is this a garage job and any idea what sort of damage I'm looking at?

Also the passenger side door the door locking button doesnt go down all the way 80% of the time. Pressing the button down manually locks the door fine.. Is this going to be another expensive repair?

Many thanks. Vincent
vrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 23:09   #2
GrantA
Master Member

Hello Vincent and welcome,

Not exactly the same problem but if you read through this you may find some similarities http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...light=tailgate

Alternatively do a search using the key words "tailgate will not open" or something like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 06:35   #3
vrb

Hi Grant, thank you for the link. Managed to open the tailgate by pushing the door release in the opposite direction and it seemed to allow the mechanism to work.. Perhaps it didn't quite return to it's correct position the last time it was used?

Will def get the garage to check the passenger side locking though.

Will also have more of a play around today as it was quite dark last night when I managed to get the thing open

oooh btw you have an XC70 as well.. Nice car. Going to take it on a nice long European tour next week and need the bits and pieces to work
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 23:21   #4
vrb

Happened again today.. One thing I noticed is that if I push the lever al the way back then forward it then opens the tailgate..

I've noticed that there is a metal bar that holds the release lever in place.. I'm wondering if that is corroded and occasionally not allowing the lever to return correctly?
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 09:47   #5
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb View Post
Happened again today.. One thing I noticed is that if I push the lever al the way back then forward it then opens the tailgate..

I've noticed that there is a metal bar that holds the release lever in place.. I'm wondering if that is corroded and occasionally not allowing the lever to return correctly?
Sounds like that could be the answer although corrosion that severe should not happen, IIRC the release lever is covered and not exposed. I say "should not happen" but our cars have a lot Ford parts in them and who knows...........

Haynes manual explains how to remove the tailgate trim cover - looks straight forward - that should allow you access to the workings
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 16:49   #6
Craig S

My V70 has that very problem, but every single time all i have to do is push the tailgate release towards the front of the car before I try and open it and it opens fine after that
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig S For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2015, 08:53   #7
vrb

Thanks guys.. I think I'll take it to the garage and ask them to give it a disassemble and reassemble and clean..

The other issue is the passenger door lock.. It doesn't always go down when locking or not as in about 70% of the time. Could this be just a bad actuator? Anyone know how much it would cost to replace?

Driving across Europe next week and don't really want a stuck tailgate or a door that won't lock.
Old Jul 31st, 2015, 10:05   #8
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi the door lock could be as simple as a sticky or stiff linkage . Try squirting some wd 40 or similar onto the linkage . The worst case is the motor is weak or contaminated with the grease applied during assembly as was ours . To fix this you will need to remove the lock actuator assembly and either replace ,very expensive or remove and strip and clean the locking motor . I have stripped out and cleaned the motor on my sons V70 . It took about 4 1/2 hours but cost nothing and is still working fine a year later. If you decide to have a go then take plenty of pics while dismantling as it is a complicated lock . You may be able to source a good secondhand lock assembly far cheaper than new price from a breaker, but try the spray lube first , it just might fix it .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 16:09   #9
vrb

The garage reckons that the solenoids need replacing on the passenger side door and the tailgate.. By solenoid do they mean actuator? Sounds expensive!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 20:43   #10
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi what the garage calls a "Solenoid " is not really that but a complicated lock/ actuator mechanism . Older cars used a simple solenoid to actuate the door locks that were simple to fit or change . The Volvo lock ,certainly the drivers door lock is a bit different and quite complex . As said in earlier post its the motor that becomes weak due to contamination but once removed is a simple fix . Its the removing that is the tricky bit and will be expensive to fix at a garage .The motors are not available on their own and a complete lock will probably cost £200+ plus labour . Best option would be a good auto electrician who has some experience of this fault .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote