Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights

Views : 3430

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2020, 10:12   #31
mgd109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I agree. The only options for us with poor halogen headlights are;

2. Buy new headlight units (projector's, not reflectors) that support HID bulbs (clearly marked that they do) with ballasts & self levelling devices fitted. Check that headlamp washers are operational too.
And strongly suspect vehicles management system would need updating so at not to give lamp warnings. I've measures 35 Watt D2S HIDs at 43 Watt actual power consumption a rather surprising 8 Watt lost in an inefficient ballast. The power on start up during ignition of the arc is a lot more, and varies dependent on burner condition, not sure how much as my meters don't react fast enough to give an accurate measurement, but my BMW (bike not car) set to use 55 Watt Halogen cuts the power to the headlamp circuit if connected to a 35 Watt D2S as it goes beyond what is expected and assumes short circuit (no fuses just electronic circuit breakers). Everything I did was with OEM Phillips LVQ-212 ballast/igniters and for my own personal curiosity, I would never advocate retrofitting HID or LED into Halogen specific reflectors and I'm glad this is now being supported by the MOT test. Only way to fo is full headlamp system swap out.
mgd109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 10:23   #32
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd109 View Post
And strongly suspect vehicles management system would need updating so at not to give lamp warnings. I've measures 35 Watt D2S HIDs at 43 Watt actual power consumption a rather surprising 8 Watt lost in an inefficient ballast. The power on start up during ignition of the arc is a lot more, and varies dependent on burner condition, not sure how much as my meters don't react fast enough to give an accurate measurement, but my BMW (bike not car) set to use 55 Watt Halogen cuts the power to the headlamp circuit if connected to a 35 Watt D2S as it goes beyond what is expected and assumes short circuit (no fuses just electronic circuit breakers). Everything I did was with OEM Phillips LVQ-212 ballast/igniters and for my own personal curiosity, I would never advocate retrofitting HID or LED into Halogen specific reflectors and I'm glad this is now being supported by the MOT test. Only way to fo is full headlamp system swap out.
Even that is fraught with problems....

The headlamp type is coded into the CEM at manufacture, it cannot be changed afterwards (not even with a software update).

The impact of this is how the headlamps are switched - the switching of the dipped beam at least is transistorised and uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to given an effective ~ 12 volts rather than the 14.+ system voltage. It does this to increase lamp life, some cars where the headlights are DRL's run at a lower effective voltage when in DRL mode.

It's this switching that plays havoc with many electronic ballasts, people who fit HID kits often report pulsing, flickering, switching off after a short time or just not working at all.

There was one chap on here who devised a system to make it work properly on an XC90, but that involved relays, dummy loads, and time delay switches etc. I can't remember who it was otherwise I would have linked to it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 11:06   #33
mgd109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Even that is fraught with problems....

The headlamp type is coded into the CEM at manufacture, it cannot be changed afterwards (not even with a software update).
I'll state I am completely ignorant of Volvo management systems and coding but this surprises me. S80 had HID as an option? I'm I right in thinking that.

I have 3rd party software to access my motorcycle management systems, LED indicators and brake/tail light where an option over halogen. It's very simple to change between the two, HID was never an option so unsurprisingly no option to select, however fairly confident if HID was an option it would be exactly the same. With the bike all factory options appear configurable nothing "hard coded".
mgd109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 18:32   #34
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Found it - read Page 2 of this thread:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ay+load&page=2
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 15:33   #35
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd109 View Post
Reading the above post by Tannaton, even a headlight swap isn't guaranteed to work either.

It seems that buying a car that has HID's fitted already as standard is the best option (certainly not the cheapest though, admittedly). Otherwise, buy the brighter halogen bulbs from brands like Osram & fit them into the halogen headlight instead. The brighter halogen's won't be as good as HID's, but its much less hassle.

Last edited by Kev0607; Dec 26th, 2020 at 15:36.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 22:50   #36
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^^^ That....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135