Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321855

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 22:17   #2271
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento16v View Post
Had the tracking reset now its on its new wheels and tyres, love how it looks now.
Is your car lowered? It does look lovely!
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 22:35   #2272
Cento16v

Its on proper Volvo standard lowering springs from factory, it's just all been replace in the last year with brand new parts and it sits very well now I think!
Cento16v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cento16v For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 14:59   #2273
cheshired5
Premier Member

Ran 10 litres of JWS3309 through a TF80SC autobox which had 135k miles on original fluid.

Ok, not what I did today but last week and not on a P2 but a P3. Other than that, entirely on topic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 08:55   #2274
MisterGee19

Took the Silver T5 in for an MOT - which it failed on a few things (my fault for not paying more attention)
Sidelight bulbs, windscreen wipers, split fuel cap seal and a front ball-joint.

Had advisories for what I suspect are the rear ARB drop links, and side repeaters not being yellow enough.

All in all not at all too bad, and will be sorted for less than £150.
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 01:04   #2275
ASt85
Premier Member

Red face Replaced battery

The starter has sounded a little sluggish when starting the car the last few times, so after checking the voltage which showed 11.5 Volts, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the 16-year-old Volvo original so bought a YBX5019 Yuasa Silver High Performance 100Ah battery with a 5-year guarantee from Tayna Batteries for £98.99 delivered.

On removing the old battery 2 days ago, I realised that the previous owner had used a white grease to coat the terminals inside and out, which appeared to be the same grease that had been used on all of the door hinges.
I cleaned off all the old grease with propyl alcohol, greased the new battery terminals and the connectors with “Copper Ease” and installed the new battery, pd showed 13.6V with a very quick turn over - result. I put the old battery on standard charge and after 5 hours the meter showed it to be fully charged, strange as it had been almost flat according to the voltmeter.

Left off charge for 48 hours the pd across the old battery terminals showed as 13.3 Volts!

There had been no corrosion on the old battery terminals or the connectors.

Could it be that the white grease was a di-electric grease which whilst it would have protected against corrosion, had effectively been reducing the charging of the battery due to poor conductivity and reduced surface area contact at the terminals or perhaps only conductivity through any moisture in the old grease?

Very odd, but it appears that I am the proud owner of a 16-year-old OEM Volvo battery that is almost as good the new Yuasa

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Dec 3rd, 2020 at 01:11.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 22:52   #2276
Cento16v

My steering rack helpfully decided the fluid was better off outside than in a couple of weeks ago so I've managed to get an actual brand new steering rack which is apparently a bit hard to get hold of! Wasn't cheap though!

New track rod ends and drop links as I've got to lower the subframe, 18 month old so it can't hurt.

Also have new front anti roll bar bushes and subframe bushes since its down.

Will be a fun Monday I'm sure 😂
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 11:30   #2277
Millie20

The front end of my new (to me) 2006 d5 v70 was starting to look a bit tired. The headlights were horrible with yellow fading and the grill was just a bit too much chrome for my liking.

Headlights - sanded back the headlights with 800, 1200, 2000 and 2500 grit wet paper then polished them up and applied some Halford clear coat. Whilst the headlights cleared right up, the "orange peel" from the clear coat was unbearable. Back to the start - 800, 1200, 2000, 2500 sand paper, then a good polish. Good as new, but let's see how long it lasts.

Grill - The grill took a few days, which meant a few trips into town sans grill. I sanded it as best I could, it's fiddly with all the nooks and cranny, then hung it from a tree in my back garden and applied 4 coats of simoniz etch primer. I left the primer a day to dry in the utility room then started with simoniz satin black paint, again 4 coats. Another day in the utility room then came the clear coat. The finish isn't great with the clear coat, but is unnoticeable from 2m away, so for the sake of having a protective barrier over the paint, we'll live with it.

The end result.

Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 22:06   #2278
camturbo

Got me cambelt and belts etc done and 4 wheel alignment done at same time. Steering wheel is now straight and wing mirror no longer vibrates. Few other issues to sort out when funds allow as parts arent exactly cheap.
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 02:15   #2279
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
The starter has sounded a little sluggish when starting the car the last few times, so after checking the voltage which showed 11.5 Volts, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the 16-year-old Volvo original so bought a YBX5019 Yuasa Silver High Performance 100Ah battery with a 5-year guarantee from Tayna Batteries for £98.99 delivered.

On removing the old battery 2 days ago, I realised that the previous owner had used a white grease to coat the terminals inside and out, which appeared to be the same grease that had been used on all of the door hinges.
I cleaned off all the old grease with propyl alcohol, greased the new battery terminals and the connectors with “Copper Ease” and installed the new battery, pd showed 13.6V with a very quick turn over - result. I put the old battery on standard charge and after 5 hours the meter showed it to be fully charged, strange as it had been almost flat according to the voltmeter.

Left off charge for 48 hours the pd across the old battery terminals showed as 13.3 Volts!

There had been no corrosion on the old battery terminals or the connectors.

Could it be that the white grease was a di-electric grease which whilst it would have protected against corrosion, had effectively been reducing the charging of the battery due to poor conductivity and reduced surface area contact at the terminals or perhaps only conductivity through any moisture in the old grease?

Very odd, but it appears that I am the proud owner of a 16-year-old OEM Volvo battery that is almost as good the new Yuasa
Hi, old battery voltage , you need to test under load, voltage may drop very fast ?
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 18:41   #2280
Cento16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento16v View Post
My steering rack helpfully decided the fluid was better off outside than in a couple of weeks ago so I've managed to get an actual brand new steering rack which is apparently a bit hard to get hold of! Wasn't cheap though!

New track rod ends and drop links as I've got to lower the subframe, 18 month old so it can't hurt.

Also have new front anti roll bar bushes and subframe bushes since its down.

Will be a fun Monday I'm sure 😂
Well, that was fun 😂

What a tw@t of a job that is, very little room for accessibility of bolts if you don't take the subframe out completely, which i didn't, just dropped it.

Old rack was shot, lots of free play up and down so it needed doing, must have been like it a while I think but showed no symptoms of failure.

Added subframe inserts to the bushes as well, which has stopped an annoying knock it had sometimes, which is an added bonus.

Steering feels lovely now, drives like a new car, which with the money I've spent on its suspension and steering, it bloody well should 😂
The Following User Says Thank You to Cento16v For This Useful Post: