Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust heat sheild

Views : 497

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 19:31   #1
thiscocks

Default Exhaust heat sheild

My V70 center section heat shield (the dimpled aluminium shield rearwards from the center muffler) is coming away from its bolts and has several tears in, creating wind noise. Aside from trying to get it more secure with service washers and the like does anyone know where to buy the heat shield from, or is it a trip to the local dealer? I imagine it wont be cheap from Volvo!

Last edited by thiscocks; Feb 21st, 2020 at 19:34.
thiscocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 21:29   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

A breakers yard possibly? Or there's threads on this forum where people are breaking cars & selling the parts to other Volvo owners. Alternatively, you could post in the "Parts Wanted" section of the forum & someone maybe able to point you in the right direction, or maybe even have a spare that they're looking to sell.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 21st, 2020 at 21:37.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:25   #3
thiscocks

Cheers, will try that. Just looked on a Volvo site and a new shield for the floor pan tunnel which I want is £170!
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 23:13   #4
ferg55

If you can't find a new one at a reasonable price, here's an idea to patch up your existing one: you could buy a sheet of aluminium mesh from Halfords (usually used for glass fiber repairs) and mold it over the original shield with your fingers, taking car to fold around all the edges, so as to form a second "skin". This should hold all the tears in place, and stop them getting worse. As you say, large washers to go over the enlarged bolt holes should work too. This is just off the top of my head, mind!

I may have to do this to mine, as I have a tell-tale fluttering from under my car too, but haven't had a look yet!

Last edited by ferg55; Feb 21st, 2020 at 23:16.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg55 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:29   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

These loosening heat shields are a PIA. The fixing holes corrode and enlarge.
Or the securing bolts into the floor pan corrode. Or both. There are only so many times that they can be re-affixed with increasingly larger washers. I’ve used araldite in the past to “glue” a replacement fixing bolt/screw to the floor pan together with large plain washers, with varying degrees of success. Are they really needed? In days gone by my previous cars didn’t have them.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 19:15   #6
thiscocks

Good idea with the mesh, may try that!

I think in the area mine is it won't be super hot (I'd not want to leave heatshield off around the cat) so would probably be ok without but I guess Volvo put it there for a reason...
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 21:13   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscocks View Post
My V70 center section heat shield (the dimpled aluminium shield rearwards from the center muffler) is coming away from its bolts and has several tears in, creating wind noise. Aside from trying to get it more secure with service washers and the like does anyone know where to buy the heat shield from, or is it a trip to the local dealer? I imagine it wont be cheap from Volvo!
Cant you repair the tears somehow? This material is very expensive where ever you buy it !
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 09:05   #8
thiscocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Cant you repair the tears somehow? This material is very expensive where ever you buy it !
Yes, I have got some stainless steel zip ties so will get it on a ramp soon and have a go!