Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of power up hill which continues

Views : 3628

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 20:31   #11
Safety

Default Similar issue

Coming home from the Alps. 2010 XC90 D5 R design. Intermittently losing power accelerating. Generic code reader came up with P2002. Dashboard says Engine Management System Service required. No warning light. Tried expensive French DPF cleaner. Sort of worked for a bit but 3 hours later problem still there. It’s possible I suppose that the fuel i put in this morning is dodgy? Any other suggestions welcome
Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 11:26   #12
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety View Post
Coming home from the Alps. 2010 XC90 D5 R design. Intermittently losing power accelerating. Generic code reader came up with P2002. Dashboard says Engine Management System Service required. No warning light. Tried expensive French DPF cleaner. Sort of worked for a bit but 3 hours later problem still there. It’s possible I suppose that the fuel i put in this morning is dodgy? Any other suggestions welcome
P2002 = Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold B1

Could be a partially blocked DPF
On a long drive on the motorway, as you likely did, the DPF should have been regenerating about 1x for every 1 to 2 tanks of fuel

If it did not regenerate, and has subsequently gotten partly blocked, check the following:
  • Are your DPF pressure sensors working properly? The DPF blocked message comes from the pressure sensors, so they must be putting out a signal. But is it correct for the engine state?
  • What does VIDA say about engine performance? Use VIDA, not a generic reader. Check historical fault codes, check engine running values are nominal. Especially everything to do with fuel/air mix, and temperatures and pressures.
  • Are you consuming (burning) oil? if so, this may cause the DPF to block sooner than expected due to oil in the exhaust gasses. Check oil consumption. Fixing oil consumption is of course a larger job (turbo oil seals or piston rings...)
  • Are you running super rich due to inlet manifold cracks/leaks)? Super rich causes much more soot, and causes the DPF to fill up much faster. Check charged air pipes and intercooler for leaks, a smoke test is best. Any leak will cause over fueling. Some leaks are cheap and easy to fix, some such as intercooler, take more effort. But better than a blown engine
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote