Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual handbrake adjusters

Views : 1213

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:23   #1
05XC90

Default Manual handbrake adjusters

Going to get the rear adjusters converted to manual to get a better handbrake. Have seen a few different ones on ebay with different prices.
Are they all much the same, or any better / to avoid??

such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-VOLVO....c100167.m2940

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-VOLV...IAAOSwJclZpx9g
05XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 13:58   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

Those are aftermarket so quality is not assured. The S60/S80/V70 has the adjusters, which fit, so I went for genuine V70 adjusters.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 16:29   #3
staffy460

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05XC90 View Post
Going to get the rear adjusters converted to manual to get a better handbrake. Have seen a few different ones on ebay with different prices.
Are they all much the same, or any better / to avoid??

such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-VOLVO....c100167.m2940

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-VOLV...IAAOSwJclZpx9g
they will be fine fitted them to mine nothing really to go wrong
staffy460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 17:14   #4
05XC90

Cheers dudes, much of a muchness then? The silver ones being dearer and shinier looked better quality lol
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:22   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

They are essentially just a nut and bolt so it's less likely that an aftermarket part would be unsatisfactory.

FYI the current system is manual adjustment - it's just down down the cable not "in drum" (unless you have a very early 2003/2004 car without the parking brake pedal modification).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 19:47   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I had my handbrake renewed 2 years ago: new discs/drums and pads. It held OK, but over 2 years the pads wore in and I was down to maximum clicks (is it 6 or 8?) and it wasn't holding the car on a moderate slope. I even regularly used it when driving to keep it rust free.

Today the car was serviced and I got them to tighten the handbrake cable.
The foot pedal is much stiffer.
The car now holds well at 2 clicks, and solid at 3 on a flat road.

On a 17% gradient (the steepest street in the town I live in, even has a sign proudly stating 17%!) the car holds solidly on about 5 clicks, even with the motor idling in gear trying to drive the car down the hill.
Our MOT here in Switzerland requires that the handbrake works on a 18% gradient, and thus my test street is perfect for checking MOT compliance
18% is jolly steep!

PS for those of you who want to know: a basic service, with oil, oil & air & cabin filter change, battery test, handbrake adjustment and inspection, car wash and refill of fluids (at whopping fluid rates!) here in Switzerland cost 430 GBP.
It includes an all-of-Europe Mobility insurance for the next 12 months, which is actually valuable.

The dealer called it a "small" service.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 20:44   #7
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Yeah Swiss - we all feel for you - but, relative national wealth - affects "cost of living" - affects salaries - affects costs for getting stuff done at the dealer/indie

Supply and demand...

How many hours did you have to work, to pay for the service?? (OK, I know you are a "techie" (I used to be...) and earn loads, but you get the point...)

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 18:53   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
How many hours did you have to work, to pay for the service?? (OK, I know you are a "techie" (I used to be...) and earn loads, but you get the point...)
Well I'm not gonna publish my salary on the Internet... I'm smarter than that...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 19:50   #9
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

OK

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 09:59   #10
05XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
PS for those of you who want to know: a basic service, with oil, oil & air & cabin filter change, battery test, handbrake adjustment and inspection, car wash and refill of fluids (at whopping fluid rates!) here in Switzerland cost 430 GBP.
It includes an all-of-Europe Mobility insurance for the next 12 months, which is actually valuable.

The dealer called it a "small" service.
That is actually decent value! My XC90 came with full volvo history and I'd receipts for maybe 6years of servicing and mot prep at the dealer, I don't think any of them were under £700!

My handbrake held fine, but there was an imbalance between the wheels and it just about passed (16% I think) my mechanic had sorted this a couple of years ago and had it at 38% efficiency, this had dropped to 26% last year so I reckon it'll be tight this year. He'd said wasn't an easy fix and a couple of relatives with XC90s have both gone to manual adjusters after failing on the handbrake and said much better job.
Ordered a pair there so I'll get in done in next week or two and hopefully that and the annual service is all it needs this year!