Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Picking up a V70 tomorrow

Views : 1407

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 16:31   #11
Kev Ush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If you are going to be doing any work on this car and be chasing down faults, you might consider buying a VIDA/DiCE diagnostic on ebay to run on a laptop. The software runs under Win7 and does not need internet for your car. Even if you don't have a laptop, the kit plus a suitable old laptop plus a car charger for the laptop would set you back less than£100 for the identical kit used by Volvo dealers back in the day when your car was current, which for you it still is! The gear reads all the fault logs, test circuitry and reports the problems to you. It also has a parts diagram listing for all the parts relevant to your car which it can identify from the VIN. Your Volvo is an elderly computer on wheels and you need to approach it that way rather than seeing it as a purely electromechanical device.
So I’ve decided that even though the Snap On scanner works well with the Volvo and can do most things I’ll buy the Vida system. There are a few different ones available on eBay. Are some better than others?

Ordered all the belts and tensioners today plus arb bushes. Decided to go for genuine parts for these.

Also think the intercooler is buggered seems to be quite common. I was wondering though...instead of replacing it with a standard part to see if I could get something from the likes of a focus st or Focus RS. For the size I think the standard parts are similar sized but I’ve noticed quite often on eBay or Facebook market place some updated ones coming up at decent prices probably because they have wrapped the car around a tree and need to put it back to standard for the insurance to pay out. Mountings might be different but could soon make up new mounts. Only issue I can see is on one of them the inlet and outlet are 70mm according to the description. Think they’re 66mm on the V70...maybe the standard pipes would stretch over that?? And at least I’d have a better intercooler for around the same price as an aftermarket one(slightly bigger, cast end caps and welded together)
Kev Ush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 16:57   #12
Boatie
Master Member

Kev,
I've got a Chinese Vida that has never been used. I couldn't get it to work but honestly I'm sure that was down to my not knowing what to do to set it up Note, I no longer have a laptop running Win 7 so you would be on your own there. I've also got a brand new (still in Volvo packaging) set of pull up nets that clip onto the back of the rear seats. Note, I have NOT got the blocks that they clip onto. Everything has been stored in a spare bedroom not a shed/garage. You're welcome to both at postage cost only. No idea how much that would be. If you don't want them and anyone else does they're welcome. It may take a week or so to sort out.

Frank
ex 2011 V70 SE Lux
Soon to be ex 2017 V90 D4 (getting an R Design)

Just googled where Huntly is. Picking up is a non starter!!!!!

Last edited by Boatie; Feb 20th, 2020 at 17:01.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 17:39   #13
Kev Ush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Kev,
I've got a Chinese Vida that has never been used. I couldn't get it to work but honestly I'm sure that was down to my not knowing what to do to set it up Note, I no longer have a laptop running Win 7 so you would be on your own there. I've also got a brand new (still in Volvo packaging) set of pull up nets that clip onto the back of the rear seats. Note, I have NOT got the blocks that they clip onto. Everything has been stored in a spare bedroom not a shed/garage. You're welcome to both at postage cost only. No idea how much that would be. If you don't want them and anyone else does they're welcome. It may take a week or so to sort out.

Frank
ex 2011 V70 SE Lux
Soon to be ex 2017 V90 D4 (getting an R Design)

Just googled where Huntly is. Picking up is a non starter!!!!!
Hi Frank,

That would be awesome. Was looking for some nets on eBay yesterday actually. Didn’t buy any as I wanted to make sure everything was sorted on this V70 before spending on those sort of things. More than happy to cover cost and give you something for them. I’ll give that Vida a try to. Got a few old laptops laying about somewhere to try it out with.

Yep unfortunately Huntly is miles away from everywhere.

Not bothered about how long it takes to get posted...not in a rush.

But let me know what would be the easiest for you for payment and postage. I’ve got PayPal or can do a bank transfer. I can even organise a courier to pick it up but sometimes that can be an inconvenience as you’d have to wait around for it...it’s usually an inconvenience for me anyway because of where I am my pick up slots are between 8am and 6pm

Cheers,

Kev
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 17:45   #14
Kev Ush

Oh does anyone know if there are any decent options for retrofitting a Bluetooth hands free thingy. My stereo doesn’t have a phone button it has a “my key” button. Is it even possible or will I have to go down the route of a parrot?

Thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 17:54   #15
Kev Ush

Frank...I’ve just been out to the Volvo and just noticed it’s got nets. I didn’t see them before as the little pull things were tucked away. I appreciate the offer anyway.

So if anyone else wants to take Frank up on his kind offer then feel free.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 19:25   #16
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Ush View Post
Frank...I’ve just been out to the Volvo and just noticed it’s got nets. I didn’t see them before as the little pull things were tucked away. I appreciate the offer anyway.

So if anyone else wants to take Frank up on his kind offer then feel free.
Fine. If you can message me an address I'll pack up the Vida and pop it in the post.
Can't do anything for a week or ten days but I assure you I will send it off.

If anyone reading this wants the nets just let me know

Frank
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:53   #17
Tatsfield
Premier Member

VIDA runs under Win 7 but you don't need a Win 7 laptop. If you already have a laptop running a later Windows edition, you can download the free Oracle app VM VirtualBox which will allow you to run VIDA in a virtual Win 7 environment. It's a reputable software company with a reliable app. Personally I bought an old laptop, a ThinkPad built like a brick outhouse, so that I could have a dedicated knock about piece of kit for the Volvo.