Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motorway driving/Cleaning DPF

Views : 3444

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 15:47   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Really? What other circumstances does the system trigger a regen, without motorway driving?

So 50mph or so on a long steady run is okay & there’s no need to drop a gear?
No need to do anything , it takes care of itself ... The driver does not need to know anything for obvious reasons ..

The engine needs to be fully warmed up , The reading from the DPF pressure sensor needs to suggest that the pressure in the DPF is higher than a certain threshold , the journey you are on is suitable .. ie. not just going from stop and start and stop etc .. If you have been doing 50 + mph for a while it will happen , if you have to stop it will carry on where it left off next time ..
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 20:44   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No need to do anything , it takes care of itself ... The driver does not need to know anything for obvious reasons ..

The engine needs to be fully warmed up , The reading from the DPF pressure sensor needs to suggest that the pressure in the DPF is higher than a certain threshold , the journey you are on is suitable .. ie. not just going from stop and start and stop etc .. If you have been doing 50 + mph for a while it will happen , if you have to stop it will carry on where it left off next time ..
Thanks for your response. I didn't get chance to go on the motorway, or a higher speed drive this weekend. I'll give it a try next weekend, hopefully.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 15:36   #13
IJMOK

Having lived with a DPF for the last 5 years, my experience leads me to believe its honestly something that is easy to over think.
When I first accrued a D5 with DPF I thought it would be helpful if there was some kind of indication the car was in regen, however its almost never been an issue.

I’ve only once seen the DPF tell me it needs to be cleaned, and that was after 2 weeks off work going no further than 2 or 3 miles, and allowing it to cool in between.

My current commute is 9 miles, most of it stop start with one small section of 50mph running and that has kept it happy ever since.

I’ve read somewhere that trying the “Italian tune-up” technique can make it worse, as that tends to push more soot out into the DPF.

If you watch the instant MPG you might notice when its in regen, but if you’re not seeing a message, its working as planned and you don’t need to adjust you driving habits/style.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IJMOK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 15:53   #14
Tatsfield
Premier Member

+1
This XC70 is my first car ever with a DPF and I have never thought about it in the 5 or so years I've had it. I drive a very mixed usage; 1-3 mile shopping trips on some days and nothing more and then from time to time 200 -300 mile non stop journeys. When it regenerates I don't, know. I never look and don't notice the mpg. The DPF does not require servicing and there is no eolys fluid to worry about. All in all it's a miracle of engineering and I only think about it when reading DPF threads on the forum!
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 18:40   #15
apersson850
Premier Member

Car's with automatic engine stop when coming to a standstill are easier to check for regeneration. The start/stop function will pause when regeneration is ongoing. You can see the notice in the display.
On all cars you'll notice that the fuel consumption doesn't reach zero when coasting with the accelerator fully up.

A regeneration cycle typically lasts about 30 km.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 16:20   #16
october37

I am sure that Volvo recommend getting the temp to normal and then a run
for at least 20 minutes at not less than 40mph.
That's not as easy as it seems in todays heavy traffic, so Motorways are the best option.

2010 XC70 D5 SE LUX.
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 17:20   #17
TonyB65

I've done over 20K in my V70 D5 Geartronic, it had 95K on the clock when I bought it. For most of that I did a 25 mile commute, mostly rural roads and then several miles of heavy traffic. The DPF has never given me a problem. I can hear when it's regenerating, it can start at very low speeds and if I park up it will continue when I drive it again. I'm now doing an 84 mile round commute, mostly motorway, I usually cruise at 73mph, it works just the same. I was a bit worried about it having a DPF but it's been absolutely fine, so don't sweat it, just drive it and enjoy it.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 19:44   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB65 View Post
I've done over 20K in my V70 D5 Geartronic, it had 95K on the clock when I bought it. For most of that I did a 25 mile commute, mostly rural roads and then several miles of heavy traffic. The DPF has never given me a problem. I can hear when it's regenerating, it can start at very low speeds and if I park up it will continue when I drive it again. I'm now doing an 84 mile round commute, mostly motorway, I usually cruise at 73mph, it works just the same. I was a bit worried about it having a DPF but it's been absolutely fine, so don't sweat it, just drive it and enjoy it.
What can you hear exactly?
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 20:52   #19
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I don’t do many motorway miles, so I think a bit of a motorway spin say once a month would help?
Regarding timing and frequency of regens: I did the math once and calculated that a regen occurs at around 1 to 2 tanks of fuel
If you average that to 1.5, then compare to your driving habits and time, you can get a ROUGH estimate of how often a regen will need to occur.

And then you adapt your habits to ensure that you have a regen-capable drive occurring once every 1 to 2 tanks of fuel
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:06   #20
apersson850
Premier Member

As I do a 30 km stint from home to work, and the opposite, every working day, I have good conditions. Most of this driving is at or above 100 km/h.

I'm an ideal diesel owner, and have not had a single issue with the particle filter over nine years and 300000 km.

A traffic jam is a major tourist attraction over here.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote