Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine mount swap on 5-speed 1979 245 - done!

Views : 522

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2015, 11:07   #1
mylittletony
Master Member

Default Engine mount swap on 5-speed 1979 245 - done!

Hi all

Just a quick info post for anyone else doing the same.

I had a friend fit an M47 5-speed to my car end of last year and there has since been a heavy knocking under load, the engine & box mounts were pretty sh@gged.

I fitted Classic Swede's black/'soft' polyurethane mounts last week (all by myself in under 2hrs - pat on the back! ...although the 4-post lift was handy!!)
To make the gearbox mount fit it needed the bracket lip removing and one stud shortening by ~10mm. Was also a real git to reassemble - needed to pass the long gearbox bolts through the bracket, attach the mount & tighten then reattach to the gearbox, then reattach crossmember.

NS engine mount next which was removed with both brackets and reassembled on the bench. Slightly fiddly to align everything, but pretty straightforward.

OS engine mount last, I was pressed for time and knew this had the tightest access. From underneath, the nut onto the top bracket is easily accessed, as are the lower bracket nuts. Removed the mount with the lower bracket, strip & reassembled, replaced very easily. By far the easiest mount, no oil filter removal required.

After this I discovered the gearbox was hard against the tunnel, which made driving truly unpleasant.

A bit of reading up revealed that some early 5-speed cars came fitted with a spacer between the transmission crossmember and chassis. I knocked up some spacers from some scrap 8mm ally plate from work, 30mm wide and 100mm long, with 2 holes 70mm apart and diameter 12 to clear the M10 bolts.

Fitted these on Saturday and the buzz box sensation has now disappeared, no knocking either. There is a mild increase in noise/vibration over the old mounts, but I believe they'll 'bed-in' a bit.

All-in-all a success after some head scratching.

Hope that helps
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mylittletony For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2015, 14:35   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Any photos?

The noise does die down after a couple of hundred miles
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 14:53   #3
mylittletony
Master Member

No, no photos yet as I was flying through it with filthy mitts so didn't want to get the phone out.

I should be able to get some tomorrow
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mylittletony For This Useful Post: