Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ignition question

Views : 732

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2015, 15:39   #1
Volvodrivingbiker

Default ignition question

Ok to the guys who know about ignition systems.
If I was to remove the fuel injection system from my B200f motor to fit twin choke webers would the ignition need altering? As the maf sensor would no longer be a part of the set up.
Because as far as I'm aware that the maf sensor sends a
Signal to the fueling not the ignition.

Think Bike !
Volvodrivingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 16:30   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodrivingbiker View Post
Ok to the guys who know about ignition systems.
If I was to remove the fuel injection system from my B200f motor to fit twin choke webers would the ignition need altering? As the maf sensor would no longer be a part of the set up.
Because as far as I'm aware that the maf sensor sends a
Signal to the fueling not the ignition.
The flywheel sensor runs the ignition which is separate to the Jetronic fuel system . So that should work as normal . However , I can see no advantage in carburettors except drivability and fuel consumption issues , most people would kill to have fuel injection rather than carbs :-) It should be better in all ways .
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 22:23   #3
heckflosse
Premier Member

Agree about the Fuel injection, except for one thing- complexity.
I have been struggling for ages to swap the LH2.4 system from a 940 onto a 230KH engine in a 260 shell, but got bogged down with wires and ECUs.
The dream of a de-smogged electronically injected engine turned sour.
If it is a pain to get going, how can it ever be reliable? Or roadside fixable?

So, a nice simple single DVG and the electronic ignition from a B230a now reside where the pipes and wires used to.
in answer to the original post, you could fit the earlier distributor and powerstage. That does away with ECUs and any flywheel pickup woes.The 200F has a pretty dull cam in it so that might be worth heave- ho'ing too.
Think simple!
And good luck with it.
James.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 23:15   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I asume the webber conversion is for power. You can get the same results with throttle bodies and programmable fuel injection. It is more complex to fit and needs setting up right but should be better for a daily driver.

You can use the ignition system as is but is not ideal and does still have some possible problems. You could convert to the system off the K jet 240 with a hall sensor dizzy and very simple wiring. Both ways give you a some what off ideal ignition map.

A simple to fit option (but expensive) is the 123 tune distributor that will plug in and offer fairly simple mapping options. Your other option that involves some fabrication and wiring up would a megajolt system. The megajolt is cheaper but will take a lot more time to install
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2015, 13:42   #5
Volvodrivingbiker

cheers guys I can see what your saying about fuel injection the car came with being better solution but what bothers me is I like to fiddle about and can pretty much fix the whole car except fueling .
this does bother as I'm quite happy setting carbs up all day long ( old bugger dont like computers )
so I've acquired a set of 4 Bike carbs not weber's I can see ignition shouldn't be a big issue although I am thinking of different cam first off .
I did follow a lad up on a K cam but alas he let it go or didn't have them to start with .
quick question while I'm talking cams will 2.3 cams fit ? are the heads the same dimensions as 2.0 what cams are best as there seem to be lots of different lift's and timings .
my thoughts are cams first carbs next but I will be doing it in such a way as can be put back again

Think Bike !
Volvodrivingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 13:59   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The warmer cams are the D, V, VX, K and the best bet rare H cam. They are still fairly mild but aftermarket grinds are available.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: