Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with part ID please

Views : 846

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2015, 19:28   #1
BillKat

Default Help with part ID please

Hi all,
I could do with help in id'ing a couple of bits -

I've stripped out most of the pulsair gear and blanked off stubs & pipes etc, but what's this part do ? On the left inner wing shock tower area. Has one air tube going off to the manifold-

This plastic junction piece on a tube coming off the airbox, it lives tucked in a space in the manifold by the bulkhead - seems a chunk with a stub broke off and someone siliconed in a small-bore pipe, and poked that into the chopped rubber tube that went to the AWOL stub.
Could do with a replacement but no idea what it's called -

cheers.
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 19:44   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The top photo is a MAP sensor

the second one I'm not sure, could do with a better photo with a little more surrounding it
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 20:31   #3
BillKat

Cheers, do I need the sensor? Should have said, '88 carb 2.3 engine, I got a Haynes but can't see any mention of that part. EGR etc is removed.

Here's a hopefully better pic, a junction for these hoses, don't know what to call it when parts hunting-
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 19:49   #4
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Yeah you need the the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor, it's a transducer for your electronic ignition system, nothing to do with the EGR spaghetti.

I reckon the other pipe is coming off the PCV vacuum, it should go into the side of your carb.

Cheers,

Cap
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 20:18   #5
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi...that second picture is the flame trap/crankcase ventilation filter under that top cap.I have the same..Whether it improves the performance of the spec by sealing off i have no idea..Some say the erg and pulsair system it is not required and should be binned but they are witch burners and full of superstition and fear..and few truly understand it..(myself included)..Then the people with black teeth and poor healthcare screamed!!..SHE HAS THE MARK!!...A SOLEX CISAC!!..but they were wrong as the car started and went about its buisness as usual..The end..(music and stuff)..I"m not really helping am i but you should get some replies now..with a good heart,hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 21:03   #6
BillKat

Cheer Cap, I'll leave that be.
HJ, ta, I can hunt a new one now, my one's shot to bits.

Sensors, EGR, blimey. I'm a simpleton coming from old bikes & Amazons, thought going carb would be fairly familiar territory. Not sure if the whistling sound is all this sensor malarkey flying past my head or a vacuum leak...

Looks like the Cisac isn't popular, or served by spares & kits etc? fingers crossed it keeps working a while yet..

Cheers all
The Following User Says Thank You to BillKat For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 23:56   #7
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi..Back from another pub!..feeling drunk and yet sensible..yes the cisac is not popular and many do bin it and change for something else but i will not lie to you.My old Dl has never ever not got me to where i need to be and it was never the system but something like alternator etc..kits and parts are rare if not impossible as you say..I will drive it until it becomes an issue then i will cross that bridge...big fan of the solex..inspections welcome..Wish you well and keep us posted on your progress...hj.

Last edited by honestjoe; May 1st, 2015 at 00:12. Reason: it was not me it was the gargle!
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 11:48   #8
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

I would point out that the MAP sensor should have a vacuum tube connected to it to work!
Old May 1st, 2015, 19:46   #9
BillKat

It's there Cap'n, it's tucked behind the wires in the pic.
Cheers HJ, I won't change till something terminal happens. My everyday drive so got to keep on keeping on.. might keep a beady eye out for spares or s/h ones to cannibalise I suppose.