Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cam approved option for new Volvo?

Views : 30517

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2020, 16:09   #101
destone

I highly recommend the Blackvue DR590W-2CH which currently retails for £243.79 on Amazon UK.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 17:52   #102
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotka View Post
they are not playing ball for a reason. If there's a serious crash because of the Intelllisense failure or inteference, who do you think will be asked about the dashcam?
I call bull from the dealer. If that’s true why did my dealer fit it? They also weren’t the only one, the other dealer round here (big chain rather than single entity) were happy enough to do it they just didn’t get the sale as they couldn’t get near the carwow price where as the single entity, family owned, dealer slightly further away could.

In my experience a lot of dealers just want to take lots of money for the run of the mill stuff and cba dealing with complications even to the level of issues with fault finding. Unless they can give you a reasonable answer I’d find a better dealer.

I may be wrong but has Volvo HQ actually stated it’s “dangerous”, I would wonder how a number of people in the USA (swede speed forums) got dealers to fit them in a famously litigious country.

In addition I suspect any criticism pointed at them could be answered by “intellisafe is an assistive system and you are the driver responsible - any crash is your fault unless proven otherwise”. Just like if pilot assist goes haywire and causes a crash (mine tried to steer me into the side of a lorry on the motorway a month or so after I got the car due to roadworks and multiple lane markers - it disengaged and sent the car straight rather than round the turn which was easily corrected but had I not been paying attention could have been unfortunate).

As an aside - I’m not sure I’d recommend the VIOFO: it’s proven to be a little unreliable although I’m hoping the newest firmware will help. I not that Ashley Neal from YouTube (driving instructor who does videos covering various driving issues) has a similar opinion on VIOFO.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 19:56   #103
destone

In my experience, each dealership is ran as a franchise, and their offered services vary widely. For example, in the Culver City dealership (California) I could purchase OEM accessories 40% off the list price through a separate website they operate. I suppose it comes down to the comfort-level of the operator as to what add-on services they want to offer beyond the basics mandated by the franchise agreement.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 16:26   #104
Cynical

When we bought our X60 Inscription Pro D5 AWD 5 months ago we asked the dealership salesman about having front & rear dashcams fitted and they told us that none had been approved for the model but one was due out in May, a Nextbase.

I think the salesman may have been a little economical with the truth at that point. Who would have thought it.....
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 10:44   #105
JohnnyNapalm

I wanted something that would be less intrusive and look factory fitted so I went for an 'OE Witness' system for my XC90 which should be with me next week. I opted for the perminant powered loom which cost £30 but the have a 15% discount on at the moment which is code 'sun15'. You can get direct from them here;

https://oewitness.com/brand/volvo/

Cheers.
JohnnyNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 17:09   #106
ijkgenesis

I have had the OE Witness camera in my XC40 for 9 months. very pleased with the system although the rear camera affects the DAB radio (using compressor too) on some channels.
ijkgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 09:10   #107
JohnnyNapalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijkgenesis View Post
I have had the OE Witness camera in my XC40 for 9 months. very pleased with the system although the rear camera affects the DAB radio (using compressor too) on some channels.
Just installed it yesterday and it certainly doesn't look like an aftermarket add on. I will try to get some pictures up later so people can judge for themselves. I need to review it to check quality of image but it is stated as 4K so should be fine but need to see night time image. Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyNapalm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 10:14   #108
JohnnyNapalm

Pictures of installed unit. I am pleased with the end result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (361.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers Side.jpg (162.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Side.jpg (194.8 KB, 91 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyNapalm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 11:39   #109
Jupiterman

I'm considering having a cam fitted after Delivery Van Man overtook my wife as she was turning right (on double white lines) taking out her front drivers side wing and wheel. First thing insurance company asked for, do you have dashcam evidence? Without it, it was his word against hers. So I've been to my local Volvo dealer to see about fitting a cam to my 2019 S60. They, Volvo, now fit the Roadhawk DC4. £300 fitted. Seen comments on forums saying you can get interference with radio and internet signals. Anybody gone down the DC 4 route yet???
Jupiterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 16:19   #110
Dkimbley
David G K

Why can't the 360 cameras be utilised as dashcams? If they can't why doesn't Volvo create dashcams as they are a safety item, which is Volvo's no 1 priority?
Dkimbley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dkimbley For This Useful Post: