Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your opinions - XC90 2015 trade in or extend?

Views : 4258

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2020, 16:20   #51
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
I run an XC90 Inscription and have worked out, that it costs me around £8k in depreciation and swapping costs per annum to do so. That's if I change it every 4 yrs.

I really do look after it and it will be utterly immaculate when I change it, I would also load it up with an Extended Warranty, for as long as I can get when I come to sell it on. Why do I do the extended warranty?

Well, having a good vehicle warranty puts me ahead of other private sellers who are without one. Of course, it's of ZERO VALUE to a Volvo Dealership.

I will be selling it on myself using Autotrader and my competition on there will be other Volvo dealers as well as private sellers. I find the creation of my own advert on there to be relatively straightforward as one can generally plagiarise the advert wording for one's own vehicle from the wordings of similar other ones on there. My car will have everything needed to halp make it a really good deal for someone and i will also get a good price. A better price than part exchange too. When I buy, i am a completely independent cash buyer and will travel to get the best deal possible from a Volvo dealer.

So for me, it's all about, "How much does it cost to swap? and "How much does it cost me to run a new car for 4 yrs?" These questions are pretty much identical when you do the proper calculations.

Hope that helps you crystallise and sort out your own thoughts and plans on this important purchase.
Goes to show how close the different funding options are when you look at the costs overall. Don’t know what model or options you have, but that’s certainly very similar to a 48 month lease cost, (which also includes RFL).

(Not saying one route is better than another, down to personal attitude to risk, opportunity cost of the cash etc)
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 17:10   #52
hrp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
I run an XC90 Inscription and have worked out, that it costs me around £8k in depreciation and swapping costs per annum to do so. That's if I change it every 4 yrs.

I really do look after it and it will be utterly immaculate when I change it, I would also load it up with an Extended Warranty, for as long as I can get when I come to sell it on. Why do I do the extended warranty?

Well, having a good vehicle warranty puts me ahead of other private sellers who are without one. Of course, it's of ZERO VALUE to a Volvo Dealership.

I will be selling it on myself using Autotrader and my competition on there will be other Volvo dealers as well as private sellers. I find the creation of my own advert on there to be relatively straightforward as one can generally plagiarise the advert wording for one's own vehicle from the wordings of similar other ones on there. My car will have everything needed to halp make it a really good deal for someone and i will also get a good price. A better price than part exchange too. When I buy, i am a completely independent cash buyer and will travel to get the best deal possible from a Volvo dealer.

So for me, it's all about, "How much does it cost to swap? and "How much does it cost me to run a new car for 4 yrs?" These questions are pretty much identical when you do the proper calculations.

Hope that helps you crystallise and sort out your own thoughts and plans on this important purchase.
Hi thanks, yes your calculations are very similar to what I came out with over 4 years - about £670 per month on average.

However the only caveat I would add is that having sold cars via Autotrader myself, there are so many time wasters - and it can take you some time to sell it. If you have a good car though then I agree that you will almost always get a better price... if you can deal with the hassle of time wasters, viewings and calls etc.

Thanks
hrp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hrp123 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 17:16   #53
soupytwister
Master Member

Depends on how much you shop around. This Inscription one works out at £7k/year on a personal lease and you're not paying interest on finance on top if you're using a bank loan to fund it a cash purchase (or losing interest on your money in a bank account, although not much these days!).

If you can get the £599 3-year maintenance on top, then comes out in the wash as a bit less than buying. Plus absolutely zero hassle at the end of the term and just hand it back.

Equally, if the government were to step in and heavily tax diesels or petrols in the coming 4 years, that may impact 2nd hand values. No risk at all with a lease.

Horses for courses I admit.....

Below is from Stoneacre.

Volvo XC90 Estate
2.0 B5P [250] Inscription 5dr AWD Gtron
Initial Rental:
1 Months
Term:
48 Months
Mileage:
10,000 p/a
Transmission:
Automatic
Fuel Type:
Petrol
Road Tax:
Fully Included
Maintenance:
None
Finance Type:
Personal Contract Hire
£585.54p/m
Initial Rental:
£585.54
Additional Fees:
£0.00
Total Lease Cost:
£28,105.92
All prices inc. VAT
Leasing.com value rating: What's this?

Last edited by soupytwister; Sep 29th, 2020 at 17:21.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 13:07   #54
WARBO

It would have to be said that a newer model is going to have a lot of improved and more reliable parts from ongoing modifications than the early version. An early car needs good warranty cover, as you said a door lock went...£400 ish? warranty is insurance at the end of the day and if keeping the car some big bills will likely come along sooner or later, i guess it comes down to your glass half full/empty approach to life!
WARBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 13:31   #55
hrp123

Default An update

Well I decided to trade in my 65 plate XC90 D5 Momentum £23K with 32K miles for a 67 plate 18 model year Momentum Pro £32K with 11K miles.

Key differences

The new car has air suspension. It definitely rides smoother than the old car, and the function of lowering the car when you park is helpful for people with kids or mobility issues.

The engine of the newer car feels smoother than my old one with better gear changes and less engine noise. In general I feel there is less road noise from the newer car.

It may be my imagination but I feel the general fit is better, softer door closers etc.

I'm hoping this car with the 1 year Selekt + a 2 year additional warranty extension for £850 will keep us going a while... until electric cars and the charging infrastructure has made more leaps forward.

It also came with the media server and Ipad cradles - both of which are expensive options but old tech now.

My other car is a Tesla Model 3, which is great as a daily driver but not for long haul trips in my personal opinion.
hrp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hrp123 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 21:10   #56
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Thanks for the update. Enjoy the car.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 13:20   #57
ma94jcg

Thought I'd add our experience of trading up yesterday..

Out: XC90 MY16 D5 Inscription with 39,000 miles - traded in for £25k (had quite a bit of minor cosmetic damage)

In: brand new (in stock unregistered) XC90 T8 R-design in Onyx black with climate pack, lounge pack, driver assist, smartphone integration, retractable towbar, type 2 cable, 5 year servicing, PDI and all the insurance covers - £60k with half through 0% finance over 3 years (including £4k volvo contribution)

Whilst it was an event, looks like the (up to) £4k contribution and 0% finance might be an offer across the board for deliveries before Christmas
ma94jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma94jcg For This Useful Post: