Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 822436

Replies : 6257

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:35   #61
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
That car is totally rusted out crap! If I remember from a long time ago the seller is a banger-racer, and perhaps the lockdown won't allow him his corrupt "pleasure" of destroying it for pleasure. Therefore just looking for a sucker.

P
Ah, that is interesting, and makes some sense. The cam having been removed (I have no idea whether it is included in the sale or not) makes it useless for banger racing (at least without a bit of money spent on parts to get it going again). I'm guessing he bought it for £100 from the garage when the owner didn't want to pay for the oil leak to be fixed, it has been sat at his lock up while the banger racing has been closed by coronavirus, it isn't worth finding a cam to get it going so he thought he would unload it as a nearly 40 year old classic car for restoration.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:41   #62
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

At the asking price, I think it is best seen as a very expensive source of spare parts, Alan.

While I'm inclined to agree with your assessment, I also think that it would be a shame for it to be irrevocably scrapped. After all, when it's gone, it's gone. I would much prefer to see it used to keep similar cars in preservation in the hands of enthusiasts like yourself on the road. As such, while I feel an asking price of a few hundred pounds would be more realistic, you'd have to want it very badly to pay the sort of money requested!

Where I completely agree with you is that age alone should not justify such amounts. In marketing jargon, such a car would also require a very compelling USP to merit the price asked.

Regards, John.

PS - When I typed this I had not seen 'Triple-S's response. J.

Last edited by john.wigley; Sep 27th, 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Add PS
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:48   #63
Triple-S
How Old?

The guy I reluctantly sold my totally rusted out 240 estate to (rear springs through the floor!) rips the Volvo engine out and fits his own race-tuned Ford V6 engine in its own purpose-made cradle, and straight onto the existing 240 gearbox.
I was allowed to gather all the lights and engine ancilliaries before he came and took it away - and still paid me a bit for it! A decent guy - he bought my very rusty 164 too: might reluctantly have to ask him if he wants my former spares-Volvo 740 estate too, as nobody will give me his price for it - engine and all. Just a shame to waste all those straight panels and glass.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 13:24   #64
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That car is totally rusted out crap! If I remember from a long time ago the seller is a banger-racer, and perhaps the lockdown won't allow him his corrupt "pleasure" of destroying it for pleasure. Therefore just looking for a sucker.

P
I think you've actually hit the nail on the head but a slightly different nail :

Date tested 9 June 2020
Fail
View test certificate
Mileage 94,496 miles
MOT test number 6699 2358 4134
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):

Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))
Oil leaking excessively from engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive (8.2.1.2 (b))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread front and rear (0.1 (b))
hole in boot floor
Front Headlamp has a product on the lens but not seriously reducing light output both sides (4.1.4 (b))

Assume for a moment you are a banger-racer and have bought this prized beast to race. You find a hole in the boot floor, seriously compromising the cars strength. Not only could the car be out on the first lap as a result but so could you - permanently!

Factor in that it's a non-runner (he probably thought he could get it running easily) and you have a recipe for disaster on the track and the wallet. Would cost too much just to get it to the start line, never mind over the finish line on the track - assuming it lasted for the full race of course!

Given the timings, i suspect the original owner decided to give up driving (he's had the car 38 years ish and probably bought on or near retirement age) and didn't want to pay for the oil leak to be repaired. As such he probably told the garage to sell it for whatever labour charges it owed them and hung up his driving gloves.

With that in mind, i'd suggest matey bought it thinking he could fix it and flip it then found it was too much work so decided to chance his arm with a ridiculously high price.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 13:34   #65
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The guy I reluctantly sold my totally rusted out 240 estate to (rear springs through the floor!) rips the Volvo engine out and fits his own race-tuned Ford V6 engine in its own purpose-made cradle, and straight onto the existing 240 gearbox.
I was allowed to gather all the lights and engine ancilliaries before he came and took it away - and still paid me a bit for it! A decent guy - he bought my very rusty 164 too: might reluctantly have to ask him if he wants my former spares-Volvo 740 estate too, as nobody will give me his price for it - engine and all. Just a shame to waste all those straight panels and glass.

P
I agree with you and John above. It is a pity that all these good spares go to waste in the banger racing arena.
If this car was a few hundred pounds and near enough to justify it I might consider buying it, stripping off everything usable (panels and all) and getting the local Romanian scrappy to collect the left over rusty bits - there would probably be enough there to keep the RB going for 20 years. At nearly 2 grand that would be a ridiculous thing to do.
The car itself isn't worth saving.

Alan
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 13:36   #66
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think you've actually hit the nail on the head but a slightly different nail :

Date tested 9 June 2020
Fail
View test certificate
Mileage 94,496 miles
MOT test number 6699 2358 4134
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):

Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))
Oil leaking excessively from engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive (8.2.1.2 (b))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread front and rear (0.1 (b))
hole in boot floor
Front Headlamp has a product on the lens but not seriously reducing light output both sides (4.1.4 (b))

Assume for a moment you are a banger-racer and have bought this prized beast to race. You find a hole in the boot floor, seriously compromising the cars strength. Not only could the car be out on the first lap as a result but so could you - permanently!

Factor in that it's a non-runner (he probably thought he could get it running easily) and you have a recipe for disaster on the track and the wallet. Would cost too much just to get it to the start line, never mind over the finish line on the track - assuming it lasted for the full race of course!

Given the timings, i suspect the original owner decided to give up driving (he's had the car 38 years ish and probably bought on or near retirement age) and didn't want to pay for the oil leak to be repaired. As such he probably told the garage to sell it for whatever labour charges it owed them and hung up his driving gloves.

With that in mind, i'd suggest matey bought it thinking he could fix it and flip it then found it was too much work so decided to chance his arm with a ridiculously high price.
Agreed Dave - I think that is the most likely scenario. I'd be really surprised if anyone needed it enough to pay nearly 2 grand, and the guy probably got it for £100 from the garage to cover the labour they had already spent stripping it down to find the leak.

Alan
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 10:09   #67
Roderick Plinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
The reason the prices are going up is because they are getting rarer cars now and dealers are beginning to take the **** with prices because of rarity.

this is mainly due to people breaking up cars especially older ones for a quick buck.
but these people don't realise there will be more parts to sell than there are cars to need the parts so eventually of to the dump with a lot of good useable parts all because of greed.

I'm all for a good reasonable price that keeps cars in circulation and out of the hands of breakers /banger boys it's better to keep the old ones going on the road or sold to somebody for a good restoration job so they can be enjoyed for the future, not just a few quid in parts because people cant be bothered to fix em.

How many older 244 or 245 cars have been scrapped for a quick buck or because the owner was too greedy or lazy??

3 or 4 grand seems reasonable for the torslander but not 8 just yet

you don't see people scrapping fords of the same era any more because they have a good market value and as a consequence a really good new parts supply, there is a good supply for parts for 200 and 100 seres cars but it seems old Volvo owners are just too tight to pay the prices which in fairness are comparable to other classic car parts prices.

I see it all the time " I want ££££££for it (over priced) but if I don't get it I will break it up" not sell it to someone for a lower price so they can keep it going/ restore it........Just Greedy if you ask me

I am in need of parts for my volvos (1971 164, 1975 245, 178 245, I saved the 1978 car from the crusher in a scrap yard in wales and it had some rare genuine Volvo accessories fitted to it too that would have been lost) but I always try to use new parts first this keeps new parts in demand and therefore not extortionate prices. you just need to shop around the web there's about 6 or 7 websites I do price checking on.

So don't break it up for parts keep it going and the second hand prices will steadily climb as it does with all classics and not jump because some greedy dealer is chancing his arm because of rarity.

if you do need the money sell the car to someone whole who will keep it going or restore it and thus keeping the values reasonable enough to afford but high enough to be a viable classic to keep on the road or restore it.

Rant over
Agree entirely!
Roderick Plinge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 10:18   #68
Roderick Plinge

Lovely P6 estate. I had a 3500 V8 saloon, my first classic car. Engine sublime. Another case of "wish I'd never sold it...!" Now I don't sell them, they just rack up which is a bit eye-watering when it comes to tax and insure them!
Roderick Plinge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 07:20   #69
Othen
Premier Member

Default Virgo wheels - seriously?

I saw this ad on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-GLT....c100290.m3507

... £300 for a set of pretty scabby Virgo wheels - surely that is a ridiculous price? Have I missed something or has the seller put the decimal point in the wrong place?

Alan
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 07:51   #70
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I saw this ad on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-GLT....c100290.m3507

... £300 for a set of pretty scabby Virgo wheels - surely that is a ridiculous price? Have I missed something or has the seller put the decimal point in the wrong place?

Alan
One of those wheels is scrap anyway! It's shown with a big dent in it but look closer at the pic and it looks like there is a crack forming. One of the other wheels (with a tyre on) looks like it has a minor dent but that might be my monitor.

Definitely not worth £300 for a set of 4 wheels IMHO, even if they were near perfect!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: