Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Introduction and Help!

Views : 355

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 10:00   #1
zaakk

Default Introduction and Help!

Hey all, just to say Hi and an immediate confession!

Main reason for me joining is that I am stuck with a 2011 1.6 DRIVe diesel that won't start, but I am eager to learn and perhaps help some in the future.

I'll post in a bit more detail later once I have seen what Vida has to say but basically here's where I'm at:

Car has been idle for about 9 months following a 'breakdown' of sorts where engine would just die. Left for a while it would restart but there was no rhyme or reason to the interval between cutting out and restarting. Fast forward and I had been using my Ford Focus as work has limited my time to look at S80 until the Cambelt broke (well inside Ford's 10 year, 150000 mile wetbelt recommendation).

So, trying to get the S80 back on the road, so far I have: Replaced DPF, replaced in tank fuel pump and fuel filter. Car will fire and run if I spray Easy Start in the air box but will die once it's gobbled it all up, with no response from the throttle. I've tried bleeding the fuel rail. When I crank the engine fuel does start to come through but will eventually stop. Engine does not even sound like it is trying to fire. All sounds like a starvation issue to me.

I had heard from a Volvo mechanic that there is a known issue with the fuel filter and to change it more frequently than normal but that's about as much as I know.

So, will post more later when Vida has had a look but in the meantime, any pointers gratefully received.

Alan B
zaakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 12:20   #2
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaakk View Post
I had heard from a Volvo mechanic that there is a known issue with the fuel filter and to change it more frequently than normal but that's about as much as I know.

Alan B
Looking at a fueling issue it would be very sensible to change the fuel filter to rule it out.

Ecoboost engines are not nicknamed Ecoboom without good reason... Sorry you have had to experience it yourself though.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 12:56   #3
zaakk

Thanks for reply.

I have changed fuel filter and looking inside it just now the is fuel inside it so maybe fuel starvation isn't the issue, maybe just needs a helping hand with easy start as it's been sitting for a while.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 13:54   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply.

I have changed fuel filter and looking inside it just now the is fuel inside it so maybe fuel starvation isn't the issue, maybe just needs a helping hand with easy start as it's been sitting for a while.
Have you got the genuine Volvo filter with the blue dot on top? This is a special high capacity one which is needed. Other non genuine filters will block prematurely.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 14:03   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply.

Have you got the genuine Volvo filter with the blue dot on top? This is a special high capacity one which is needed. Other non genuine filters will block prematurely.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 14:11   #6
zaakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Indeed I have.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 22:42   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Indeed I have.
well that's a few less problems you will have in the future at least :-)