Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1970 1800E Prop shaft advice sought!

Views : 1548

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2020, 16:48   #11
sleek lemur

Thanks Ron. That does make sense. I had avoided the vice for fee of deforming the shaft. Now I have the rear UJ off, it might be possible to to brace the open end in the vice.

And thank you, I have your driveshaft alignment diagram printed out for reference!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 17:51   #12
142 Guy
Master Member

Something to be aware of. This may only apply to the 140; but, I think it also applies to the 1800. When Volvo introduced the B20E, they increased the U joint and driveshaft size. In fact, there are 3 U joint sizes with yoke sizes of 2.75", 3.25" and 3.5". The only uncertainty is what your 1970 1800E received as 1970 appears to have been a transition year in the sizing so the 1800E might have received different sizes if the change was implemented part way through production. The 70 and 71 1800E appear to have the larger 2" driveshaft so should have received the larger U joints; but, that is not absolutely certain. Measure your U joint yoke diameter to make sure that you order the correct U joint. I also seem to recall that all three joints might not be the same size; but, its been 7 years since I fiddled with mine so just check to be sure.

I suggest having your bearings pressed in by someone with a hydraulic press. You can try it with a really large vice or a big truck ball joint press; but, it is easy to mess up.

Finally, given the condition of the one U joint it would probably be prudent to do all three U joints unless you know that the others have already been replaced.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Sep 6th, 2020 at 17:55.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 18:50   #13
sleek lemur

Thanks 142. Only the rear UJ is sticky, the other 2 seem fine. No movement and free-swivelling. Have ordered one from Brookhouse, which do have 2 different items, one for B20E and one for F.

No luck with the nut for the central bearing (basically my workbench isn't up to the job, the torque I'm applying is ripping the vice out of the cheap chipboard) , I'm going to have to go to my local engineering shop. I think half the issue is that the nut is so thin.

Groan....I suppose this is "character-building".
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 22:45   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

The good thing about Stillson/Pipe Wrenches is that once you have them correctly adjusted the holding force increases as you put more leverage on them. That minimises the chance of slippage. On the shaft, grip it as close as possible to the weld at the end. Best to have a bigger wrench than a smaller one that is been adjusted right out as it will be longer for more leverage.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 22:53   #15
sleek lemur

Thanks Derek, but nothing doing. Still stuck fast. Never known anything like it!
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 02:55   #16
c1800
Master Member

As Derek mentioned, use a proper penetrating oil over several days, and apply heat, even a propane torch will suffice.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 16:40   #17
sleek lemur

Default Look what I found!

Prop shaft split.jpg

Finally managed to split the shaft. All I needed was a decent vice on a decent bench in the end. I went to Mark Bradley at Spot On Tuning and it was off in a jiffy. Incidentally, Mark tuned my fuel injection and got it working really well. I recommend him. He's in Diss, Norfolk. 07526687575.

When I split the shaft, look what fell out of the tube! The old spring and cup washer.

Brookhouse supplied a UJ for the rear end. All three are the same, incidentally, and Brookhouse's unit came with a grease nipple. Which is nice.

Just awaiting new central bearing and then let's see what I notice when it's back on the car. That rear UJ was pretty-much locked solid, the carrier was v old and non-Volvo and the shaft UJs weren't aligned. So.…anticipation !
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 23:39   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

The spring and cup washer has me scratching my head. Do I know what it's for? Looks more like one from a hydraulic cylinder. Remind or enlighten me.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 03:00   #19
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The spring and cup washer has me scratching my head. Do I know what it's for? Looks more like one from a hydraulic cylinder. Remind or enlighten me.
Later models have a spring pushing against the donut and the mounting bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 20.08.16.png (160.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by c1800; Sep 8th, 2020 at 03:18.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 09:14   #20
sleek lemur

Yes, the rubber mounting for the centre bearing had obviously been changed in the past as it's a non Volvo part, so it seems that the person who did that stuck the Old spring and cup washer inside the prop tube. Weird. But still not as weird as what someone did with the brake light switch, which had been routed such that if the fuse failed no IGN systems of the car would function.

I guess that over the period of 49 years, there's a lot of time for odd things to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post: