Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust Support Bracket

Views : 733

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2020, 18:46   #1
steve1200gs

Default Exhaust Support Bracket

Dear All, could some kind person please post a picture of how the exhaust bracket in the picture below is attached to the Amazon please. I've tried all sorts of orientations with no success. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket-exhaust-amazon-67-70.jpg (19.1 KB, 7 views)
steve1200gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 20:14   #2
powen1

try this web site good info Page 112-113 you need
https://www.gcp.se/en/catalogues/model/amazon-en/
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 20:46   #3
steve1200gs

Thank you, sadly it doesn't show how the bracket attaches to the car.
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 21:34   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1200gs View Post
Dear All, could some kind person please post a picture of how the exhaust bracket in the picture below is attached to the Amazon please. I've tried all sorts of orientations with no success. Thank you.
Hard to tell from the picture. Is that part # 672262 which is for the 67+ twin down pipe exhaust? If so, the bracket mounts horizontally and attaches with two bolts to the front face of the transmission (or is it back face of the bell housing - can't remember). There is a single bolt clamp for the exhaust pipe which connects to the hole on the end.

If that is part 663794 which is for the pre 1967 single downpipe then it mounts vertically with the single hole on the end 'up' and it probably bolts to the transmission or the back of the bell housing, definitely unsure about that! It uses an exhaust clamp that is U shaped.

Edit After looking at the photo a second time it definitely looks like the 67+ bracket which mounts horizontally. Part #9 in this photo

https://www.cvi-automotive.se/images.../0010018be.gif

Last edited by 142 Guy; Sep 6th, 2020 at 21:38.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 21:46   #5
steve1200gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Hard to tell from the picture. Is that part # 672262 which is for the 67+ twin down pipe exhaust? If so, the bracket mounts horizontally and attaches with two bolts to the front face of the transmission (or is it back face of the bell housing - can't remember). There is a single bolt clamp for the exhaust pipe which connects to the hole on the end.

If that is part 663794 which is for the pre 1967 single downpipe then it mounts vertically with the single hole on the end 'up' and it probably bolts to the transmission or the back of the bell housing, definitely unsure about that! It uses an exhaust clamp that is U shaped.

Edit After looking at the photo a second time it definitely looks like the 67+ bracket which mounts horizontally. Part #9 in this photo

https://www.cvi-automotive.se/images.../0010018be.gif
Thank you 142 Guy. It is the twin pipe bracket (672262) and you have hit the nail on the head. I can't work out how it attaches to either the transmission support bracket or the bellhousing. I could really do with a photo of it in situ on a car. Cheers
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 22:35   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you look at where the block and bell housing are bolted up on the exhaust side, right at the bottom adjacent to the sump you will see two blots quite close together. These are the ones used to hold the bracket. At the pointed end of the bracket there is just one hole. This is used for a circular clamp that goes round the exhaust. It is is used to stop the pipe resonating and cracking the exhaust manifold. They are often missing. Volvo started using them on the B16 which did have a problem with cracked manifolds but the B18/20 ones are less prone to this problem. See page 13 here.
extension://bfdogplmndidlpjfhoijckpakkdjkkil/pdf/viewer.html?file=http%3A%2F%2F212.247.61.152%2Fus% 2Fzf0001_dokument%2Famazonkatalog_us.pdf

Block showing the two holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 holes for exhaust bracket.jpg (102.6 KB, 29 views)
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 22:43   #7
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1200gs View Post
Thank you 142 Guy. It is the twin pipe bracket (672262) and you have hit the nail on the head. I can't work out how it attaches to either the transmission support bracket or the bellhousing. I could really do with a photo of it in situ on a car. Cheers
I am a pratt!

It mounts to the back side of the transmission, not the front. Two bolt holes on the rear face of the transmission case at the very bottom of the back side of the transmission . Probably about 4-5" below the center line of the output shaft on the transmission.

I don't have photo posting privilege's so I can't oblige with visual evidence!

Last edited by 142 Guy; Sep 6th, 2020 at 22:45.
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 19:37   #8
steve1200gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
If you look at where the block and bell housing are bolted up on the exhaust side, right at the bottom adjacent to the sump you will see two blots quite close together. These are the ones used to hold the bracket. At the pointed end of the bracket there is just one hole. This is used for a circular clamp that goes round the exhaust. It is is used to stop the pipe resonating and cracking the exhaust manifold. They are often missing. Volvo started using them on the B16 which did have a problem with cracked manifolds but the B18/20 ones are less prone to this problem. See page 13 here.
extension://bfdogplmndidlpjfhoijckpakkdjkkil/pdf/viewer.html?file=http%3A%2F%2F212.247.61.152%2Fus% 2Fzf0001_dokument%2Famazonkatalog_us.pdf

Block showing the two holes.
Thanks Derek, I looked today, and one of those holes on mine has a locating pin in it and the other has a bolt through the bell housing to the block. Is that a B18 engine in the picture? Thanks again.
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 23:33   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

It's actually a B20. See here and use Google translate If you are windows 10 and running Edge you can use the auto translate. You might have to install it free from the apps. Note on the picture that one of the bolts has the earth strap on it. 142 says that the bracket goes on the gearbox. I don't think I have seen it there and I think it would make the single hole end too far away from the exhaust pipe. I think I have one on my B18 Estate but I've not been near it for a while due to lock down. I'm still basically still keeping indoors!

https://www.volvop1800club.se/forum/...php?f=5&t=1475
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 19:12   #10
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
It's actually a B20. See here and use Google translate If you are windows 10 and running Edge you can use the auto translate. You might have to install it free from the apps. Note on the picture that one of the bolts has the earth strap on it. 142 says that the bracket goes on the gearbox.
You are likely correct. On the 140, the exhaust bracket (which is a different part #) does mount to the back of the gearbox. On the 140, I don't think the double down pipe has merged to the point that you could mount the bracket on the back flange of the engine and use the lamp meant for a single tube. Perhaps the double down pipe for the B18 / B20 in the Amazon merges sooner. I can see that mounting point working for the single down pipe which has the mounting bracket hanging vertically from 'something'.