Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Entertainment system shut down

Views : 4513

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 17:17   #1
Wurzal

Default Entertainment system shut down

There I am driving along in my 17 reg xc60 D5 R design with radio on, when all at once entertainment system shuts down, no radio nav or media and screen goes blank. All come back on after about 1.5 mins and all work ok.

Any one any idea's if i should go further or just leave it as a one off.
Wurzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 18:18   #2
Rex65

I've been slated for sating this before, but it's a computer and every now and then it just feels like rebooting itself.
My XC60 does it, my Skoda did it previously and my Jag does it too......
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 20:46   #3
Toprivetguns

Experienced this once and thought nothing more of it. Re-booted and all still works fine. If it persists I'd inquire further.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 17:37   #4
Spike56
Master Member

Just give it a couple of years and your self driving car does the same thing!!

Spare undies with the space saver!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 12:51   #5
Craig S

This is most definitely not an isolated incident, albeit not one I have experienced first hand.

I have a friend with a 17 plate v60, and so far the infotainment system has shut down at least twice on them. It sounds like the most recent infotainment system has a few bugs in it causing it to shut down without warning.

The main time this will be an issue is where you are using the sat nav in an unfamiliar area and it shuts down as you are driving. More of an inconvenience than an issue but still a pain
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig S For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 13:10   #6
buzzman

I’ve been experiencing this problem more, and more regularly with my V60 67 Reg 2018 year model car.

I put the first incident I had back in the summer (July) of the infotainment system becoming completely unresponsive down to the extremely hot weather we had been having.
I was driving with the iPod connected and playing, the Sat Nav was in guidance mode.
At first I thought Some of my centre console buttons weren't working. I'd press to change between Nav and Media and nothing appeared to happen the screen stayed the same.
Eventually the screen would switch. The response to button presses seemed to get progressively worse, It became apparent it affected all functions, ipod tracks could not be moved on etc.
Eventually the infotainment system shut itself down and restarted. There were about three more incidents in quick succession that the system shut itself down & restarted (in a matter of minutes). Each time between restarts the infotainment system was still sluggish and unresponsive.
Eventually normal service was resumed, and the problem seemed to have resolved, after the final shutdown and restart.

There have been a few more incidents like I mentioned above, none quite to the same severity, several involved seeing a noticeable sluggishness to respond to requests, but resolved without the system shutting down and restarting during the drive.
The last one I experienced was last weekend when the system did shut down and restarted after becoming completely unresponsive.

The problem wasn’t a one off as I first thought and seems to have become more frequent.

I’m contacting my local Volvo garage to book the car in to be looked at. I forgot to mention the problem when the car was in for its first service back in September.

I assume if there are software updates for the infotainment system these are carried as standard during the service.

Have any of you experienced similar problems?

Is there a way of shutting down and restarting the infotainment system manually? Instead of waiting what can be several minutes for the system to decide itself that a shut down and restart is required.
buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 13:09   #7
GZOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzal View Post
There I am driving along in my 17 reg xc60 D5 R design with radio on, when all at once entertainment system shuts down, no radio nav or media and screen goes blank. All come back on after about 1.5 mins and all work ok.

Any one any idea's if i should go further or just leave it as a one off.
Hi,

I have a 2018 S90 and had this once in May, i was driving on the motorway and my dash just went blank. To say I cacked my pants is an understatement. But while I was driving it all started up again.

It seems it was a one off.....
GZOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 20:53   #8
buzzman

I finally got round to getting my V60 booked into the dealership to have the problem with infotainment system becoming completely unresponsive looked at.

I took the car in today, and after describing the issues I was seeing which were becoming more and more often (iPod & Sat NAV mainly being used - Sluggish response to any iPod commands to change track etc, & inability to switch instantly between Nav & Media screens, leading to a complete reboot of the system often then requiring multiple reboots as the problem often was still present after reboot.).

The dealer was able to download some error codes recorded by the car and the Volvo diagnostics tools were able to tell that the car had an issue that could be fixed with some software updates.

The dealer couldn't guarantee that this software update will have fixed the issues I've been having, but I'm pleased that they were able to find something wrong in the first place, as the issues were intermittent.

Having first had problems with this issue back in July this year, & having forgotten to mention the problem when the car was serviced in September when all software updates etc are performed, I wonder if:
1.) This is a recent software fix from Volvo that hasn't been available long.
2.) If the software fix had been available a long time was not done as part of the cars last service as this isn't part of the standard software updates / checks for newer software.
3.) A known problem that Volvo only implement a fix for (case by case) when the problem occurs (i.e. on specified failure).

If anyone else is having similar issues it might be worth checking with your dealer as it looks like it's something that can be easily fixed.

I'll post here on the forum if the fix hasn't worked.
buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 10:17   #9
id5
Premier Member

I have had this happen once in the V40 but never had it happen in either of the XC60's. My wife drives the XC60 and I would have been told repeatedly if it had happened.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 15:48   #10
Toprivetguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
I have had this happen once in the V40 but never had it happen in either of the XC60's. My wife drives the XC60 and I would have been told repeatedly if it had happened.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toprivetguns For This Useful Post: