Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Euro4 D5 / 2.4D DPF or Sensor Issue ?

Views : 9041

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2016, 11:40   #11
graemedench
spanner

Hi

Ok some progress I think. I think it is blocked. the pipe from the pre DPF is getting very hot and the other not. The car wont rev above 1500 I think the sensor has now died ? with the ignition off and post sensor calibration it reads a sensor fault and stupid high number then with the ignition on you can see it starts to read now but still sees a fault.

the EGR doesn't look right to me or does that seem ok ?

so... DPF clean or replace , Sensor replace ? EGR issues ? I will meter out the cables to the DPF sensor again it doesnt take long. Or is the ECM having an issue.. (unlikely I would think)

I should add it has an aftermarket head unit in place and the config error is related to the other AQS sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2911.jpg (205.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2908.jpg (275.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2912.jpg (198.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2910.jpg (214.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2913.jpg (175.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by graemedench; Jun 18th, 2016 at 11:43.
graemedench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 13:16   #12
5cilinder
Premier Member

First your EGR is fine it needs to be closed or a tiny bit open during regeneratiom
That 100% value means 100% closed so thats good

The curious thing is that the ecm says that the soot is gone (0,52 gram) but the pressure sensor indicates that its blocked
Now that indicates to me a faulty sensor/tubing .

What do you mean with the pipe gets hot? the sensor tubing? if the pipe gets hot quickly than that indicates a leak , and the flow makes it hot , if its airtight it cant flow and stays "cool " apart from some conduction heat
So if its leaking pre dpf and not post dpf you get an abnormal pressure difference .
Also the pressure reading of the sensor with engine off is not normal .
Also the sensor self could be leaking/malfunctioning

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 18th, 2016 at 13:44.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 15:00   #13
graemedench
spanner

Hi

Yes the tubing was hot on one side of the sensor. I understand what your saying about the flow. I will check the tubing and sensor for leaks from the dpf end with the sensor still plugged in, I guess that will tell me if the sensor is leaking as well. I also have a laser thermometer so I will confirm temperature across the DPF with that (if i can find it!)

I will check all of this over and report back, I may take the DPF off again to see how it looks and get pictures. All the studs were replaced with nuts and bolts so its easy enough just now.

Thank you for your time

Graeme
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 15:03   #14
5cilinder
Premier Member

If the sensor is leaking the heat could easily destroy it beside of any faulty readings
I would leave the dpf on for now, rule out/or fix the sensorside first and save yourself some work you cant look deep enough in the dpf anyway

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 18th, 2016 at 15:06.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 15:23   #15
graemedench
spanner

will do, I'll take the pipe work right off etc and thoroughly check it.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 17:14   #16
graemedench
spanner

Hi

I've taken the pipework off and the pre-dpf rubber pipe that goes into the sensor is slightly damaged, I will dig round my parts boxes and try find a replacement. I've probably damaged that last time I put the sensor on this morning and hence the heat. And differing results.

I've done a little testing on the sensor (not very scientific) the three pictures show :-
sensor in free air - 0hPa
Light pressure on the Post DPF input - 65535hPa
Light Pressure on the Pre DPF input - 3hPa

I'm not sure why it wouldn't calibrate out the reading this morning but I'll get it all properly reassembled and hopefully it will calibrate properly then It might let me perform a forced re-gen.

Also note I wasn't getting the faulty signal this afternoon with the sensor in free air. I imagine it throws the faulty signal when it sees more pressure post DPF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2914.jpg (85.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2918.jpg (80.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2919.jpg (56.6 KB, 15 views)
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 17:17   #17
5cilinder
Premier Member

Yes it only throws a code when difference is to much (or less)
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 14:56   #18
graemedench
spanner

Hi

Thought I'd post up, I'm away till Wednesday so I won't have a chance to report any updates until then, anniversary weekend. I've been told no cars lol, I've found some rubber hose to replace what's there so I'll get that done and report asap. Many thanks again

Graeme
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 15:19   #19
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemedench View Post
I've been told no cars lol,
Graeme
Mmm that needs some fixing too
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 20:43   #20
graemedench
spanner

OK Some progress ... I guess

Made up the new sensor hose etc. put it all on. Calibrated.
Started the car, POP! it popped the hose off the pre-DPF side.
The thing is completely blocked!

Took the DPF back off the car and yeah sure enough, I think Its stuffed looks like heat and pressure damage.

So now I'm onto the problem of why! could a leaking injector do this ? I seem to recall seeing a lambda value around 4-5 at some point, would this indicate too much fuel ?
I started the car with the DPF off, Of course it wasn't happy, no heat sensor etc .... however it started and a few big clouds of black (my neighbors love me) the soot had lessened but still more than I would think is reasonable.

Should I run it for a little longer and get Lambda values ? and maybe run a leak off test maybe check rail pressure. Or am I worrying about nothing and I just have soot from the blocked DPF coming out. My concern is I had no warning it just went straight to soot filter full