Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Low Beam Bulb Failure" Factory Bi Xenon Issues

Views : 5100

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2016, 13:06   #1
kwills

Default "Low Beam Bulb Failure" Factory Bi Xenon Issues

Before I take a sledge hammer to the lights I thought I would check here for any info first..
Getting the low beam failure warning on the dash when the drivers side xenon light drops out. I can't seem to figure this out. The xenon kit is Volvo standard kit. I have replaced the bulbs with new D2S bulbs with no joy. The lights will run for a few minutes and then knock off again. If I knock the lights to sidelights then back to on this will work but it's very intermittent.. I have cleaned all the contact points and made sure the connectors are in place.. all looks well.

Any suggestions?
kwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 15:46   #2
MacV50
Master Member

Sounds more like an issue with the electronics rather than the bulb especially since you've changed the bulb. Have you tried swapping the ballasts from one side to the other to see if the problem follows it?
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 19:02   #3
BJB

My Hid's did the same thing and it was the ballast . When I looked into it, it was suggested that there was a Master and a Slave ballast( 06 V50). Both my lights were playing up, N/S more than the O/S, so I removed the plastic drivers inner wing and checked the connections, took the number off it. It was still playing up, so reluctantly ordered a New one (eBay £85) and fitted it to O/S thinking it was a Master, WRONG, N/S still not right. Removed N/S inner wing, guess what, SAME Number. The other (old) ballast is still occasionally playing up, so might have to get another ballast. Mod kit now on ebay £35........
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BJB For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 23:03   #4
kwills

Thanks for your input. I could change the ballasts over to see if that makes a difference.

BJB : Do you have a link for the mod kit? I think I need to give the ballasts a bit more attention. My wife uses the car as she works nights so for the sake of my poor ears it's in my best interest to get this resolved sooner than later hehe.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 09:26   #5
BJB

I find that they drop out after 2-3 minutes, but alright when reselected. Being DRL, they haven't done too bad for 10yr 100k. Can't do a proper link but (380321160225). These are actually finishing today, but no doubt will be relisted. Worth asking if leads are compatible without any alterations. ..
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 15:20   #6
kwills

Thanks for sending the Id number across.. just had a good look at the them. They look nothing like the ones I have as standard. The ones I have are like a block that twist on the back end of the bulb but I can see how these can fit. I will ask them about the wiring alterations as it looks like I will need to snip the positive and negative to wire up to the spades on this unit. Mine drop out after 2-3 minutes as well, thanks again!
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 17:23   #7
BJB

Hi. They aren't ballasts, they are IGNITORS. The BALLASTS are tucked under the wings. You need to remove the Plastic sections, and you will find them close to where you would expect to see the headlight unit, BUT under the Wheel arch.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 19:40   #8
iantowil

I had the ballast fail on my C70 - under the passenger front wing on mine. Switched the igniters and bulbs and same side always failed, so ballast was next on the list. Volvo replaced FoC, but the car was only just out of warranty. Anyway, problem solved with the ballast change.

Nearly forgot. New bulb seemed to solve the problem, but problem returned after 3 months and then did the ballast change.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iantowil For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 20:36   #9
kwills

Like a numpty, I have been checking the connection between the igniter and bulb and scratching my head as to why I can't solve the issue. I know the bulbs are fine. In process of elimination I will switch the igniters then switch the ballasts. Thanks for all your help, this has been driving me mad!
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 21:02   #10
BJB

After undoing the 3 torx screws, try and prise the ballast down square to the holder as possible . It has a tight seal and less likely to damage the pins. Hope you cure the problem quickly.....